JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Shooting in Munich shopping mall

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2801 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Please pray for our brothers and sisters in Munich! They have their RC today and I've heard from a sister they can't leave the hall yet.  The shootings happened very near the convention hall (like 5 minutes) and the shooters were still not arrested.  

Edited by Astrid

18 minutes ago, Astrid said:

Please pray for our brothers and sisters in Munich! They have their RC today and I've heard from a sister they can't leave the hall yet.  The shootings happened very near the convention hall (like 5 minutes) and the shooters were still not arrested.  

It's after 9 p.m. there :( 

If the shootings started at around 6 according to the media then most of the brothers should have already left by that point as the sessions finished at 5. ?

Edited by Mykyl

I wonder if that area is on lockdown? The news said the authorities are advising everyone that's inside to stay there or if they're outside to seek safety.

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Today Munich was hit by a terrorist attack. The terrorists killed several people in a shopping mall. In the same street we have an assembly hall and today a RC was held. Shortly after the finish of the program the attacks began. At this point about 200 brothers and sisters were still at the hall. The brothers locked the doors to the hall and no one was allowed to leave. They were singing songs ans watching JW Broadcasting. At this point (it's 10:33 pm here), the brothers try to organize the opportunity for the brothers to leave, if they want to. The problem is: many brothers parked their cars in the mall where the shooting happened. So they are trying to get access to their cars. But most of the brothers are going to stay there over night. The police didn't cought the shooters yet, so it is dangerous in the city. The saturday and sunday program was canceled. 

I will post new information if available. 

If the shootings started at around 6 according to the media then most of the brothers should have already left by that point as the sessions finished at 5. ?

A sister posted this quote elsewhere:

"The assembly took longer because they heard the talk from Bro Sanderson in Zurich in Switzerland. This may have saved some lives."

33 minutes ago, harmania said:

Isis related ?

This was my first thought too, but there are some points which doesn't fit in the IS actions. The terrorists didn't kill themselfes nor did they let the police shoot them. They are fleeing at the moment. Then a witness (not JW) said that he saw how one of the shooters shouted nationalistic things against refugees. So maybe it was a political attack. We don't know yet. 

Edited by juliansan

5 minutes ago, juliansan said:

Yes, I'm so glad that the terrorists didn't go to the assembly hall. What a tragedy that would have been. 

How would they pass 2 angels guarding the gates ?  :)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

7 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

How would they pass 2 angels guarding the gates ?  :)

I remember a few years ago a man ran into a Kingdom Hall (City of Bielefeld, Germany ) and wanted to shoot everyone. He was angry, because his daughter became one of JW's. So he came into the hall, tryed to shoot and... his gun didn't work. Even the police said in an interview that they couldn't explain it. The gun is okay and shoud have worked. Maybe an angel put his finger into the gun? :D

Edited by juliansan

51 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

I heard the shooting was around 5:30 at the OEZ mall

4 minutes ago, juliansan said:

This was my first thought but there are some points which doesn't fit in the IS actions. The terrorists didn't kill themselfes nor did they let the police shoot them.

One guy did shoot himself before getting arrested, I heard.

By the way, apart from this mall shooting, the internet is abuzz with rumours that there was at least another simultaneous shooting in Karlsplatz, Stachus, a few kilometers further into the town center. Police are not denying this nor confirming it. We will know more by tomorrow.

But an interested person in our hall who is an office clerk at the Munich police cavalry was called into duty two minutes into the meeting. Meaning this is being handled as an extreme situation where they want all hands on deck.

5 minutes ago, juliansan said:

I remember a few years ago a man ran into a Kingdom Hall (City of Bielefeld, Germany ) and wanted to shoot everyone. He was angry, because his daughter became one of JW's. So he came into the hall, tryed to shoot and... his gun didn't work. Even the police said in an interview that they couldn't explain it. The gun is okay and shoud have worked. Maybe an angel put his finger into the gun? :D

I  remember that....

Coincidence maybe, angelic actions, maybe....guess we will have to ask someone sometime. ..

Interestingly, apparantly a hoax account has been identified on the internet that was created only recently, went friend-shopping and then invited everybody to that exact McDonald's for exactly 4 pm today.

It would fit into the right.wing theory because it was a hoax account with a pretty young Turkish girl, which may have been intended to specifically lure young Turkish boys and girls to that McDonalds to have more foreigners as victims.

Just a theory at this point, of course. We'll know more soon.

So the brothers are sleeping at the convention center?? Guess it would make sense to drive out there and bring some sandwiches, eh?

2 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

Interestingly, apparantly a hoax account has been identified on the internet that was created only recently, went friend-shopping and then invited everybody to that exact McDonald's for exactly 4 pm today.

It would fit into the right.wing theory because it was a hoax account with a pretty young Turkish girl, which may have been intended to specifically lure young Turkish boys and girls to that McDonalds to have more foreigners as victims.

Just a theory at this point, of course. We'll know more soon.

So the brothers are sleeping at the convention center?? Guess it would make sense to drive out there and bring some sandwiches, eh?

I got a Screenshot from a WhatsApp Group and a sister, who is now at the assembly hall wrote:

"We need more charging cables, but we have more than enough noodles":D. And I heard that the hall is secured by the police. So the brothers can sleep there without worries