JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My ancestry DNA results!

23 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

(My ancestry results, yes, I have relation in Africa.

Ny Father-in-law's mother was part African and part indigenous tribe of this continent. I don't have much research on her, yet. My maternal great grandparents are from Sicily. Many rejected me when I married Lenny; I even took a beating and got spit on. MY sister's husband would not allow her to go to my tiny wedding. Later, my same sister and I showed up with a rare cancer type that usually effects black men over age 85. My niece married a black man and got kicked out of the family, came here to see Auntie, but got back in. We postulate that our Sicilian relatives must have had members from the Moors. My mother's Uncles (who kicked me out of the family) were all darker skinned than my husband. Strange that Satan used a minor element like amount of melanin in one's skin to be divisive. If people have a tendency toward hatred, they'll fall for anything. 

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

I have done over 40 trees for all sorts of friends, relatives, work mates over the last 10 years. Trees that went back to Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Germany, France, Netherland, Ukraine, Austria, Hungary, Italy, UK,France, etc.

Brother Lance, how did you learn to do these genetic trees? Is there a course or is it just through experience?  

Pauline

I subscribe to Ancestry, My Heritage, Family Search...etc... numerous government databases and newspaper archives.

It is not cheap to subscribe to all of them at one time. So I do it according to need.

First off you need some accurate records of your parents, grand parents, etc.and their kin the more the better

Most people in North America came over on a ship from whatever location...often England was a gathering point or port to fill the ships, or if there was a ship load they often came direct. In most of Europe the Church and tax authorities kept a record of their parishioners and subjects. It helps to know the language of the country you are searching in.For example old style German handwriting is hard for your average North American to read.

Pauline if you need some help just PM me and I am sure I can at least fill in some of the blanks....

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Pauline if you need some help just PM me and I am sure I can at least fill in some of the blanks....

Wow! Thanks. Lots to know and learn. I was planning to wait til we have a three-4 day snow-in (prediction) to spend some serious uninterrupted time frame. 

I really is a treasure hunt to find friends and family...

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

So true. Every race has a dark history of violence and injustice in one form or another. Its nice that we can put that history behind us and have spiritual brothers and sisters from every race around the world. Our focus is on the future, not the past.

True, but so many of us continue to be affected by injustice today. In the USA we continue to see things that are part of the legacy of slavery and racism like the school to prison pipeline, mass incarceration, economic and systemic injustice, biased attitudes and more. My circuit has a majority of Black brothers and sisters and they still have to navigate and deal with a LOT in this world, it is unfortunately not in the past tense.

Satan is still very actively using racism, violence, injustice and human notions of superiority and supremacy to hurt and oppress many people all over the world. Recognizing this is true just makes our Christian unity even more beautiful. Thank Jehovah we have hope that injustice will disappear along with everything else that is rotten about this nasty old system.

Edited by Esined

for clarity

1 hour ago, Esined said:

My circuit has a majority of Black brothers and sisters

My cherished close friends are black brother and sister from New York and South Carolina - serving as missionaries in Africa.

I am not friends with them because they are "missionaries" but because they are the most beautiful people I ever met. 

They stayed in my house in Australia, and we are constantly in touch.

From the Governing Body I like a lot brother S.Herd. (becoming my favorite) 

I do not understand why people still have problem because of skin color, especially in the truth. (but lets not deviate into this subject)  

When I was baptized, aboriginal elder gave very touching baptism talk. 

I am really color blind, and love variety that Jehovah created. 

For those who have problems due to skin color, I would say hang on a little while :givehug: - very soon Jehovah will fix that. 

He will really fix it!

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Which Dna kit gives names of relatives? Incidentally, there is no true definition of racism. Having been a biology and life science teacher, there is no sub specie beyond race. We ar all part of the human race. (huMAN as in the first man Adam and the first woMAN, Eve. There is no genetic or scientific basis for race. It’s largely a made-up label, used to distinguish and divide us. As Elizabeth Kolbert writes, race is not a biological construct but a social one.

I like a quickie but educational program on PBS called Mossback. His latest show was about Chief Joseph, it short but I thought you'd like to see it, I'm glad I saw it.

https://crosscut.com/mossback/2022/11/mossbacks-northwest-when-chief-joseph-came-seattle

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

On 1/9/2023 at 2:04 PM, *Jack* said:

What the Native Americans went through was horrible, to have a whole country snatched from you and be killed in the process. However, the plight of Native Americans and African Americans/descendants of West Africans aren’t the same. Native Americans were given reparations in various forms, we weren’t and I’m sure never will. I’m not trying to belittle with Native Americans or any other group has gone through, but nobody has suffered the way we have. Period.

@Miss Bea I want to apologize to you because my comment comes off as abrasive. That wasn’t my intent though :hugs:

I’ll have to get back to this topic, don’t have much time to be on here longer.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

3 hours ago, *Jack* said:

@Miss Bea I want to apologize to you because my comment comes off as abrasive. That wasn’t my intent though :hugs:

I’ll have to get back to this topic, don’t have much time to be on here longer.

Don’t worry about it brother. I fully agree with you. Absolutely no offense taken💐

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!