Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Covington: A Great American Lawyer


We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1879 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Recommended Posts

I came across this while searching for "O'er the Ramparts They Watched"  by Victor Blake, an attorney that defended many of our Brothers in their legal battles.

See an excerpt from Great American Lawyers: An Encyclopedia, Volume 1 

https://books.google.com/books?id=XR1NPiqp5aQC&pg=PA134&lpg=PA134&dq=lawyer+victor+blackwell&source=bl&ots=jvMjwkrCl2&sig=kn86bncZLq0BloctaG1Bk8vF9gU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilsJnVkeHSAhUC44MKHUZXAesQ6AEIMDAE#v=onepage&q=lawyer victor blackwell&f=false

It features Hayden C. Covington as one of the great Amarican Lawyers.  An interesting read, mostly about our history in the U.S.  court system. Has a good picture of Covington with Muhammed Ali. :confused:

I found Victor Blake's book on Amazon but the $85 price tag held me back. Anyone here on the forum read Blake's book?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't too clear in my post, the book Greg found on Amazon for $10 is the source of the Covinton material. The book by Victo Blackwell is the one I was asking if anyone had read it.

At $85 I will have to wait for a price break.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I paid about 35.00 for it many years ago..and then I heard that he was dfs'd  after writing it. :( But it has a lot of good argumentation on the trinity, Jehovah's Name, Bible principles....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, morningdove said:

I think I paid about 35.00 for it many years ago..and then I heard that he was dfs'd  after writing it. :( But it has a lot of good argumentation on the trinity, Jehovah's Name, Bible principles....

Who did you hear was df'd?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Who did you hear was df'd?

 

I seem to remember something about the attorney being df.  Unknown at the time he had a brain tumor and alcohol eased the pain. Was reinstated before his death.  I may have  some of the facts incorrect but that's how I remember it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, rocket said:

 

I seem to remember something about the attorney being df.  Unknown at the time he had a brain tumor and alcohol eased the pain. Was reinstated before his death.  I may have  some of the facts incorrect but that's how I remember it.

I believe the brain tumor report was based on Br. Covington's death and autopsy (not Blackwell).  Covington was an amazing lawyer for our organization but in later years had some mental difficulties.  He left Bethel but I had not heard that he was disfellowshipped.  Interesting side note: he was the only non-anointed  director of the Watchtower Society (old governing Body).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Old said:

I wasn't too clear in my post, the book Greg found on Amazon for $10 is the source of the Covinton material. The book by Victo Blackwell is the one I was asking if anyone had read it.

At $85 I will have to wait for a price break.

I met Victor V. Blackwell in the early 70s in Nebraska. He gave a special talk and there was a gathering at the friends house I was staying at, so I got to talk to brother Blackwell that evening...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, morningdove said:

I think I paid about 35.00 for it many years ago..and then I heard that he was dfs'd  after writing it. :( But it has a lot of good argumentation on the trinity, Jehovah's Name, Bible principles....

To my knowledge Blackwell was not disfellowshipped, Covington was. They had worked with his drinking problem for a long time, it continued and there was no other option. He was reinstated and many good things were said about his faithful service.

Eariler  he had stepped down from his position on the corporation (the Society) because he did not think that one of the sheep class should be in that position.

 

When I  was fighting the draft issue he sent me a letter with his written signature.

This was the envy of my fellow pioneers because their letters were stamped with his signature.

Those were the days ...

Edited by Old
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My apologies..I just found the book and it was neither of these brothers that I was referring to. 

The book I have is called, "Jehovah's Witnesses Defended, An Answer To Scholars And Critics" written by Greg Stafford who I believe did leave the Truth.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to revisit my post if I may..I keep thinking about it and I would like to apologize again for any errors  on my part regarding the faulty assumption I made between the two books.

I relied on my failing memory when I mentioned owning the book asked about by brother Old, when it was an entirely other book written by a different author . 

 

I did own the book that brother Old asked about, 'O'er the Ramparts We Watched' but loaned it out years ago ; then mistakenly connected the brother's question with a  book  I still have that I purchased from Stoops Mfg. company.

I assumed because they (are) a reputable company, that the book and it's author were also in good standing and they were at the time. They do not have it on their site anymore.

 

From what I have read  I've not seen anything  unfavorable to our beliefs or the teachings of the Bible.

I've tried since to research the current standing of this author  and  it seems he has indeed left God's Organization since he wrote the book. So should this book go the way of the old Aid book?

 

Foremost I want to say again  that I am sorry for my mistake between the books and also why I own this book. There was no connection with Brother Covington or Brother Blackwell, two very loyal and faithful servants of Jehovah.

I am very sorry for any problems this may have caused.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, morningdove said:

I would like to revisit my post if I may..I keep thinking about it and I would like to apologize again for any errors  on my part regarding the faulty assumption I made between the two books.

I relied on my failing memory when I mentioned owning the book asked about by brother Old, when it was an entirely other book written by a different author . 

 

I did own the book that brother Old asked about, 'O'er the Ramparts We Watched' but loaned it out years ago ; then mistakenly connected the brother's question with a  book  I still have that I purchased from Stoops Mfg. company.

I assumed because they (are) a reputable company, that the book and it's author were also in good standing and they were at the time. They do not have it on their site anymore.

 

From what I have read  I've not seen anything  unfavorable to our beliefs or the teachings of the Bible.

I've tried since to research the current standing of this author  and  it seems he has indeed left God's Organization since he wrote the book. So should this book go the way of the old Aid book?

 

Foremost I want to say again  that I am sorry for my mistake between the books and also why I own this book. There was no connection with Brother Covington or Brother Blackwell, two very loyal and faithful servants of Jehovah.

I am very sorry for any problems any problems this may have caused.

No problems that I can see, a little confusian maybe, but hey welcome to the club! When it comes to events past our memories are very selective and often off base. 

It is very hard to find older books not published by the WTBTS. I have been trying to find a copy of Jim Kennedy's book and I can locat a copy here and there but $80 is a little steep for me.

Edited by Old
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brother Old, If you mean the book written by Jimmy and Marilyn Kennedy called 'Something to Laugh About", it's on Stoops right now for 10.00. It's being cleared out and I don't know how many copies are available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, morningdove said:

Brother Old, If you mean the book written by Jimmy and Marilyn Kennedy called 'Something to Laugh About", it's on Stoops right now for 10.00. It's being cleared out and I don't know how many copies are available.

I can't find it on Snoops, must be sold out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2017 at 0:44 AM, Old said:

 

To my knowledge Blackwell was not disfellowshipped, Covington was. They had worked with his drinking problem for a long time, it continued and there was no other option. He was reinstated and many good things were said about his faithful service.

Eariler  he had stepped down from his position on the corporation (the Society) because he did not think that one of the sheep class should be in that position.

 

When I  was fighting the draft issue he sent me a letter with his written signature.

This was the envy of my fellow pioneers because their letters were stamped with his signature.

Those were the days ...

 

 I think he was pioneering before he died.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, morningdove said:

I just checked again and it's still there....are you going to stoopsmanufacturing.com?

Yes, but failed to see a search engine. I find the page lacks intuitiveness.

I see Terri has posted the page address.

Thanks All.

Edited by Old
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Old said:

Yes, but failed to see a search engine. I find the page lacks intuitiveness.

 

If you go to Store at the right top of the page, in the drop down box  select Product Search and  type in Jim or Jimmy Kennedy. It comes right up....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Old said:

Yes, but failed to see a search engine. I find the page lacks intuitiveness.

I see Terri has posted the page address.

Thanks All.

 

Yes, Terri's link takes you right to it..thank you Terri.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just an anecdote about brother Kennedy. Many years ago his wife was admitted to a hospital in our area, and my daughter and husband invited him to their home for a meal and company. My son was also there. His wife had just recently left him and their 2 year old son, so he understandably was depressed;  bi-polar.

When brother Kennedy learned of the situation, he sat down with my son and read him scriptures where Jehovah was speaking. (I so wish I could remember which ones). But in each line where a certain word occurred, like you or your or similar, he inserted my son's name , to make it so that Jehovah was speaking directly to my son.

It was very touching.

He was witty and funny, but also had much compassion and heart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 22.1.2 (changelog)