JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Songbook: "Sing Out Joyfully" to Jehovah

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2422 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The Vocal line is intended to give some contrast right there by diminishing the 5th on the last note, and then returning to the note in key beginning in the next line.

it.....means.....our..........life.........We....shun.....the

Eb.......C..........B.........A (Bbb)......Bb.....Eb........Eb

..............half.....whole........half

I know this is what it says, but the Bbb is new with this songbook, and not what we the choir sang on the recordings , and it's not what the orchestra is playing. Which leads me to think it might be an error. Unless they want the orchestra to play Bb, but the singers in the congregation to sing Bbb.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

What you're missing is that relatively few of this non-professional choir know how to read music and the note itself has not changed, so it really doesn't matter. And even for those who do know how to read music, as Bob pointed out, it is only correct to notate it as a B double flat. The previous notation, though not entirely incorrect, was less accurate than how it is now notated. So this change was brought about in the interests of accuracy.

The new arrangement is in reality no harder to sing than the previous notation.
True, if you want to land on an A, but I think that's not the idea here. I think they really want I land on a Bb which do not need Bbb to be played as Bb. When I sing a Bbb is always similar to A.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 10/6/2016 at 11:07 AM, bohemian said:
Wow! A possible error was found!  What next?  Is it a sign of Armageddon being close?  I'm so excited, someone please say it wasn't an error or my whole faith in the fds will be shattered!  They will be IMPERFECT!  :shutup: :scared:

Errors are found every now and then, however hard you try not to include them. As I mentioned above, our technicians got a whole verse wrong when preparing a choral rendition for release. It happens. Spelling errors as well. No big deal. I was just wondering if I possibly read it wrong. Maybe my musical theory teachers forgot this part. Or it's just a simple error that will be corrected with the next update.

On 10/6/2016 at 11:22 AM, SteEis said:
127 (61) is now much more difficult to sing because all two verses are in a row.

I might agree with you, but so many of our friends had no clue where to stop (even though it clearly said stop).

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, jscotchie said:

Yes, if anything I find the new format for song 127 (61) to be much easier to follow. The friends hopefully won't stay standing expecting to sing the chorus after the music stops now :lol:

They still do that after how many years singing it?? :D

Just popping in to say how happy I am that "God's Loyal Love" (#108 in new book) has made the cut across all the books since the Pink one.  This tune, in particular, reminds me of when we first started going to meetings when I was a little girl.  I can hear the lovely voice of our Bible teacher, Sis. Ingram, singing "hey there all you thirsty ones..."  I thought it was so pretty.

I can't wait to see her again in the New World.

When I was a little girl (in the 1960's) I just loved song #66. It didn't make the cut when the songbook was replaced, and I do not remember either the tune or the lyrics, just that I loved song #66 :D .

Edited by Sylv

4 minutes ago, Sylv said:

When I was a little girl (in the 1960's) I just loved song #66. It didn't make the cut when the songbook was replaced, and I do not remember either the tune or the lyrics, just that I loved song #66 :D .

That was "Now's The Time!"  Loved it, too!  #67 was also a favorite!  Check the attachment...

66 and 67.JPG

I do have to say that I like how they organized this song book. The yellow song book was in Alphabetical order based on the first word of the first verse. The 2009 song book not sure how they organized it. This one it is based on subject matter. It will be really nice to see what the slave is intending each song to be used for. 

2 hours ago, Hope said:

That was "Now's The Time!"  Loved it, too!  #67 was also a favorite!  Check the attachment...

66 and 67.JPG

Would you know what it was on the songbook prior to this one? I was in the Netherlands at that time and we were probably somewhat behind, with translation and such.

19 hours ago, Hope said:

They still do that after how many years singing it?? :D

Just popping in to say how happy I am that "God's Loyal Love" (#108 in new book) has made the cut across all the books since the Pink one.  This tune, in particular, reminds me of when we first started going to meetings when I was a little girl.  I can hear the lovely voice of our Bible teacher, Sis. Ingram, singing "hey there all you thirsty ones..."  I thought it was so pretty.

I can't wait to see her again in the New World.

Who is sis Ingram sis Uani? :) 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

Song 41 (56) has no changes.

Song 42 (6) has had major changes to the lyrics, and slight changes to the music. Sample:

While in this world, we have tribulation.
We look to you for hope and consolation.
Father, we throw our burden on you.
Give us the will and strength to continue.
Help us, please, to do your will,
And our vows to you fulfill

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

One song I really loved was You Must Assist The Weak...."who is weak and I'm not weak...."

And the tune I loved was Balsam in Gilead. Didn't quite understand the lyrics at the time but loved the tune.

In the new songbook the song about the weak is 102. Here is a sample verse:
Some at times are weak in faith,
Strong though they appear.
By our reassuring words,
We can calm their fears.
Weak ones to God belong;
His spirit makes them strong.
May we feel their pain and cares,
Help them dry their tears

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

44 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Song 43 (13) has an adjusted title, new lyrics and an adjusted written score.
Song 44 (68) is not changed.

Thanks for sharing these changes with us, Brother Thesauron. Highfives.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

6 hours ago, Skye said:

One song I really loved was You Must Assist The Weak...."who is weak and I'm not weak...."

And the tune I loved was Balsam in Gilead. Didn't quite understand the lyrics at the time but loved the tune.

Both of those lovely tunes are still being used, despite the lyric changes.

26 years ago, I used "You Must Assist The Weak" as someone's wedding song... the Kingdom Melody arrangement of it was simply beautiful!  :wub:

Song 45 (57) is not changed.
Song 46 (2) is not changed.
Song 47 (67) is not changed.
Song 48 (48) has slightly changed lyrics.
Song 49 (11) has lyrics that have been changed a bit.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 10/6/2016 at 10:53 AM, Thesauron said:

I know this is what it says, but the Bbb is new with this songbook, and not what we the choir sang on the recordings , and it's not what the orchestra is playing. Which leads me to think it might be an error. Unless they want the orchestra to play Bb, but the singers in the congregation to sing Bbb. emoji848.png

Okay, I just played and recorded the song with a Bbb (i.e. A natural) and again with just a Bb. The A natural sticks out like a sore thumb and the Bb sounds much better. I then checked the old songbook and everything is identical, same key, same notes, etc. So, either this is accidental is an error, or there is another reason for using this accidental that I am not aware of.

So I have to retract my previous statements that I made assuming that the music was written correctly, Johan, as now I am not so sure. Good eye and good catch!

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!