JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Travesty of Rio Olympics

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2819 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Bryant Gumbel did an impressive docudrama (?) about the Rio Olympics, as well as looked into other cities where the Olympics have been held and how it affected the native peoples. 

It'll be on HBO again tomorrow, July 30th, at 5-6:30, Lew wanted to see it.

This system is so broken. 'Man has dominated man' is so true with the IOC. Tragic.

I can't watch Olympics anymore, wasn't much into it before but now for sure not into it.

http://www.thepostgame.com/hbo-real-sports-explores-rio-olympics  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

For living in Brazil and not so close to Rio de Janeiro (for being honest I never have been there), Rio and the rest of the country there's no security or even the feeling of security. People dying in the hospitals because there's no doctor or equipments enough for everybody. I'm not gonna talk more about that because I want to keep my neutrality in this issues. Anyway, these game have being a horrible deal to Rio and to the rest of country who has paid off for all that "staging".

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life nor angels nor governments nor things now here nor things to come now powers nor height nor depth nor any other creation will be able to separate us from God's love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38,39

The more I read about these expensive games, the more I felt sorry for the Brazilians who are struggling to look after themselves amidst government upheavals and  corruption claims, whilst facing all this expense that will likely, like Athens games, just leave them the legacy of large under used mostly empty arenas when they need basics of stable authority, security, good housing, education and hospitals.

It stands testimony to the fact we all need a Worldwide fair organised government that only our God can provide!

Many of the facilities and transport infrastructure were unable to be finished because they were drained of funds by corruption and the Culture Ministry was closed after the coup and is still occupied by protesters. With only a few days to go before it begins, It all seems chaotic, which adds to the fears about security at such an obvious target amidst the chaos, fueled also by Zika health scares and kidnapping/mugging worries.

I'm hearing what you all are saying. I'm at a loss for what to say to describe how bad this system is. The bad that used to be jaw-dropping and appalling is now just everyday stuff.  Viscous organizations (corporations) like this one in this system, set out for what they can get for themselves with callous disregard to humanity, keep mowing everyone down in it's path. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

About the only thing I might would watch would be Usain Bolt run and some of the swimming because there are several gators 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~