JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Controversy on baby names

These last days there has been a curious controversy in Spain. The civil registry refuses to allow a couple to name their newborn baby "Lobo" (wolf) since they consider that name is offensive to the baby's dignity.

While it's true that fifty years ago wolves were seen as vermin that had to be exterminated, today most people consider them noble and beautiful animals. Besides, León (lion), Marta (marten) or Paloma (dove) are common names despite being animals. More than 20,000 people have signed a petition in the end it seems the registry is backpedalling due to the social pressure and will allow the parents to have it their way.

All of this raises an interesting debate. On the one hand it's logical that parents have the right to name their babies whatever they like. On the other hand, it sounds equally reasonably that the civil registry has the authority to intervene in the few cases where irresponsible parents choose really inappropriate names. Everybody will agree that it shouldn't be allowed to name a baby Worm, Crap or Satan. But where to draw the line? What if parents want to name their baby Horse, Puppy, Tablecloth... ?

I agree. I had pondered a bit about this while listening to some sports talk just the other day. Some of the US athletes have "interesting " names. 

In addition to some inventive first names, there have been ones like Major, Prince and the like.  What if someone named their son Mister, or Sir, or Lieutenant? 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

I agree. I had pondered a bit about this while listening to some sports talk just the other day. Some of the US athletes have "interesting " names. 

In addition to some inventive first names, there have been ones like Major, Prince and the like.  What if someone named their son Mister, or Sir, or Lieutenant? 

Major Major?  :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

8 hours ago, Qapla said:

Are you able to register Qapla ? LOL 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

When we named our children we were given a list of 'illegal' names that we could not use. I remember ... Satan, Majesty, loads of others just can't remember them. Don't think Jehovah was on the list though - I would have remembered that.

Knew of a child named Sydney Harbour Bridge ... I think she was from Papua New Guinea. Also a Fijian sister called Very nicey. 

Worked with a lovely gentleman called Ido Funcke. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

There;s a woman in the scriptures who was called Hogla. (My daughter always said that if she was going to have kids she would name her son Cletus Festus ... and her daughter Hogla - think she was trying to stir the pot a little).

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

One thing I just learned on our RC is the fact, that in Germany it´s forbidden by law to call your child "Judas".

Anyway, sometimes I´m really surprised what terrible names some parents choose for their children - don´t they think about the future of the poor kids?

As babies they don´t bother, of course. But they will grow up - and they´ll have to live with a name that can really be a punishment!  

Chrissy :wave:

I remember a brother years ago that was in our circuit  and  gave a talk in our Congregation. His name was Bob Slob. :laugh:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

If a child is given a wierd name or one frowned on by the gov't or socirty in general, I think a clause should be put in their birth certificate that allows them to legally change their name when they reach a certain age, without cost.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Just a little update: A judge has finally decided that Lobo (Wolf) is not a derogatory name and has ordered the baby to be registered with that name. So the parents won after all.

Why would an animal name be derogatory though? In many societies animal names are common and sometimes have a very long history.

In brotherly love have tender affection for one another. In showing honor to one another, take the lead.—Romans 12:10.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I had a young lady on my crew named Jaguar. Her father wanted a Jaguar sports car and when she came a long he concluded the only way he would ever afford his Jaguar was to name her Jaguar.

I think the connotation when one heard her name was the cat, not the car.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.