JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My ancestry DNA results!

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, Brother Jack said:

Unless your identical twins, the results won't be the same. One sibling may get more parts of one parents DNA than the other. 

Dr. Phil's son is married to one of three identical triplets. Their DNA came back mostly similar, but not 100 per cent identical. Previously, in a crime committed by one of a set of twins, the DNA evidence could not separate them out and some avoided convictions. Now, it has been found that after the initial separation in utero, there are minor changes influenced in the early embryonic, but separate environment. 

4 hours ago, kejedo said:

Dr. Phil's son is married to one of three identical triplets. Their DNA came back mostly similar, but not 100 per cent identical. Previously, in a crime committed by one of a set of twins, the DNA evidence could not separate them out and some avoided convictions. Now, it has been found that after the initial separation in utero, there are minor changes influenced in the early embryonic, but separate environment. 

Makes sense because if identical twins had the exact same DNA you wouldn’t be able to tell them apart...  but I think it is the same when they take tests like these. A more complicated test would probably show the differences.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, Brother Jack said:

So I bought one of those ancestry DNA kits and had my DNA tested. Unlike other tests which just test your DNA from your mother or fathers side, this test tests your DNA from both your maternal and fraternal side, so it's thorough. I was so excited to get my results! Turns out I'm 90% African, 7% European, 2% Asian and -1% Pacific Islander. Of my African DNA, I'm 47% Benin/Togo, 26% Cameroon/Congo, 11% Senegal, 3% South African central hunter gatherers, 2% North African, -1% Ivory Coast/Ghana. My European Ancestry is from 5% Iberian Peninsula,  1% Scandinavia, 1% Great Britain. My Asian ancestry is from Central Asia and my Pacific Islander ancestry is from Melanesia. Here's a pic of me. The first pic is me with my dad when I was younger. If you guys have taken DNA results before post your ancestry info :)

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_1449.PNG

Dear Brother Jack; My husband's grandmother was one of Jehovah's Witnesses (she passed away before I married into the family) and I wanted to learn more about her.I thought that if nobody was going to be there for her in the new system, I wanted to be there. Although light-skinned, she had Arfican ancestry. Her great- great grandfather (my sons are generation 7) was the first African born black slave who settled in Prince Edward Island, Canada, (by way of Rhode Island MA.) He was originally from Western Africa (My guess Benin-Togo) as his name was Dengbo, the Mandinka based name with the common 'ngbo' letter combination. I met a student from Republic of Benin who told me his name Dengbo was common in her home land.  I have 9 generations traced from him and 7 generations traced from my sons other African line. Two of our nieces have had ancestry tests done and Togo-Benin/ Nigeria showed up. This person, the first African born slave on Prince Edward Island, was unique in that he was born free (father was wealthy chief,) was captured into slavery, signed a manumission, bought his prospective wife out of slavery to marry him, and died free. It is unusual for this to happen in one life time. I have made a spread -sheet chart for my sons and their relatives to trace a straight shot to this ancestor( and their other African line up to 7 generations.). As I trace this family line, I have learned more and more about the history of the times. Dengbo Sickles was a very Bible based, spiritual man.  I have his own words quoted from his anticipated demise. It's a small world and I am always astonished that Jehovah knew these people first. Thanks for the info. I have just discovered this thread. I am also impressed with snakes and all of Jehovah's creations.       

15 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Makes sense because if identical twins had the exact same DNA you wouldn’t be able to tell them apart...  but I think it is the same when they take tests like these. A more complicated test would probably show the differences.

There are several articles on this relatively new concept of differing dna. One scientist (geneticist) believes they should be named one-egg twins, rather than Identical.-Obviously the same for identical triplets. Some genetic testing is more complex, but I believe I read that Phil McGraw's daughter in law and her two (one-egg) sisters took a general DNA type kit. 

16 hours ago, kejedo said:

Dengbo Sickles was a very Bible based, spiritual man.  I have his own words quoted from his anticipated demise. It's a small world and I am always astonished that Jehovah knew these people first.     

This means that there’s a possibility that he could have been one of the anointed :)

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

4 hours ago, kejedo said:

There are several articles on this relatively new concept of differing dna. One scientist (geneticist) believes they should be named one-egg twins, rather than Identical.-Obviously the same for identical triplets. Some genetic testing is more complex, but I believe I read that Phil McGraw's daughter in law and her two (one-egg) sisters took a general DNA type kit. 

So the original premise was to discredit the spit test, but newer info points to dna changes before, or even after birth (say some geneticists). If you are researching this concept, try for the newer articles.

p.s. so far, I have enjoyed this dna and auto-biography thread. When I retired from teaching, there were more social studies reports of indigenous persons on this continent having been from Europe (through that strait) as well as other sources.  Perhaps I will do a personal DNA test this year. Some  relatives on my husband's side have light eyes - hazel, light brown, green, blue.One of my grandmother's Sicilian brothers 'disowned' me for marrying a black man. I also got beat and spit on by my older brother. Incidentally, my great uncles were of darker complexion than my husb. I have read some serious accounts of there having been Moors in Sicily.  Wonder if that would show up or if it has shown up. Research indicates that Moors were in fact in Italy, but the conclusions are controversial.   Yes, of course, we perceive for a fact that God is not partial, but geography is fascinating. I have met but have little info on my now deceased bio Dad.  

Edited by kejedo

5 hours ago, kejedo said:

So the original premise was to discredit the spit test, but newer info points to dna changes before, or even after birth (say some geneticists). If you are researching this concept, try for the newer articles.

p.s. so far, I have enjoyed this dna and auto-biography thread. When I retired from teaching, there were more social studies reports of indigenous persons on this continent having been from Europe (through that strait) as well as other sources.  Perhaps I will do a personal DNA test this year. Some  relatives on my husband's side have light eyes - hazel, light brown, green, blue.One of my grandmother's Sicilian brothers 'disowned' me for marrying a black man. I also got beat and spit on by my older brother. Incidentally, my great uncles were of darker complexion than my husb. I have read some serious accounts of there having been Moors in Sicily.  Wonder if that would show up or if it has shown up. Research indicates that Moors were in fact in Italy, but the conclusions are controversial.   Yes, of course, we perceive for a fact that God is not partial, but geography is fascinating. I have met but have little info on my now deceased bio Dad.  

I heard about Moors being in Italy too and that that is why italians have dark hair.

• 1 month later...

I am cheap and look for deals, bought a new sealed box Ancestry DNA for like $20 on ebay and received it and followed the instructions and I am sicilian, irish & finnish.  I have had distant cousins help me build my family tree.  interesting to see the areas my family migrated from

• 3 months later...

My DNA results are in!  No surprises, other than I was expecting to see some Asian Heritage, of which there was none. I'm from exactly where I always thought I was from 😝

The main results were totally in line with family lore.  I knew my Dads family were from Jalisco, Mexico and my Moms family from San Luis Postosi, Mexico.   Both sets of Grandparents were born in the late1800's. All had migrated to the US by 1910. So the earlier family ancestry is relatively unknown.  

My maternal great grandfather (maternal grandmothers father) was Spanish, French and Italian.  So all in all everything looks like a match.

So here it is

(My apologies if the picture posts as overly large.)

5B6ABAB7-D25A-49AA-8419-F972BF6AAE11.thumb.jpeg.f27473a723d20299bff59883b5135dad.jpeg

• 2 months later...

My cousin has always been curious about my background (I’m adopted) so yesterday she bought me the ancestry.com package so I can find out what my background is.

For those that have done this are you concerned that some third party now has your DNA on file?

From what I read on the package all the company would have if I registered and submitted would be my name, email address and birthday.

I guess if someone wanted my DNA they could simply dig in our garbage.

But still, is this something that I should be concerned about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it you might find something interesting. My daughter did (Heredity.com) and found out my mother lived within a few blocks of my other daughter. Unfortunatly it was too late for me to meet her, her  having died 2 years earlier. I wasn't very emotional about it, she didn't put me up for adoption, she abandon me in the hospital.

If you join Heredity you can like trace your ancestors way back which is kind of fun. My wife and I both descended from th Mayflower's Stephen Hopkins. I already knew that I was, but was interesting to find out we were were cousins hundreds of tmes removed.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:34 PM, booboo said:

My DNA results are in!  No surprises, other than I was expecting to see some Asian Heritage, of which there was none. I'm from exactly where I always thought I was from 😝

The main results were totally in line with family lore.  I knew my Dads family were from Jalisco, Mexico and my Moms family from San Luis Postosi, Mexico.   Both sets of Grandparents were born in the late1800's. All had migrated to the US by 1910. So the earlier family ancestry is relatively unknown.  

My maternal great grandfather (maternal grandmothers father) was Spanish, French and Italian.  So all in all everything looks like a match.

So here it is

5B6ABAB7-D25A-49AA-8419-F972BF6AAE11.thumb.jpeg.f27473a723d20299bff59883b5135dad.jpeg

Middle East is in Asia. It is in West Asia to be precise. 

2 hours ago, Hun said:

Middle East is in Asia. It is in West Asia to be precise. 

Yes absolutely. In this area of the States, where I live, Asian means Oriental people, those from the Far East Asia, such as Japan, China, Philippines, etc.  That is the Asian I was referring to.  

The picture shows the area my Middle East Dna is from

CAA3CAE1-CDB6-4733-9444-F987CF6FAA60.jpeg

4 hours ago, Cheeks said:

For those that have done this are you concerned that some third party now has your DNA on file?

I willingly gave permission for them to give other parties my DNA, how could they possibly hurt me with it after all? Make a clone of me who will come and take over my life? 😄 I all for my DNA being used for medical research and similar purposes.

However you can opt out and ask for it to be kept private.

Edited by EccentricM

5 hours ago, Cheeks said:

My cousin has always been curious about my background (I’m adopted) so yesterday she bought me the ancestry.com package so I can find out what my background is.

From what I read on the package all the company would have if I registered and submitted would be my name, email address and birthday.

I guess if someone wanted my DNA they could simply dig in our garbage.

But still, is this something that I should be concerned about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think that those who have committed murder and rape would have something to worry about since authorities have used DNA companies to solve such crimes. You have nothing to worry about.

49 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I would think that those who have committed murder and rape would have something to worry about since authorities have used DNA companies to solve such crimes. You have nothing to worry about.

Unless you have relatives that are guilty of murder and rape. A man is currently in jail in California and he was tracked down by his relatives DNA. 

https://amp.businessinsider.com/golden-state-killer-caught-because-relatives-dna-online-2018-4

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 6/20/2019 at 11:34 AM, booboo said:

So here it is

Wow, your results is very detailed.  My results from ancestry are very vague.  I would have loved a breakdown of my results, like yours.  My mother was adopted and my father knew very little about his family so we know virtually nothing about our ethnicities.  So in this too I will have to wait on Jehovah.  

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

Plus

Maybe 10,000 years later, I'll be very noticeable, not only by my big crowd identity

but because of my very Asian looks, because by then most people will have been so mixed none will look so distinctively Asian.

Maybe people will see that I'm one of the big crowd because of my looks?