JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

VPN's, online security and privacy

This post is a bit long but I think it's an important read, if you use the internet.

Sometime last year I learned that our location and online activities are being tracked by our internet service providers. When I did I believed it didn't involved me, since I don't visit any unsavory sites. I was enlightened later however when I learned these sites keep our data to be given to government agencies, and can even be sold to whoever's interested. When I saw what happened on the 20th of this month to our Russian brothers, it impelled me to share this with you today. Our religious freedom may one day be at stake, even if we think we live in a “free” country. The government can locate witnesses by their IP address, and block sites like jw.org (or even this site) from being accessed.

They not only see what websites you visit, but how long you stay on a website, what you download and what you type in your search engine. To quote, here is an example an internet user mentioned:

It’s scary but maybe in the future you can’t get a job because the recruiter knows you searched on ‘how to deal with depression’ or anythings else that’s supposed to be private... Or you get a $100k fine because you pirated a movie or downloaded free music 15 years ago. ...You could be arrested for “liking” the wrong facebook page.”

Obviously, as witnesses we have bigger issues to worry us, but even these points are still valid. If you aren't using one already, I highly recommend installing a Virtual Private Network, or VPN. A VPN protects your data & internet activities from being veiwed or sold. It also protects you when you are using someone else’s Wi-Fi (maybe during a field service break at a coffee shop) from stealing your information. It sets your location as a completely separate country. If you already have a VPN, make sure it's location is not based in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States. These claim to be VPNs, but even they are under law to share information with the government. I use a site based in Seychelles, where they are under no law to share it.

I'll recommend the sites recommended to me if the Administrators will allow it, I just thought that I should share. I haven't been on here long, but I can't imagine not having access to sites like this. Especially to the WOL and jw.org itself. Ultimately Jehovah will make a way for us to be fed spiritually, but doing this may help us to stay in contact.

Edited by Shawnster

Wow! Awesome point! Just by coincidence in my talk Sunday I mentioned that everyone wants your data, run data analytics on you, run business intelligence on you to determine what, where, why, when, who about you.. These companies run this to profit on us however the data analytics Jehovah runs on us is to ensure we are the same person with same personality when resurrected!

Once again I appreciate the heads up! But "they" know everything about us already!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hi Sister Skyler,

We are very glad you joined us here, you are already making very good contributions and I definitely appreciate your good spirituality! :)

And I like this topic about VPNs and protecting ourselves on the internet, especially since I understand that there is a law that is about to be passed here in the U.S. or has just been passed allowing providers to sell our data, major companies like Verizon could be selling our data if this bill passes.

But I think many do not use VPNs because of a variety of factors, such as not knowing which are good quality VPNs or the slowness that comes with many VPNs or even the cost is a worry. If you have expertise or experience with VPNs, I think many here would appreciate any further advice or recommendations, I know I would. So thank you. :) 

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I use a site called trust.zone, they have a sale going on for 1 years service for about $40. They give you step-by-step instructions on how to set up once you've purchased it. :)

Thank you Brother Neil, I appreciate that. :lol:

Edited by lovejoypeace

I got a free app from Google Play called NoRoot Firewall.  

Author:  Grey Shirts

Version: 3.0.1  (build 41)

It allows you to create a VPN and control what communication the rest of your apps can have with their motherships.

I love love love it, because I can force all my apps to only work when I have wi-fi.  I can allow some apps to always have internet access.  Some to never have internet access.

It truly is the next best thing to rooting your phone or tablet.  

Rooting gives you the most control, because you can get rid of all the unwanted bloatware

that comes with your device--and uses up all your internal memory.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I just looked at  "trust.zone" and it is on sale for $3.33 a month or only $39 a year. Pretty good price.

But why did you choose them? Did you research before choosing or did someone recommend this?

Thanks for your help. :)

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

16 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I just looked at  "trust.zone" and it is on sale for $3.33 a month or only $39 a year. Pretty good price.

But why did you choose them? Did you research before choosing or did someone recommend this?

Thanks for your help. :)

It was recommended to me with another site called  ovpn.se which is located in Sweden. Whichever site you choose, make sure it's not in the countries mentioned in the first post. The reason might sound horrible, but apparently trust.zone is used by people doing unsavory things online, because it doesn't log anything and can't be traced, whereas ovpn keeps logs of your activity, but simply doesn't share them. Above countries will share or sell this info to the highest bidder. I wanted all my bases covered, no one will take away my tv.jw.org! :lol:

Edited by lovejoypeace

Just be mindful that a lot of VPN companies are still under obligation to share your data unless they are set up beyond USA or Australia for that matter.

If they are set up in USA they come under US laws..and your data will be accessible if requested from them.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Wonderful info Skyler, thanks for starting this discussion. I'm wondering tho if I've left my run a bit too late, as my history is already out there so any future govt who wants to ban us will already know what I'm up too and where I regularly go.

I think it is a great idea tho, and reading the beginners guide Greg posted was very helpful too.

Also I wonder if this is really going to be a problem for us. We are after all using jw.org. The govt has that info right now. The brothers would have a plan to circumvent this if we were in danger, surely.  Or is it that we will be the last to be picked  up during GT when they use this info to find us, thereby bringing on Armageddon perhaps?

"This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah says: ‘In that day thoughts will come into your heart, and you will devise an evil plan.  You will say: “I will invade the land of unprotected settlements. I will come against those living in security, without disturbance, all of them living in settlements unprotected by walls, bars, or gates.”  It will be to take much spoil and plunder, to attack the devastated places that are now inhabited and a people regathered from the nations, who are accumulating wealth and property, those who are living in the center of the earth. "- Ez 38:10-12

14 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Just be mindful that a lot of VPN companies are still under obligation to share your data unless they are set up beyond USA or Australia for that matter.

If they are set up in USA they come under US laws..and your data will be accessible if requested from them.

What do you think is it possible that FDS will arrange a free  VPN provider for us in the future?

Total speculation :D