JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My ancestry DNA results!

For worldly people, DNA can be a shock. My husband did it before me, and he got a few real surprises. We had my daughter give him an alias, so nothing else will come out of the woodwork. 

Me? Whatever. My Native American side is really documented. As I said, it’s that father of mine. He apparently wanted to hide something, and on three legal documents, came three different birthplaces. And, we found he was sheltered at Alcatraz for a bit. 

(I was told he was tied to a still in North Carolina, and shot someone. He was a child. If you can imagine.) 

So, we shall have a grand visit when he is awoken! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Im sure I have Spanish gene... My grandmother on the mother side is a half Filipino-Spanish. And my grandma on my father side looks hispanic as well with ligher skin than native Filipino. 

I won't wonder if I may have middle eastern genes too.. Thats why when people see me, when I was younger,   I look an Indian or an Italian to them.  Many already said I look Italian. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2019 at 4:27 PM, Miss Bea said:

For worldly people, DNA can be a shock. My husband did it before me, and he got a few real surprises.

No surprise for me ...grandparents were Jewish, so "roughly" without DNA test I can tell the line :whistling:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, EccentricM said:

So I've had an update of my results today, and it turns out I'm also 7% Germanic.

image.thumb.png.acd4f1d2c706f38ae5ee7ecb6d522726.png

I am surprised that you have only 7% Germanic. I would've thought many Britons would have a higher percentage of Germanic blood, considering that many Anglo-Saxon tribes migrated to the British Isles and eventually became the dominant group. So does it mean you have more Celtic and Viking blood then?  

@Bek It would seem like it! Though it depends on how they calculate it. Perhaps the "Germanic" DNA, is "modern Germanic", and that what is labelled as "English DNA" may in fact be Germanic of origin or at least would make up a decent portion of it, but that blend is classified as its own catergory today.

I do have a strong line of Celtic ancestors on both sides of the family however. My great grandmother on my mother's side was half Irish/English, who married an fully English man, the Irish line on that side I have traced so far is quite strong. Whilst my great grandfather on my father's side was fully Welsh who married a fully English woman (though that side of the family is scarce on records so I don't know the nationalities of those who came before them).

Edited by EccentricM

When I first purchased the test, the offered “traits” for $10. I declined.  I think it is a new feature that is being promoted.  But I’m new at this, perhaps someone else knows additional info.   Did you try the link I posted? 

• 2 months later...

Genetics is one of my interests, so I find this thread to be very interesting.  These "trace/low percentages" that several of you have found in your DNA results are quite telling (i.e., Melanesia, Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa.)  More than likely this may be a result of genetic admixture, a technical term meaning that most people's ancestors come from many places -- the genetic mixing of previously separate populations.)

From my own personal experience, a couple of family members on my maternal grandmother's side have done research to learn that our lineage comes from the region of W. Africa.  However,  like a few here, I've chosen to forgo these DNA tests purely for privacy reasons.

Nice thread!

• 8 months later...

Just had an update come through on my DNA.  It's more detailed now and narrows down exactly what percentage of each Celtic background I have in my genes, and further details other areas. Germany changed to Norway, and Philipino changed to India.

image.png.ddad229b0339dec83c44a02265e85d16.png

Mad how it says I have 11% Norway DNA and 10% Wales, since my great grandfather on my father's side was Welsh, but I have no near ancestors to my knowledge that are Norse. The Irish makes sense due to the fact that I have an Irish great grandmother on my mom's side. But it may be just a case of needing further refinement.

Edited by EccentricM

20 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Mad how it says I have 11% Norway DNA and 10% Wales, since my great grandfather on my father's side was Welsh, but I have no near ancestors to my knowledge that are Norse. The Irish makes sense due to the fact that I have an Irish great grandmother on my mom's side. But it may be just a case of needing further refinement.

where did Indian come from at all? lol

Is it the american indian or the India Indian? 

15 minutes ago, VisualizeUrParadise said:

where did Indian come from at all? lol

Is it the american indian or the India Indian? 

India. American Indian would be "Native American" I should imagine.

Now I do have family going back to India as I said before in this thread, but they were not Indian, they were Brits who lived in British owned India (and that line also goes back to German names in my family). 1% scores are usually just white noise, anyway.

Edited by EccentricM

22 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Mad how it says I have 11% Norway DNA and 10% Wales, since my great grandfather on my father's side was Welsh, but I have no near ancestors to my knowledge that are Norse

11% Viking DNA, you mean? 😁

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5312697/DNA-map-Britain-Ireland-reveals-Viking-genes.html

9 minutes ago, ijsvogel said:

Yeah there is that too. Though we have to remember, the tests are basing ethnicty on "modern genes". So historical Viking DNA in the British Isles is now classified as "unique English DNA", as there is no "pure DNA" as we know, as we all come from one place. So these catergorisations are based upon the "current state" of DNA ethnicity. Today's English genes would be the 'historial' combination of Celtic, Germanic, French (Normandy) and Scandinavian (Vikings), but ancestry DNA would simply label that in it's modern state as "English".

Welsh are said to be the earliest settlers of the British Isles, and they are such historically "Britannic Celtic, aka "Brittons", but they in turn have even further roots to Spain and the Mediterranean back in the antiquity era and before that (which is where the black hair and "dark Welsh"/Olive complextion comes from, in turn Mediterraneans came from the Middle East... and so on).

As for the other Celts, the Irish, they came not long after the Welsh, same with the Scotts, but I don't know of their origin backgrounds.

• 7 months later...

I saw this update on my DNA some time ago. It now says I’m 44% Nigerian. If true it will explain why I’ve always felt a connection to Nigerians all my life. Before I took the test I was expecting to have large amounts of Nigerian DNA and was disappointed when I didn’t see it in my results. For the most part my ethnicity has stayed the same, with my African DNA increasing by only 1% and my European DNA staying at 7%.

70FB87B6-2E19-4664-A1CC-A3CAFEC92811.png

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

5 minutes ago, *Jack* said:

For the most part my ethnicity has stayed the same,

Okay, someone needs to explain to me how your ethnicity would change...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Tortuga said:

Okay, someone needs to explain to me how your ethnicity would change...

Pretty much Ancestry’s results are based on samples of people around the world. The more samples they have the more accurate the results. More samples have been taken since my results were updated so the results have changed, not my DNA itself.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, *Jack* said:

Pretty much Ancestry’s results are based on samples of people around the world. The more samples they have the more accurate the results. More samples have been taken since my results were updated so the results have changed, not my DNA itself.

So if most of my German ancestors lived in Sweden, I would be Swedish instead of German?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

So if most of my German ancestors lived in Sweden, I would be Swedish instead of German?

No, because the majority of German people don’t live in Sweden so your DNA would be comparable to the people of the actual region of Germany. It would however tell you of German ancestors who settled in Sweden like how my results show I have some relatives in the US.

• 1 year later...