JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

You cant tell me this poor planet isnt screwed up bad.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2730 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Yesterday Tuesday July 12 2016 it was hotter here in Kitchener Ontario than it was in Arizona. We had a high with humidex of 42 C. Arizona only hit 37. Pretty weird.  We have had 0 rain in over 2 weeks now. We are in drought conditions now. 

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=909752

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Hope you get some relief from the heat and drought, Brother Greg.Hot and bothered.gif

We just had haul and wrap round bales in that same sort of unbearably HOT weather.Hotter than hot.gif

The Upper Peninsula rarely gets tornadoes and even more rarely experiences flooding.

Yesterday, we got our third tornado for the year and 10 inches of rain caused major flooding on the west end of the peninsula.

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/07/another_tornado_strikes_michig.html

The State of Michigan announced the activation of the State Emergency Operations Center this morning due to the severe weather in Gogebic County.
http://abc10up.com/western-u-p-suffers-storm-damage/

Weather ain't the only weird thing going on, either.  Michigan is being visited by birds that shouldn't be here.

We had a dead Violet Green Swallow in our driveway:

Violet green swallow.jpg

This is its normal range:

Violet green swallow range.jpg

For the past few weeks, there has been a Crested Caracara in Munising, Michigan (where my KH is located)

and birders, from all over the state have been 'flocking' to see it :

Crested Caracara.jpg

This is its normal range:

Caracara map.jpg

Now, today, a Wandering Tattler has been spotted on one of Lake Michigan's beaches:

Wandering Tattler.jpg

Its normal range is along the Pacific Coast:

Wandering-Tattler_map.jpg

Guess these abnormal natural phenomena are the new normal,Sigh.gif

as Satan's septic system of things draws to a climactic--and chaotic--close.Panic Attack.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Sounds like something might be going down out west, (like California) the animals seem to sense it first. O well, bye, bye west coast.

Preach The Word....Be At It Urgently. 2 Tim. 4:2

1 hour ago, paulc said:

Sounds like something might be going down out west, (like California) the animals seem to sense it first. O well, bye, bye west coast.

...goodbye....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Eeeek, want company?

Edited by Miss Bea

Hmm. Myriad of choices

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

3 hours ago, paulc said:

3 hours ago, paulc said:

Eeeek. Want company?

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I wonder if the wildfires in CA are the reason why some of these birds are going farther inland?  My sister asked me the other day if I've been seeing any hummingbirds.  She said she has only seen one this year.  She heard that thousands of them were killed in a bad storm (she couldn't remember where).  Just yesterday I was driving to work and saw an Eastern Blue Bird.  We normally only see those in a one week period at the just before spring.  To see one in the middle of summer here in Indiana is rare.

That Violet Green Swallow is gorgeous!  Love to have some colorful birds like that around here, how sad that it was dead.  That Crested Caracara would be a sight to see too!  I can't imagine who it got way up there from it's natural habitat!  I'll bet is has quite the story to tell, if it could only speak!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

2 hours ago, shali said:

I wonder if the wildfires in CA are the reason why some of these birds are going farther inland?  My sister asked me the other day if I've been seeing any hummingbirds.  She said she has only seen one this year.  She heard that thousands of them were killed in a bad storm (she couldn't remember where).  Just yesterday I was driving to work and saw an Eastern Blue Bird.  We normally only see those in a one week period at the just before spring.  To see one in the middle of summer here in Indiana is rare.

That Violet Green Swallow is gorgeous!  Love to have some colorful birds like that around here, how sad that it was dead.  That Crested Caracara would be a sight to see too!  I can't imagine who it got way up there from it's natural habitat!  I'll bet is has quite the story to tell, if it could only speak!

The Violet Green Swallow was hit by a truck.  When the truck slowed down to turn into our driveway, the bird fell off the front grill.  Everyone is wondering how the caracara will make it back to Mexico.  We may have to take up a collection and get it a plane ticket.  It is a ground falcon.  How strange does that sound?  Has been feasting on insects in a mowed field beside a paper mill parking lot.

This is what the ultra-rare flash flood did to one of our major highways:

4668.jpeg

We don't have train transportation here, so this is MAJOR inconvenience for travelers.

The shortest distance between point A and point B is no longer a straight line.:(

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2016 at 4:33 PM, Friends just call me Ross said:

The Violet Green Swallow was hit by a truck.  When the truck slowed down to turn into our driveway, the bird fell off the front grill.  Everyone is wondering how the caracara will make it back to Mexico.  We may have to take up a collection and get it a plane ticket.  It is a ground falcon.  How strange does that sound?  Has been feasting on insects in a mowed field beside a paper mill parking lot.

This is what the ultra-rare flash flood did to one of our major highways:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e37124b5af0ec8e5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e37124b5af0ec8e5imageproxy.php?img=&key=e37124b5af0ec8e5

4668.jpeg

We don't have train transportation here, so this is MAJOR inconvenience for travelers.

The shortest distance between point A and point B is no longer a straight line.:(

More main roadways washed out in the Upper Peninsula.  

Record rainfalls and flooding in the U.P.?  Unheard of...normally.

Weather here has truly gone loco.

Detroit Free Press

Flooding closes parts of roads in the U.P.

Associated Press12:14 p.m. EDT October 18, 2016

(Photo: Getty Images/iStockphoto)

MARQUETTE -- Flooding following heavy rains is closing portions of some roadways in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

The Michigan Department of Transportation says U.S. highway 41 at the Chocolay River in Marquette County is closed Tuesday morning due to water over the roadway and Michigan highway 94 west is closed about 2 miles west of US-41 due to a washout.

State police say several other roads are closed along the river.

The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning in the area following the rains, which fell starting Monday evening. Forecasters say that flooding is likely along small creeks and streams, rural roads and farmland along with some other low-lying areas.

Road Closed.jpg

Ambulances have to make long detours, endangering their patients' lives. 

The US Coast Guard water rescue teams are helping local first responders search for victims.

These flooded roads are major highways.  Their closure is wreaking havoc with commerce and tourism.  People can't get to work.

Yet another reason I'm relieved that the Great Lakes don't spawn hurricanes.  

A measly four inches of rain brings us Yoopers enough grief.Sigh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

2nd Massive Ice Avalanche in Tibet

By Eleanor Imster in EARTH | October 27, 2016

In July 2016, a massive and mysterious avalanche sent glacial ice and rock spilling down a valley in the Aru Range of Tibet, killing nine people. In September, a second massive avalanche occurred just a few kilometers to the south of the first.

Glaciologists don’t know what caused the avalanche in July. Both temperature and rainfall amounts had been normal in the the months before the avalanche. And, most surprisingly, the part of the glacier that collapsed sat on fairly flat terrain. The second avalanche makes the story even stranger. Andreas Kääb is a glaciologist at the University of Oslo. In a statement from NASA’s Earth Observatory, Kääb said:

“Even one of these gigantic glacier avalanches is very unusual. Two within close geographical and temporal vicinity is, to our best knowledge, unprecedented.”

http://earthsky.org/earth/2nd-massive-ice-avalanche-in-tibet

tibet-glaciers-collapse-2016.jpg

Satellites images of the twin avalanches, acquired June 24 -September 24, 2016. The June 24 image shows the area before either avalanche occurred; the July 21 image shows the first avalanche; the September 24 image shows the area after both avalanches. (Notice that the older avalanche appears significantly darker than the newer one in the later image. The brightness of a radar image varies based on the “roughness” of the surface and how much moisture it contains. Rougher surfaces and those with low water content appear brighter. The first avalanche either had a smoother and/or wetter surface than the newer avalanche, most likely because ice on the surface of the older avalanche has been exposed longer and had time to partially melt. Distinguishing between wetness and surface roughness based on this satellite imagery is not possible.) Image via NASA.

That is interesting, Ross.  It seems to relate to what is happening in the area called the "The Third Pole", the largest area of frozen water outside of the North and South poles - the area encompassing the Himalayas which feed the main river systems of Asia.  In this other thread, I referred to this article: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-25/climate-change-the-third-pole-under-threat/7657672

Professor Qin Xiang, one of China's leading glaciologists, has been making the journey to the Third Pole for more than 10 years, and says at first the melt might provide a false hope.

"The volume of water will increase in the short term, but with the shrinking of glaciers in the next 30 years it will decrease, and drastically affect agriculture and life here," he says.

He's found the glacier melt is happening much faster than anticipated, and says the urgent task is to understand the complexity of what's happening.