JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My ancestry DNA results!

I have "traced' my DNA using the Bible, and results came in... that I come from Noah's Family! 

Can't wait to meet my grand...grand...grand ..etc parents! 

LOL 🤣

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Senario 1. For the first 20 years of my life, I thought my Dad (Mother's husband and father to three other children) was my father, and according to my birth certificate, he is, at least legally. When I was 20, a man walked up to me on a street corner and said he was my Dad. Turns out, the joke was on me as he certainly (or probably) was, or so family members believed b/c my mother's husband was in jail around the time of conception. My Dad never let on. He had a second family that also considers me their sister. My maternal aunts were not sure about the dates, but say two farmers were sowing the same field. Who knows which one planted the seed?                                                My husband passed away in Sept. and had urged me to do something for me. He admitted I was good at budgeting and that I would never take advantage, financially. My son, Jeff, next to the youngest, and the one who helped me nurse his father 24/7 for the last year, says I should go for the genealogy to find out who really are my sibs, or half sibs, or other family members, and to help clear up some long held questionings.   I had met one cousin on the side of my bio-Dad in the late 70s.

Scenario 2: My sons think they are 50/50 African and Sicilian. My youngest son had a test done and those nationalities are represented, but not 50/50. My father-in-law believed his roots were part African, (and I've searched that one way back.) True that (through his mother). But he thought his original father was deported back to Sicily and that Dad(in-law)"S original name was different before his being adopted. I had looked into some of this while my father-in-law was still alive and promised to keep searching. My recently departed husband thought it was hard to verify old records. He was glad I searched his African maternal ancestry, b/c he thought it would be good for our sons to know, but my Father-in-law's family history is mere legend. I am interested in finding names of genetic relatives for our extended families. Which service is best, cheapest, and gives results on a one shot deal? I understand there are on going monthly plans, and I haven't ruled that out, but would like to have more info on the first go-round. OT (you know me). One of my husband's brother's wife has lots of info, she says, but is not willing to share it or to direct to a tree in progress if any there be. 

I have been specifically interested in my husband's line because his grandmother (passed away before I married) was one of our Spiritual Sisters. When I learned about her I decided, "If no family is there for her in the new system, I want to be there for her." Naturally that broadened my interest in meeting new ones in our promised future.  Hope to see you there, YS,pauline 

Edited by kejedo

This is mine. I was happy to see this thread come up bc I am fascinated by this topic but afraid to bore people IRL with it. 

My dad came from Cuba and my mom’s side of the family is Romanian/Polish Jewish. So most of this was not a huge surprise. I expected Spanish and at least a little African ancestry but I was very surprised by the Scottish and Welsh. I am very fair-skinned though. In doing research I figured out that at least part of my Cuban side of the family probably immigrated to Cuba from the Canary Islands around the 1800s because they live in a region with a lot of Canary Islander immigration and that ethnic mix (everything that isn’t Jewish on my results) is common to Canary Islanders.

The other cool thing is that Ancestry now breaks down which of your DNA comes from each parent, so I learned that both my mom and my dad are 1% North African. 

3E6087A3-292F-480E-B50D-D81F8D84BA35.jpeg

3 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I have "traced' my DNA using the Bible, and results came in... that I come from Noah's Family! 

Can't wait to meet my grand...grand...grand ..etc parents! 

LOL 🤣

I’ve heard my share of comments like this from brothers and sisters when I mention my DNA results. I’ve had some say “what does it matter” or “we all come from Noah.” Because of this, I hardly mention it now. 

But speaking for myself, being a descendant of slaves, a people who had their language taken from them, their history erased, robbed of a knowledge of self and constantly being taught in school that my history started with the trans Atlantic slave trade, I found it important to find out where I came from. Everyone needs a sense of identity. I’ve observed that those who make such comments can’t relate to my experience. 

And I know you were poking fun, but just helping you see things from another perspective.

Edited by *Jack*

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Jack, the horrific history of the slave trade makes me ashamed. How can people be so callus? I can't relate but I can sympathize. 🧡

Sadly this history isn't exclusive to African culture. History is riddled with people thinking they're superior and subjugating other people. 

I love history yet it reminds me of how horrible people are, Ecc. 8:9, and it's still going on today, people ripped from their homes and sold- human trafficking. But personally I cling to a beautiful paragraph in our teaching book, Enjoy Life, chapter 27 paragraph 2 where Jehovah tells us he will UNDO all Satan's works and will restore people, animals and the planet to where it should be. We will be back with lost family, make generational connections. We will heal the past wounds in perfection.

Stick with that hope MB, meet up with you in the NS 🤗

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

32 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

I love history, learned to love it through reading the Bible. It was not my fave subject in school. My son's African ancestor, western Cote D;ivoire, is considered the first African slave on Prince Edward Island. I have a brief bio of him in writing club. He earned the respect of his new land and is considered a self made man.This song about him is featured in fairs and festivals throughout PEI. My dear husband wanted to visit there before his death. Maybe one of our sons could become interested. 

3 hours ago, *Jack* said:

I’ve heard my share of comments like this from brothers and sisters when I mention my DNA results. I’ve had some say “what does it matter” or “we all come from Noah.” Because of this, I hardly mention it now. 

But speaking for myself, being a descendant of slaves, a people who had their language taken from them, their history erased, robbed of a knowledge of self and constantly being taught in school that my history started with the trans Atlantic slave trade, I found it important to find out where I came from. Everyone needs a sense of identity. I’ve observed that those who make such comments can’t relate to my experience. 

And I know you were poking fun, but just helping you see things from another perspective.

I am friends with all sort of people and national groups. 

I have zero "racism" in my bone. 

This was purely fun comment and nothing else was "hidden" below the surface.  

Just to put my comment in perspective. 

I come from a family in Warsaw (apparently Jews) where parents of my mum got killed, my mum was given to adaption to another Jewish family (very rich, who spoke German at home) but soon communistic regime deprived them of means of living. Grandfather had to start working as an accountant from 9-5. 

Until now I do not fully understand my heritage. All I know I was born in Poland, am I Jew? Am I Polish? Something else? 

It does not matter to me at all, because soon  generational reunions (resurrection) will put everything back in place.

But I understand how you feel, and I understand your need of identity. 

Again, please dear friend don't take this a wrong way. But for me the most important identity transcends any DNA origins. I am happy to have identity as Jehovah's son (don't confuse with spirit anointed) 

Being Jehovah's servant is the best identity anybody could have. :givehug:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

4 hours ago, kejedo said:

Senario 1. For the first 20 years of my life, I thought my Dad (Mother's husband and father to three other children) was my father, and according to my birth certificate, he is, at least legally. When I was 20, a man walked up to me on a street corner and said he was my Dad. Turns out, the joke was on me as he certainly (or probably) was, or so family members believed b/c my mother's husband was in jail around the time of conception. My Dad never let on. He had a second family that also considers me their sister. My maternal aunts were not sure about the dates, but say two farmers were sowing the same field. Who knows which one planted the seed?                                                My husband passed away in Sept. and had urged me to do something for me. He admitted I was good at budgeting and that I would never take advantage, financially. My son, Jeff, next to the youngest, and the one who helped me nurse his father 24/7 for the last year, says I should go for the genealogy to find out who really are my sibs, or half sibs, or other family members, and to help clear up some long held questionings.   I had met one cousin on the side of my bio-Dad in the late 70s.

Scenario 2: My sons think they are 50/50 African and Sicilian. My youngest son had a test done and those nationalities are represented, but not 50/50. My father-in-law believed his roots were part African, (and I've searched that one way back.) True that (through his mother). But he thought his original father was deported back to Sicily and that Dad(in-law)"S original name was different before his being adopted. I had looked into some of this while my father-in-law was still alive and promised to keep searching. My recently departed husband thought it was hard to verify old records. He was glad I searched his African maternal ancestry, b/c he thought it would be good for our sons to know, but my Father-in-law's family history is mere legend. I am interested in finding names of genetic relatives for our extended families. Which service is best, cheapest, and gives results on a one shot deal? I understand there are on going monthly plans, and I haven't ruled that out, but would like to have more info on the first go-round. OT (you know me). One of my husband's brother's wife has lots of info, she says, but is not willing to share it or to direct to a tree in progress if any there be. 

I have been specifically interested in my husband's line because his grandmother (passed away before I married) was one of our Spiritual Sisters. When I learned about her I decided, "If no family is there for her in the new system, I want to be there for her." Naturally that broadened my interest in meeting new ones in our promised future.  Hope to see you there, YS,pauline 

Hey my sister 😊I haven’t chat with you in a while on here. I’m so sorry to hear about your situation 🙁 unfortunately, I don’t have much info about other DNA test companies. What I can tell you is that you want to stay away from companies that only trace mitochondrial DNA, DNA that’s passed from the mother, especially in your case. Ancestry.com is pretty comprehensive and shows you profiles of people you’re related to. You can even message them to get more info. Hope this helps!

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

Jack, the horrific history of the slave trade makes me ashamed. How can people be so callus? I can't relate but I can sympathize. 🧡

Sadly this history isn't exclusive to African culture. History is riddled with people thinking they're superior and subjugating other people. 

I love history yet it reminds me of how horrible people are, Ecc. 8:9, and it's still going on today, people ripped from their homes and sold- human trafficking. But personally I cling to a beautiful paragraph in our teaching book, Enjoy Life, chapter 27 paragraph 2 where Jehovah tells us he will UNDO all Satan's works and will restore people, animals and the planet to where it should be. We will be back with lost family, make generational connections. We will heal the past wounds in perfection.

Stick with that hope MB, meet up with you in the NS 🤗

Of course, I look forward to the New World. I don’t harp on things like this. I know the new system will change things for the better. But that still doesn’t change the fact that I and millions of other blacks are still facing the effects of slavery to this day, things that I won’t get into in this thread. I know that other people have been enslaved by others… but not to the point of West Africans. We were sold to Europe, the Americas, Brazil, the Caribbean and other places. The trans Atlantic slave trade seems to have had the largest ripple effect of all slave trades. But I really don’t want to spend so much time talking about something like slavery. I’m just saying that when you don’t know where you come from, you have an intense desire to find out. 

1 hour ago, New World Explorer said:

I am friends with all sort of people and national groups. 

I have zero "racism" in my bone. 

This was purely fun comment and nothing else was "hidden" below the surface.  

Just to put my comment in perspective. 

I come from a family in Warsaw (apparently Jews) where parents of my mum got killed, my mum was given to adaption to another Jewish family (very rich, who spoke German at home) but soon communistic regime deprived them of means of living. Grandfather had to start working as an accountant from 9-5. 

Until now I do not fully understand my heritage. All I know I was born in Poland, am I Jew? Am I Polish? Something else? 

It does not matter to me at all, because soon  generational reunions (resurrection) will put everything back in place.

But I understand how you feel, and I understand your need of identity. 

Again, please dear friend don't take this a wrong way. But for me the most important identity transcends any DNA origins. I am happy to have identity as Jehovah's son (don't confuse with spirit anointed) 

Being Jehovah's servant is the best identity anybody could have. :givehug:

I know you didn’t mean anything by your comment. But to be honest, I just kind of got tired of hearing comments like that. I don’t go around talking about my DNA to friends. That’s just weird. But the occasions when discussing culture and background with friends and I mentioned how me and some family members traced our DNA, I’ve heard comments like “I’m 100% Jehovah’s Witness” or “we all come from Adam”, “it doesn’t matter”, etc. It’s just a dismissive comment and can come off as rude. Some also insinuate that you care more about fleshly ties than spiritual ties. That’s not the case. There’s plenty of white Witnesses and some from other ethnic groups that I know personally that I’m closer to than any of my blood related black family members. Some don’t care to know their DNA makeup. That’s ok, that’s their choice. But for those who do, that’s our choice too, and we’re not less spiritual or overly proud of race for doing so 😊

Edited by *Jack*

On 10/28/2019 at 3:28 PM, Hanah45 said:

Thanks to BooBoo, I purchased at a good price.  My results are in.  According to family oral history, there should be more Germanic and French.  I think it’s a fascinating subject.  

image.thumb.png.7a7e3810f1839c889ce86febac806292.png

Cool 😊 I missed some comments in this thread a while back and am just now reading them. It’s amazing what you can find out with technology 😁

On 5/11/2021 at 2:51 PM, *Jack* said:

I saw this update on my DNA some time ago. It now says I’m 44% Nigerian. If true it will explain why I’ve always felt a connection to Nigerians all my life. Before I took the test I was expecting to have large amounts of Nigerian DNA and was disappointed when I didn’t see it in my results. For the most part my ethnicity has stayed the same, with my African DNA increasing by only 1% and my European DNA staying at 7%.

70FB87B6-2E19-4664-A1CC-A3CAFEC92811.png

My DNA summary has changed so much that at this point I give up trying to keep track. I just consider myself African. But 92% African and 8% European.

82012FE5-5E25-45E5-A053-49DBC78A4FA9.png

Ethnicity estimate

Your DNA looks most like DNA from these 7 world regions

We compare your DNA against a worldwide reference panel to see which populations your DNA looks most like.

How do we calculate this?

My DNA was done about a decade ago.  Since that time I have several DNA matches that have turned out to be actual relatives I was unaware of.

16 hours ago, *Jack* said:

The Native Americans in this country go through the same thing. Won’t it be wonderful to see how Jehovah fixes it?

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

3 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

The Native Americans in this country go through the same thing. Won’t it be wonderful to see how Jehovah fixes it?

What the Native Americans went through was horrible, to have a whole country snatched from you and be killed in the process. However, the plight of Native Americans and African Americans/descendants of West Africans aren’t the same. Native Americans were given reparations in various forms, we weren’t and I’m sure never will. I’m not trying to belittle with Native Americans or any other group has gone through, but nobody has suffered the way we have. Period.

21 minutes ago, *Jack* said:

What the Native Americans went through was horrible, to have a whole country snatched from you and be killed in the process. However, the plight of Native Americans and African Americans/descendants of West Africans aren’t the same. Native Americans were given reparations in various forms, we weren’t and I’m sure never will. I’m not trying to belittle with Native Americans or any other group has gone through, but nobody has suffered the way we have. Period.

Jack, since the rebellion in the garden atrocities got only worse and on larger scale.

And no doubt many cultures and national groups suffered big deal, including Native Americans, Africans etc.

One of the biggest and horrible one was extermination of Jews in Poland.  (and non-Jews, including JW's) 

The Holocaust, also known as the Shoah, was the genocide of European Jews during World War II. Between 1941 and 1945, Nazi Germany and its collaborators systematically murdered some six million Jews across German-occupied Europe; around two-thirds of Europe's Jewish population.

From our publications:

In his introduction to the book Commandant of Auschwitz, Lord Russell of Liverpool said: “During the war probably not less than twelve million men, women, and children from the invaded and occupied territories were done to death by the Germans. At a conservative estimate, eight million of them perished in concentration camps. Of these, not less than five million were Jews. . . . The real number, however, will never be known.” On the basis of these figures alone, at least seven million victims were not Jews.
Another testimony is that of Catherine Leach, who writes: “Poland was the first country to be subjected to Hitler’s ‘negative demographic policy,’ whose purpose was to prepare the vast territories in ‘The East’ for German resettlement, and Poland suffered the greatest losses in life of all the occupied countries—220 per 1000 inhabitants. Polish sources state that no less than 6,028,000 Polish citizens . . . lost their lives.” Of these, 3,200,000 were Jews. That means that nearly 50% of the Polish dead were non-Jews. g89 4/8 Holocaust

A Museum Dedicated to Mass Murder and Survival
The name Holocaust comes from a Greek word used in the Bible that means a complete burnt offering. (Hebrews 10:6) However, in relation to this museum, “the Holocaust was the state-sponsored, systematic persecution and annihilation of European Jewry by Nazi Germany and its collaborators between 1933 and 1945.” Jews were the primary victims, but the State policy also sought to eliminate Roma and Sinti (two gypsy tribes), the disabled, Poles, Soviet prisoners of war, homosexuals, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and political dissidents. g05 3/8

15 hours ago, *Jack* said:

I have quite a bit of info on my sons' previously mentioned ancestor, Dembo Sickles  (Dembo Sickles was born 14 May 1762 in Abidjan, Abidjan Department, Ivory Coast and died 15 October 1845 Three Rivers, Prince Edward Island, Canada of unspecified causes.) I know a few things about Dembo's African Family of origin, but will still search in case his oral history has been recorded.  I spoke on the phone last night to one of my husband's nieces and got to witness to her.  Many of my husband's relatives have rejected any of my info and said, "Pauline is too white to be researching our family." When my husband was alive, he said he wanted our sons to know "their people" and he did not like to do the research, personally, so he had me doing it. All my husband's nieces and nephews are glad to ask, "Auntie Pauline," but many of his own generation  and those of my age have nixed it.I was married into this family for 42 and a half years and still had to stand firm against bigotry. Of course, I know how pale and light haired I am. I married up for complexion and hair.  Oh well. All our sons can stay out in the sun and sport any 'do they choose. No photo description available.(Husband myself and son number six at KH

16 hours ago, Pabo said:

If I took a DNA test. The results will probably come back as:

100% Not of this world.

Dear Brother Jason, please take the test. If it comes out 100 % not of this world, I will pick up the tab. Promise. You know I love numbers, probability, (and our spiritual family.)  YS

Um, I totally agree. They should try to make it up to you as much as possible. It will help, but only Jehovah can really fix it.

(My ancestry results, yes, I have relation in Africa. And, I love it. I had no idea, and when I told a brother, (an elder who sat at the back of the hall, for ages. And I tend to sit in the back row) 

Anyway, when I told him, said he wasn’t the least bit surprised. Um, my unconscious reaction to music. I find it very hard to stand still. Literally.l

I'm a member of the Yurok tribe, and live on the Yurok reservation. 

And, yes there are advantages for me to live  on the reservation. 
So, I do think they do owe our folks whose ancestors may have been jerked from their homeland. A tidy sum of money. It won’t make up for the ugliness of it all, but it will help.
It’s insane. To be blunt, the ones in charge, of whatever nation,(for the most part) are treated horribly, generally by Caucasian’s. 
Satan. Anything to divide.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

1 hour ago, New World Explorer said:

And no doubt many cultures and national groups suffered big deal, including Native Americans, Africans etc.

So true. Every race has a dark history of violence and injustice in one form or another. Its nice that we can put that history behind us and have spiritual brothers and sisters from every race around the world. Our focus is on the future, not the past.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have done over 40 trees for all sorts of friends, relatives, work mates over the last 10 years. Trees that went back to Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Germany, France, Netherland, Ukraine, Austria, Hungary, Italy, UK,France, etc.

I got a note last week from a girl who did her DNA and was trying to contact her 1/2 brothers and sisters. I did a tree for her relative, a friend of mine that I knew as a kid. In the 60's his  mom moved into our congregation with 5 young kids and pregnant with number 6. Her husband ran off with some gal and left his wife with 5 plus 1 kids. My parents were always over to their place helping the family out. So I phoned my friend and said another one has come out of the wood work from his fathers escapades.He said his father "never met a woman he didn't like" ... so he was excited to find another 1/2 sister. She had been put up for adoption and just started looking for her extended family.....scary but also exciting. We shall see how it all turns out.

Just as a side note I have found that not everyones family trees are very accurate...many love to be connected  to famous people in history....and they are fast and loose with the their supposed  connections.

Unless you have well documented historical records it really is a shot in the dark except for a few notable instances ..we are all related to Adam and Eve and Noah's Family...

Edited by Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.