JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Mysterious illness tied marijuana use on the rise in states with legal weed

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2673 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

They dress it up, call it,  "medical", etc, but, in essence this is a drug, perpetrated by a culture, with no real solid medical  research. It is, "learn as you go", and, i do believe it has bambooled almost all. As we so often say, we cannot put a pear on an apple tree, and now call it a apple. An apple is still an apple, and call it what you may, marijuana  is a drug. It is what is is, and like so many other things that this system has mainstreamed, it ain't pretty. But, don't tread there. You will step on toes! In almost any setting. 

Edited by Miss Bea

Spelleng

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

3 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

They dress it up, call it,  "medical", etc, but, in essence this is a drug, perpetrated by a culture, with no real solid medical  research. It is, "learn as you go", and, i do believe it has bambooled almost all. As we so often say, we cannot put a pear on an apple tree, and now call it a apple. An apple is still an apple, and call it what you may, marijuana  is a drug. It is what is is, and like so many other things that this system has mainstreamed, it ain't pretty. But, don't tread there. You will step on toes! In almost any setting. 

Miss Bea, I feel that there may be some inaccuracies  in your statement.  There has been a tremendous amount of research into the health benefits of cannabis and it has already helped many hundreds of people.  Probably many thousands. 

The poppy plant produces many things, one of its products is opium and that was a drug that was severely misused,  resulting in many deaths and much pain.

It also produces morphine and codeine, along with other,  more useful items.

The same can be said for cannabis.  It has its misuse but there are a lot of people that have had their quality of life greatly improved by medicine that is extracted from the base cannabis plant. It's not all about smoking it to get high, there are extracts that have very little or no THC in them so the patient gets no 'high' from the medicine,  only relief. 

I have a hard time finding fault with that.  If an extract from a plant can make a 3 year old girl stop having epileptic seisures, knocking the seizure rate from many times a day to maybe once a month I am all for it. If it can help a Brother with advanced Hep C to be able to make meetings and get out in the Ministry,  I'm good with that...

Anything can be misused or abused, weed, alcohol,  power, authority. ..

There are perfectly healthy people that have gotten Rx for weed just so they can get high...I don't have a lot of respect for them but I don't worry too much about that. .

Jehovahs Kingdom is the final best answer and we all are waiting and working and pray that it gets here soonest. In the interim,  if good drugs can be made from plant extract and it benefits some people that's ok by me.

So cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome is caused by heavy use over a long period of time.  The cure is to stop using.  If one doesn't stop, death can result from kidney failure.  This doesn't sound any different from the results of any other drug abuse.  One can die from abusing prescription pain pills,  Aspirin, Motrin and Sleeping pills etc.  As a medication those drugs can be a help and so can certain cannabis products.  The problem with medical cannabis is that it is illegal on a federal level even with a doctors prescription.  Can a Christian take something that is illegal? Your conscience will have to decide. 

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

4 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

Can't fix this. (The format)

I understand the controversy here. And, as I said, in any format, when one speaks out in this matter, this is what happens. And, not much to be done. As most of you know, I live in the middle of this situation. I see what it does to a community. We have tags on our road signs that hint of the Mexican maffia. Then there are the ones above us that are of the Korean nationality. Big growers. They drive past our property regularly. We have deaths. At one time we had four murder trials going on at once. And we do not have a large population here. I could tell you things that make you shudder, told to our brothers by law enforcement. Do a fly over, and there are massive grows all around us. Then there are the explosions regularly caused by the,  "honey oil" cookers. These are in town. A policeman told one of our brothers that 157 females in this part of the state are missing. 

I was told by the same brother, an elder, to stop pulling into a place to sleep when I was tired. Women are not safe. We are afraid of rest stops. Drugs have decimated our community. Satan's biggest tool here. 

It has touched our congregation. With this quasi-legal thing, there is not anything that the brothers can do. It is up to Jehovah. We know who have the 215 cards, perfectly legal, somewhat, and they struggle spiritually. One of those involved comes by our house, talks to my husband about him getting that license to grow. "You will be a millionaire".  Then, here the same person comes to go out in service with us. And he also witnesses to my husband. The brothers hands are tied. And, I assure you, they have,  and are working with our organization regarding this. 

Yes, I am biased. Yes, I hate the stuff. So, I think I should step aside and not create anymore controversy. No amount of anything will make me feel this has been beneficial for us. 

There is more I could say, but you get the gest of my feelings. Can we agree to disagree? On this anyway. 

We agree on so much more wonderful, awesome things. And I love you dearly, brother. 

You can see this is, yes, personal. And, try as I may...this circles around to how I feel. 

One day, it all will be over, and just a sigh of relief, for all so us, who love Jehovah. 

OT. 

I do have to say this underground industry, (untaxed, and in the millions, if not billions of dollars) makes for interesting territory. We have ones come from all over the world, yes, world, to trim the stuff. They can make enough to fly to this county, trim, save enough to fly home, support the family for a year, and back they come the next year. We had one fellow from Russia come to the meeting. The town they come to is maybe a population of 1700. This year, I have noticed some have stayed. You don't place anything with them. You just talk. They can be intimidating. One time, about 40 were hanging around where I wanted to go. Pretty much street people. But they don't panhandle.  

My husband and I have talked about it. There is a college town on the coast. But, they have about had it with these young people. They are policed. Not here. We just don't have enough policemen. They smoke dope openly. Several stores had their windows broken out last night. 

Mix the marijuana with herion and meth. Doesn't do any one any good but for the merchants who love their money.  

Sad truth is this area would be poverty stricken but for this industry. No more mills. And the town they come to is an old lumber town. Without any mills. 

Oh, for the kingdom! 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mysterious-illness-tied-to-marijuana-use-on-the-rise-in-states-with-legal-weed/

Mysterious illness tied marijuana use on the rise in states with legal weed

NEW YORK -- For more than two years, Lance Crowder was having severe abdominal pain and vomiting, and no local doctor could figure out why. Finally, an emergency room physician in Indianapolis had an idea.

Miss Bea,  Sister,  I get where you're coming from.  I was trying to show the difference between stoners smoking all day and the admirable use of a plant extract for beneficial reasons. .

I don't like stoners,  tweekers, drunks, pill poppers, none of that...seen my share and looked away. .

I wasn't talking about that kind of usage...

I would love to have more options for people who have to deal with serious health issues.  Until the Kingdom gets here I feel that anything,  within Scriptural guidelines,  should be available for folks in a bad way to use to relieve their sufferings. ..There are a lot of things that plant extract helps. A lot of the people that benefit from the legal medical use of a plant extract are our Brothers and Sisters.  I'm happy they have options. ..

Even those who use cannabis products for medical reasons can go overboard.  I had a return visit that he and his wife vaped cannabis for pain control.  I tried not be be judgmental but when he ask about coming to meeting stoned I simply said, "I suppose you could but why would you want to.  How could you get anything out of it."  Maybe I wasn't being understanding enough but that ended his desire to do anything more than drugs and his interest in Jehovah.

There it is in the first sentence:  Cannabis has different effects on different people.   This applies to many different drugs, and I am referring to medications here.  I personally have been on a medication for the last 9 years for chronic pain,  and yet I have many friends, including my own son,  who are unable to take it because it makes them ill.  There are also different medications, and even some herbal remedies, that I am unable to take because they make me ill.  We are all different in our chemical make-up and what may suit one may not suit another. The article states that it is a 'rare condition' and it is talking about 98 people out of all the medical and recreational users here.

Medically used cannabis is only just becoming legal here though it has been processed and used for epilepsy, cancer etc. and sold under the counter for quite some time, so I am interested by the fact that Australian researchers were involved in studying this 12 years ago.   I am unsure how long it has been legally used in the US for medical purposes but the article talks about young people and 'heavy, protracted cannabis use'.  This doesn't sound like medical use of the drug. Sounds more like people who have been making cookies and regularly eating them with their morning tea. 

I was married to a drug addict and I am totally against illegal drugs and the terrible effect they have both on individuals, families and society as a whole but we are not talking about illegal drugs here. This is about extracting the medically useful component from the plant and using it for seriously and chronically ill people to find relief from their pain and suffering.  

Many useful drugs in our society have been made from plants but due to the highly publicised information via the media, it is easy to get confused between the medical and illegal use of Cannabis.  If the Poppy ( as Tim talked about in his post above) had been more commonly used to extract Opium in these days of the information highway, we would now be jumping up and down about the fact that we have extracted the useful component of this plant and some of us use it on a daily basis to help with pain ... though it is highly addictive even in it's medical form. But because it has been around for years and many of us know very little about it we just take it for granted, though what was done with the poppy is no different to removing the useful component of cannabis and using it for medical purposes.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

19 minutes ago, rocket said:

Even those who use cannabis products for medical reasons can go overboard.  I had a return visit that he and his wife vaped cannabis for pain control.  I tried not be be judgmental but when he ask about coming to meeting stoned I simply said, "I suppose you could but why would you want to.  How could you get anything out of it."  Maybe I wasn't being understanding enough but that ended his desire to do anything more than drugs and his interest in Jehovah.

Are you sure they were using it for pain control and not spinning you a line?  It is strange that they both needed medically prescribed cannabis. From what I understand, the component that makes you high is removed from medical cannabis. I guess there are people who could take the use of legal, prescibed cannabis and  pretend that is what they are using, when really they just wanted to get high. 

15 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Are you sure they were using it for pain control and not spinning you a line?  It is strange that they both needed medically prescribed cannabis. From what I understand, the component that makes you high is removed from medical cannabis. I guess there are people who could take the use of legal, prescibed cannabis and  pretend that is what they are using, when really they just wanted to get high. 

All I know for sure is that he said they could not afford the prescription pain pills their doctors prescribed any more so they started to grow their own cannabis and  took it after acquiring a prescription of which one can practically get from a bubble gum machine in OR. 

38 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

No. Who would do that? I am sure most if not all who want marijuana legal only want it for SERIOUS medical issues.   (Insert sarcastic grin here :nope:  )

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

56 minutes ago, rocket said:

All I know for sure is that he said they could not afford the prescription pain pills their doctors prescribed any more so they started to grow their own cannabis and  took it after acquiring a prescription of which one can practically get from a bubble gum machine in OR. 

Oh dear. Things aren't like that here.  They are tightening control to such a degree that as from next year we are not even going to be able to buy codeine based painkillers over the counter like we do now.  A prescription will be needed which is going to put even more strain on overworked doctors.  

In 2006, Australian researchers responded to the idea,

Cannabis has been consumed for many centuries and is currently used by millions of people in many countries. It is hard to believe that a distinctive syndrome caused by cannabis has never been noted before by users or clinicians.

I'm afraid whatever you think about marijuana and how bad it is, this quote pretty much sums up my opinion on this particular matter. I smoked weed for over 10 years of my life and my kidneys are perfectly fine, in fact I never experienced any adverse health effects except those that commonly come with smoking in general, like a weakened lung and cardiovascular system. I can not count how many friends I had that smoked as much or more pot than I did, and the only case of a hospitalization we had was one case of nervous breakdown and psychosis. This whole thing sounds like a myth to me.