JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Am I the only one who hates the taste of alcohol?

I decided to start this thread because for a while now I've been wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't like the taste of alcohol. I absolutely hate the taste and could never seem to understand how so many people can drink it... and with a straight face! I have tried many alcoholic drinks and I have never found a single one that tasted good. Because of this I drink about once a year. Sometimes zero times a year. The only time I really do is at a gathering. The moment I take a sip, I regret ever pouring a glass. I really can't see myself ever drinking again. It's not worth the nasty taste. When I was in the world, my worldly friends would tell me that you don't drink for the taste, you drink for the affect. To me, the affect wasn't worth the taste. I simply cannot drink something I don't enjoy. Am I the only one.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Yup....

I knew someone was going to say that. I guess I'll have to be the only one then.  That stuff tastes like isopropyl!

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

10 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Beer, wine, eggnog, everything? 

All of it is nasty to me. Liquor is the worst. Wine is next. Eggnog is ok, but only if you get certain brands. I've never mixed it with alcohol though. I can't see myself liking it in the new world either. The only way I could like alcohol is if there was some tasteless form that you could mix with juice and get the same relaxing feeling without the nasty taste. Is there a tasteless form?

Edited by Brother Jack

How about frozen chocolate milkshakes  While visiting Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands a couple of years ago, they served us a sample Caribbean style Bushwacker with Cruzan Rum. 

You can't taste the alcohol ,  More like an exotic frozen ice cream...  Here's the recipe...enjoy !

http://www.food.com/recipe/bushwacker-88440                  4Q5FJjVSNeQWTqlwxcpp_image.jpg

Edited by Precision

I liked a few drinks when I was able to drink.

Vodka Gimlet - had to be done right, Screwdriver - not too strong,  Licorice Schnapps, Chocolate liquors, but not too much. Liked the taste but not the effect. :drink:.

Beer - the British call it "Bitters" and so it is, unless you are talking weak American beer then it is 'p... water' :deadhorse:

Wine, nope. Could barely tolerate a sweet wine like Mogan David, but dry wines (td)

Gin :sick: Yes it does taste like IPA smells ( rubbing alcohol )

Edited by pnutts

qualified

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

1 hour ago, Precision said:

How about frozen chocolate milkshakes  While visiting Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands a couple of years ago, they served us a sample Caribbean style Bushwacker with Cruzan Rum. 

You can't taste the alcohol ,  More like an exotic frozen ice cream...  Here's the recipe...enjoy !

http://www.food.com/recipe/bushwacker-88440                  4Q5FJjVSNeQWTqlwxcpp_image.jpg

That sounds good :eat:

1 hour ago, pnutts said:

I liked a few drinks when I was able to drink.

Vodka Gimlet - had to be done right, Screwdriver - not too strong,  Licorice Schnapps, Chocolate liquors, but not too much. Liked the taste but not the effect. :drink:.

Beer - the British call it "Bitters" and so it is, unless you are talking weak American beer then it is 'p... water' :deadhorse:

Wine, nope. Could barely tolerate a sweet wine like Mogan David, but dry wines (td)

Gin :sick: Yes it does taste like IPA smells ( rubbing alcohol )

The closest I ever came to liking an alcoholic drink was when I had a half vodka half pineapple mix.

11 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

The closest I ever came to liking an alcoholic drink was when I had a half vodka half pineapple mix.

You might try it with a lower ratio...

:o

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Genuine Vodka is tasteless and colorless.

I also do not like the taste of most alcohol - so, no, you are not the only one.

I don't even drink at gatherings .... unless it is rootbeer - the soft drink kind

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

40 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

You might try it with a lower ratio...

:o

lol it might have been a lower ratio. I'm not sure. I just know it was a vodka/pineapple mix.

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Yup....

I'll drink to that:)-D

I don't drink very much, only about a dozen beers a year,  maybe even less than that because I can't recall the last time I had one...I like Tsing Tao, a Chinese brew.

There are some mixed drinks I like, Denise and I went to a steak house last week and I had a mint mojito. The last time I had one of those was the last time we went there,  about a year and a half ago... (Cattlemens, in Roseville CA)

I like a 7&7 on occasion,  don't remember the last occasion. ..

I like regular margaritas,  ice and salt..I had one about 4 months ago 

I used to drink tequila,  straight,  haven't in a long time..

Same with Jack Daniels whisky... I think the last time I had any of that was in '94 or '95, when I lived in the California desert.

I never did enjoy beer on hot days, it always made me feel bloated. I much prefer blended DHMO on those occasions..

I don't mind good red wine especially with nice dinner ....

Aged whisky ... :) particularly Aberfeldy 12 y old. (nice)

Can't stand vodka.

A Gentleman comes to the shop and asked,

• Give me a bottle of vodka and a bottle of Coca-cola.

After Half an hour he comes again and asked again,

• Give me a bottle of vodka and a bottle of Coca-cola.

After one hour he comes again and asked to the shopkeeper

• Give me a bottle of vodka and a bottle of... of Sprite. It seems Coca-cola makes me sick! :)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I prefer red wine.

Most beers make me feel bloated and I don't like the yeast taste of commercial beers, although we have eaten at some micro brewers and had some really good beer paired with our meal.

I don't care for most hard liquor although I'll have a rum and coke occasionally. Shali's passion fruit and spiced rum sounds good, I might try it one day.

I like a good port on rare occasion. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 hours ago, Qapla said:

Genuine Vodka is tasteless and colorless.

Colorless yes, tasteless only if well hidden in STRONG flavored mix like orange juice or tomato juice.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

15 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

I decided to start this thread because for a while now I've been wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't like the taste of alcohol. I absolutely hate the taste and could never seem to understand how so many people can drink it... and with a straight face! I have tried many alcoholic drinks and I have never found a single one that tasted good. Because of this I drink about once a year. Sometimes zero times a year. The only time I really do is at a gathering. The moment I take a sip, I regret ever pouring a glass. I really can't see myself ever drinking again. It's not worth the nasty taste. When I was in the world, my worldly friends would tell me that you don't drink for the taste, you drink for the affect. To me, the affect wasn't worth the taste. I simply cannot drink something I don't enjoy. Am I the only one.

That's not a bad thing. One less potential problem area to worry about. 

I'll drink to that.....:)-D.   :coffee:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

I only like every other drink, and I dislike the other ones in between  :shrugs:   problem is I keep forgetting which one I put down last  :drink: and which one I liked first :upsidedown:  before the one I thought I didn't like   :lol2:   but by then I sometimes like it too   :backflip:    I think, wait a minute, let me check, I'll be right back   ...    

what were we talking about? :sleeping:

Edited by timpin

22 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

I've been wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't like the taste of alcohol.

OHHH! I'm glad I found this thread! No, Jack, you're not the only one. (Of course, I also saw John's post above.) I'm about in your boat too.

I can "tolerate" a glass of wine, whatever it is the host is serving. But it's certainly not my preference. I just sip it to be sociable (whatever that means). Yeah, it's "tolerable" for me, but that's all. Also, I remember years ago I used to pretend to like rum and coke. That was just "okay" for me. But that was before I was in the truth and even then I just did it to "fit in." I have no trouble doing without that too. But I really cannot stand the taste of beer WHATSOEVER!!!  You couldn't pay me to drink that! I also have about the same opinion of whiskey, gin, vodka, and whatever else has alcohol in it (aside from those two exceptions above).

They say you develop a taste for it over time, but isn't a half a century enough time to develop this so-called "taste"? If someone else wishes to drink some alcohol in my presence, they're welcome to so long as they don't ask me to join them.

I also don't like alcohol. I've tried everything from 50%-off-this, to two-for-the-price-of-one-that. :D

It just seems to give me headaches and I find myself taking a swig in a desperate attempt to get rid of the taste of the last one.

("The only way to get a drink out of him is to stick your fingers down his throat." - Douglas Adams)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

26 minutes ago, Sheep said:

They say you develop a taste for it over time, but isn't a half a century enough time to develop this so-called "taste"? 

I could never understand why someone would spend their hard earned money on something that they don't think tastes good, hoping that they will develop a "taste" for it in the future. I just don't get it. The only way I could do something like that is if it was something that had very high nutritional value.