JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Clint Eastwood is directing a biographical film about this unbelievable real-life tale of survival:

01-16-09.jpg

The movie is called "Sully", Tom Hanks plays Captain Sullenberger, and it opens in the USA on September 9th.

http://www.sully-movie.com/

sully-ss2.jpg?itok=VYOCWPxr

636058629059640242-Sully-IMAX-1sht-2764x

If the movie is anywhere's near as good as Captain Sullenberger's book, it should be well worth watching.^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

11 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Clint Eastwood is directing a biographical film about this unbelievable real-life tale of survival:

01-16-09.jpg

The movie is called "Sully", Tom Hanks plays Captain Sullenberger, and it opens in the USA on September 9th.

http://www.sully-movie.com/

sully-ss2.jpg?itok=VYOCWPxr

636058629059640242-Sully-IMAX-1sht-2764x

If the movie is anywhere's near as good as Captain Sullenberger's book, it should be well worth watching.^_^

I know I'll probably get shot down for this, but--

I don't see the heroics...

I  mean, he was a pilot, an airline pilot...he was trained, repeatedly,  for just this; catastrophic equipment failure. 

All he did was his job, no more, no less than Shali with her janitorial or Bob with his demolition  or any other great number of people who just do their jobs...

It was sensational,  sure--- Aircraft full of folk puts down in a river, bunch of other folks help get them out of the water..

Not disrespecting Cap'n Sully.... Good job!.

Not disrespecting the shore based assets... Great going people!

Heroic?...sorry, not seein it..

Fire when ready, I'm already out of range and moving  fast, with Nomex...

12 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I  mean, he was a pilot, an airline pilot...he was trained, repeatedly,  for just this; catastrophic equipment failure. 

All he did was his job, no more, no less than Shali with her janitorial or Bob with his demolition  or any other great number of people who just do their jobs...

It was sensational,  sure--- Aircraft full of folk puts down in a river, bunch of other folks help get them out of the water..

You forgot Richard...lets see, which button do I push, which valve do I turn...:oops:

14 minutes ago, Precision said:

You forgot Richard...lets see, which button do I push, which valve do I turn...:oops:

I agree with Tim. I didn't follow the news event or read the book but my general impression is that the pilot did what he was trained to do, good for him. Maybe one day I'll see the movie and get a better appreciation of what he did.

In the meantime I wont sully his name by discrediting his actions as anything less than heroic....:lol:

Edited by Tortuga

added a pun....
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

This is definitely on my "must-see" list.  What was interesting to me about the trailer is that despite his heroic ( :P ) actions and skills/success at saving everyone, his reputation is called into question because of past issues.  That's part of the story I didn't know and I want to.

2 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Let me be at the front of the firing line. :pistols: :pistols:

Definition of hero: a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Seems to me Sully meets the definition .

Being able to think clearly in a situation that he hadn't been trained for. Nobody gets trained for full loss of power on climb out to be followed by a water landing, it doesn't happen. A truly outstanding achievement. Prior to this event no one had set a jet airliner down on water without breaking it. Having his decent rate so well under control that he could maneuver around the bridge. Keeping enough airspeed to allow a flair on the water landing. Maintaining his cool through the whole event.

My conclusion is that you have never flown let alone landed a aircraft. I have had experience of losing power on climb out in a simple aircraft,  believe me, remaining cool and concentrating on the numbers, continuing to fly the plane while trying to come up with the best options for this very unique situation. I have two JW friends pilots both that can tell you how difficult it is to make the right decisions for a safe landing on terra firma, let alone the Hudson river. One had no viable options and broke the plane, the other managed to actually make safe landing high in the Siskiyou mountains. They were both scared ________ .  As a pilot just watching the news videos was a gut wrenching event. A truly outstanding achievement and that makes him a hero in my book.  

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

23 minutes ago, Old said:

As a pilot just watching the news videos was a gut wrenching event. A truly outstanding achievement and that makes him a hero in my book.  

Thanks for the perspective, I appreciate the insight.

I look forward to seeing the movie.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We just had a brother who is a pilot in his 80's .. Do an emergency landing on a glacier at the end of a box canyon.. Perfect landing .. Week later they got a heavy lift helicopter in to pick it up and put it on a flatbed for transport.. Local hero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

13 hours ago, Old said:

Let me be at the front of the firing line. :pistols: :pistols:

Definition of hero: a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Seems to me Sully meets the definition .

Being able to think clearly in a situation that he hadn't been trained for. Nobody gets trained for full loss of power on climb out to be followed by a water landing, it doesn't happen. A truly outstanding achievement. Prior to this event no one had set a jet airliner down on water without breaking it. Having his decent rate so well under control that he could maneuver around the bridge. Keeping enough airspeed to allow a flair on the water landing. Maintaining his cool through the whole event.

My conclusion is that you have never flown let alone landed a aircraft. I have had experience of losing power on climb out in a simple aircraft,  believe me, remaining cool and concentrating on the numbers, continuing to fly the plane while trying to come up with the best options for this very unique situation. I have two JW friends pilots both that can tell you how difficult it is to make the right decisions for a safe landing on terra firma, let alone the Hudson river. One had no viable options and broke the plane, the other managed to actually make safe landing high in the Siskiyou mountains. They were both scared ________ .  As a pilot just watching the news videos was a gut wrenching event. A truly outstanding achievement and that makes him a hero in my book.  

Well, I've never said I couldn't be corrected, I  will go with your assessment and stand corrected;  Hero he is...

Your conclusion about my flying would be incorrect.

I  have never held a private ticket, I have nowhere near the hours or experience that you hold but I  do have a couple dozen take offs and landings to my credit and I am not unaware of the  fatal consequences of not thinking clearly and concisely in emergency situations. I  have been in a few, still here.

I  meant no disrespect to Capt Sullenberger,  I  had assumed that airline pilots trained for just this kind of event.  I  was wrong. I retract my statements. 

Thank you for your informed and educated posting, I  do appreciate it. 

Edited by carlos

fixed the pilot's name

I went out and bought the Captain Sullenbergers book. I am even more impressed by his achievement. Watching unfold on television didn't give insight into the cockpit. I hope the movie does justice to the actual events. 

I made a comment that no one had landed a jetliner successfully on water, which is true. Here is a video of the same scenario, what we refer to as a dead stick landing on water. The pilots faced the same situation that Captain Sully and his first officer faced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKdVo_IcGs

What makes both of these events so outstanding is they receive no training at all for water ditching an aircraft. This 737 ditching was due to a hijacking, but as in Sully's case they where without engine power, The results were tragically different. As far as I know these are the only two examples of emergency water landings in a jet airliner.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm sitting in the theater waiting for the movie to start.  I get to watch it TSX.  Which means 'almost imax'.  Anyway, it's the biggest screen in the entire Upper Peninsula of Michigan.:D

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Okay, just got home and I'm reviewing the movie .  If you are going to see it someday, DON'T CLICK ON THE SPOILER THINGY BELOW!!!

Spoiler

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this movie an 8.yes.gif

I think Clint Eastwood's directing was...confusing, at times.  Scratch head.gif

The script tries to follow Captain Sullenburger's book, "Highest Duty" but there were too many flashbacks, IMHO.

The movie begins AFTER the Captain has already landed the plane on the Hudson and then flashes back and flashes back and flashes back and flashes back and flashes back and flashes back and flashes back.Confused.gif

I  would have enjoyed the movie more if they would have just started out with the people involved boarding the plane, the plane taking off, the bird-strike, the ditching on the river, the rescue  and THEN gone into all the headaches the DOT gave the Captain and his Co-pilot.  

Maybe Mr. Eastwood's goal was to highlight the post traumatic stress part, more than the actual heroic landing of the plane?  Or, maybe he was just 'on something'? YES Grinning.gifCaptain Sullenburger gave one of the freezing passengers the shirt off his back and you can even see one of the passengers wearing it.  Then, all of sudden, the Captain has his shirt back on.    I can't believe nobody on the film crew or editing crew caught that.

The best line of the film was right at the end.  The DOT panel asked Sully's co-pilot if there was anything he would do differently if he had the chance to experience it all over again.   Captain Stiles said, "Yeah.  I'd do it in July." Laughing Crack up.gif  (It happened in mid-January when it was minus 5 degrees.)

Anyways, it was the first movie in a really looooooooooong time that I didn't wish I could have my ticket price refunded when it  was over. 

The special affects were SPECTACULAR!!!  

Plane.gifDuck.gif

Someone in the control tower used the 'f' word, probably just to get a PG-13 rating for the movie.  Hollywood thinks adults won't go to an approved for all audiences movie.:uhhuh:

I plan to add this movie to my DVD collection when it's released...in around six months or so...if the GT doesn't come before then, that is.^_^

For those who are planning to go see the movie, stay for the end credits.  They show videos and photos of the real crew and passengers.

A nice touch.Yes Smiling.gif

My brother Brother, Peter, said Tom Hanks was on Jimmy Kimmel's show, promoting the movie.   Kimmel surprised Hank's by having the REAL Sully show up on the set.

But Kimmel said the real surprise was that they had put together a film on Tom Hank's movie career starring---Sully as Tom Hanks.   Laughing Crack up.gif 

3 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Okay, just got home and I'm reviewing the movie .  

Hide contents

I saw an interview with one of the NTSB guys that was actually involved in this incident,  he wasn't really happy with the way they were portrayed in the movie. 

He said that the movie made it seem like the interviews that they conducted with the good Captain and others were adversarial when he contends that they were not but were rather in a spirit of cooperation and 'lets get this figured out ' ' attitude ...He had nothing but good things to say about the  Captain and his crew of heroes. ..

51 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I saw an interview with one of the NTSB guys that was actually involved in this incident,  he wasn't really happy with the way they were portrayed in the movie. 

He said that the movie made it seem like the interviews that they conducted with the good Captain and others were adversarial when he contends that they were not but were rather in a spirit of cooperation and 'lets get this figured out ' ' attitude ...He had nothing but good things to say about the  Captain and his crew of heroes. ..

That is what I got from reading the book. As a pilot I have the greatest admiration for Sully. He was so humble about his personal history you would never conclude he exercised judgement almost beyond the capabilities of imperfect man. Not only in regards to the Hudson River, but leadership in flying military jets. I have never heard of any  investigator being accusitve. Bugged me when I saw the trailer.

Will see the movie, take some Rolaids for Eastwood's direction.

On August 10, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Lance said:

We just had a brother who is a pilot in his 80's .. Do an emergency landing on a glacier at the end of a box canyon.. Perfect landing .. Week later they got a heavy lift helicopter in to pick it up and put it on a flatbed for transport.. Local hero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See? Heroes do exist. In a world so full of ugliness, a flash of goodness does the soul good. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Old said:

That is what I got from reading the book. As a pilot I have the greatest admiration for Sully. He was so humble about his personal history you would never conclude he exercised judgement almost beyond the capabilities of imperfect man. Not only in regards to the Hudson River, but leadership in flying military jets. I have never heard of any  investigator being accusitve. Bugged me when I saw the trailer.

Will see the movie, take some Rolaids for Eastwood's direction.

I think many take on careers that have a potentially heroic aspect sewn into the very seams of the fabric ... firemen, doctors, and many others perform 'heroic' duties weekly sometimes even daily. Yes they are trained for them, and yes they are part of the job, but perhaps the heroic aspect is more the willingness to be used in this manner rather thant he carrying out of the actual act. 

I think brother Johan has hit the nail on the head, the heroic aspect came in with his attitude - his humility perhaps which makes the difference between a hero for heroes sake and heros because they put others over and above themselves.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

3 hours ago, Stormswift said:

I think brother Johan has hit the nail on the head, the heroic aspect came in with his attitude - his humility perhaps which makes the difference between a hero for heroes sake and heros because they put others over and above themselves.

Do you mean Jerry or did I miss something?

16 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Yeah I meant Jerry haha ... all these J names, Jerry Johan Jehovah Jesus ... very confusing.

Let me know if Jehovah or Jesus join the forum too...:)

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Let me know if Jehovah or Jesus join the forum too...

Obviously the 'J's have it!

A forum quorum! :ecstatic:

Hasn't been a good day, this is the best I could come up with.:(

23 minutes ago, Old said:

Obviously the 'J's have it!

A forum quorum! :ecstatic:

Hasn't been a good day, this is the best I could come up with.:(

We hope your day improves, bad days are the pits...

Love ya Bro....best wishes and good thoughts aimed in your direction :)