JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Star Trek: Discovery

Personally I'm not going to pay to watch it. The first episode packed too much attitude for me. I like the idea of a space exploration show but I'm not interested in watching a space war...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

This is the first Star Trek series I did not even try to watch.

Since only the debut is to be shown on network TV and the series will be on the CBS streaming service (one that cost money) and I won't be watching that service .... I gave this one a pass.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

It's going to be on Netflix here which I am already subscriber to.. so no extra cost.

It will feature a same-sex couple played by two cast members of Broadway’s “Rent.” 

satan can promote same sex stuff with somebody else..

Pass.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

It's too much- violence, drama, hatred, anorexic women, etc. I wanted to like it but since it's like this and since it's only on CBS Access in the US and Canada forget it. There's plenty of entertainment out there with no strings attached.

(ya but it's Star Trek!)

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

It's too much- violence, drama, hatred, anorexic women, etc. I wanted to like it but since it's like this and since it's only on CBS Access in the US and Canada forget it. There's plenty of entertainment out there with no strings attached.

(ya but it's Star Trek!)

It's also on CBS on regular TV. It's just that more episodes are on CBS all access.

I watched it and that it could be good.

It is set 10 years before the Original. This is the part that will make it tough. I know the ending. There will be a peace treaty on Organia, but I like the premise. 

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Treaty_of_Organia

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

3 minutes ago, trottigy said:

I watched it and that it could be good.

It is set 10 years before the Original. This is the part that will make it tough. I know the ending. There will be a peace treaty on Organia, but I like the premise. 

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Treaty_of_Organia

Ship technology took a giant step backwards in 10 year. They had stuff on that ship that Kirk never dreamed of having...:lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

18 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

It's going to be on Netflix here which I am already subscriber to.. so no extra cost.

Yes, it is available on Netfilx in some countries - but, NOT in the US or Canada :(

5 hours ago, mserskine said:

It's also on CBS on regular TV. It's just that more episodes are on CBS all access.

Only the pilot was to be aired on CBS - TV .... the series is only available on CBS - All Access (Internet streaming paid service) in the US and Canada.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

15 minutes ago, trottigy said:

That is often another problem with a pre Trek show. 

It amazing how much the Klingons changed in 10 years too. :lol:

Currently I'm passing on this because I'm not paying CBS money to see a same-sex male romance portrayed as acceptable.

If it comes to Netflix USA and a few of you who are watching it can still recommend it, then I might reconsider.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On 9/25/2017 at 8:25 PM, Qapla said:

Yeah, Worf explained about that .... it is a time we don't like to talk about

Which was stupid.  Manny Coto should have been overruled.  It would have been better to dress Michael Dorn in 1960s style makeup for DS9's Trials and Tribbilations.  The whole not recognizing Klingons and the "we don't talk about it" gag led to the 3 part Augments arc to explain away "in universe" why Klingons had smooth heads in TOS.  Utter stupidity.

Just go with the idea that Klingons always looked like they did in TMP.  That was the original intent when that movie was made.

I really like the new Klingon look.  I didn't think I would, at first, but I do.

Making Michael's mentor Sarek served no purpose in the story except to connect this Vulcan to TOS.  I also find this version of Sarek out of character to what we saw in the rest of the franchise.  Another dumb, pointless move.  The casual viewer is not going to recognize Sarek as Spock's father.  

Setting this 10 years before TOS also was pointless and irrelevant.  This could just as easily been set 100 or so years after the end of Voyager.  Making this a prequel also serves no purpose in the story except to connect it to TOS.  The casual viewer is not going to care if it's set 10 years before TOS.  If Kirk, Spock and McCoy aren't in every episode, the casual viewer will not notice or care when this show takes place.

Despite what the creators say, I'm viewing this as a reboot or alternate universe.  It's the only way to make sense of the radical differences between this show and all of Star Trek that is supposedly set in the future after this show takes place.

Yes, the prominent gay character is going to cause some uncomfortable consciences.  We can't get away from it any longer.  It will soon be that every TV show will feature a lead gay character.  Even reality tv shows like TLC's Trading Spaces (home makeover show) or Food Network's The Great Food Truck Race  feature obviously flaming homosexual guests and contestants.  It's like shows are going out of their way to present homosexuality as normal and acceptable.  

12 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Yes, the prominent gay character is going to cause some uncomfortable consciences.  We can't get away from it any longer.  It will soon be that every TV show will feature a lead gay character.  Even reality tv shows like TLC's Trading Spaces (home makeover show) or Food Network's The Great Food Truck Race  feature obviously flaming homosexual guests and contestants.  It's like shows are going out of their way to present homosexuality as normal and acceptable.  

This is big for me. I got so weary of finding a new series, loving the story plot, getting invested in it and looking forward to the next episode. Only to have the new episode show a 'coming out' or 'oh ya, sorry you didn't know I was gay' and it not just being something that they were but the show then takes a turn that it now is completely involved with them and their gay lifestyle. Pretty much why I haven't watched anything but ROKU since April. Life is complicated enough, don't need to fight that off too.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, Sylv said:

Yes, homosexuality is promoted in so many shows now, you can't seem to get away from it. However, how many shows have unmarried non-same sex partners? (Not condoning, just observing.)

Agreed, and we've had that conversation many many times. Everyone needs to draw their own line on what they find acceptable. This show crosses my line...

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Agreed, and we've had that conversation many many times. Everyone needs to draw their own line on what they find acceptable. This show crosses my line...

It crosses my line as well so you're not alone.

I've made "covenant" with my eyes as not to watch "homosexual etc" shows and if there is nothing to watch I'll choose to read. 

It takes REAL effort and I need to push myself in this regard, imperfection is a troublesome state.

(I do not look down upon those who choose to watch such shows respecting their consciences) 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

4 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

This is big for me. I got so weary of finding a new series, loving the story plot, getting invested in it and looking forward to the next episode. Only to have the new episode show a 'coming out' or 'oh ya, sorry you didn't know I was gay' and it not just being something that they were but the show then takes a turn that it now is completely involved with them and their gay lifestyle. Pretty much why I haven't watched anything but ROKU since April. Life is complicated enough, don't need to fight that off too.

What she said. ^_^

I always draw back on a talk I once heard where the brother said, "If we wouldn't invite these people into our homes for association,

why would we want to invite them into our living rooms and associate with them via the TV?  Or go associate with them in movie theaters?"

That counsel really hit home. :unsure:  Literally!

I constantly remind myself that Jesus and his Heavenly Father watch what I'm allowing myself to watch, and I try to make choices

that will be pleasing to them, and not just to me.:D

Jehovah has exquisite taste, so it ain't really ALL that hard to abhor what he abhors.59ceaabdcb536_Nogrinning.gif.72a8a3d604b4216693980c626891b8d9.gif  

Especially if we approach him in prayer and ask for his help to do so. 

I know he sure has been helping me.  

I can't even stand to watch the promo commercials for some TV shows...erm, make that most TV shows.59ceabc64706c_Yesserious.gif.3e358ba125ba730d16492090d404a700.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

This "thorn", in particular, is said to affect over 200k of our brothers & sisters. Imagine how hard it is for them when Satan system constantly pushes this. I commend those who continue to struggle with their flesh and yet maintain their integrity to Jehovah. 

I've disconnected cable altogether, mainly because of what some of you have said. So, this really leaves me to be very conscious of what goes into the DVD player. Now too I realize how much I don't miss it. I hear friends talk about the latest shows or streaming series etc., and I wonder how they manage to fit everything in. I like to be prepared for meetings and service and I still find it hard to get it all done. Will be so nice when that influence will be gone...I "pray let it come, let it come."

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Removed spoiler tag, because it was empty anyway

On 9/29/2017 at 4:54 PM, CouveBro said:

This "thorn", in particular, is said to affect over 200k of our brothers & sisters. Imagine how hard it is for them when Satan system constantly pushes this. I commend those who continue to struggle with their flesh and yet maintain their integrity to Jehovah. 

I've disconnected cable altogether, mainly because of what some of you have said. So, this really leaves me to be very conscious of what goes into the DVD player. Now too I realize how much I don't miss it. I hear friends talk about the latest shows or streaming series etc., and I wonder how they manage to fit everything in. I like to be prepared for meetings and service and I still find it hard to get it all done. Will be so nice when that influence will be gone...I "pray let it come, let it come." 

Super good comments Jay, thanks for that, appreciated.

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Removed spoiler tag, because it was empty anyway

This is a public forum, let's try to stay on topic and discuss just the new Star Trek series....if there is anything to discuss...

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/do-jehovahs-witnesses-ban-certain-entertainment/#?insight[search_id]=d9411b20-fe12-43f9-b9bc-9b3cfaeebbd0&insight[search_result_index]=15

The Bible encourages each individual to train his “perceptive powers” to discern right and wrong.—Hebrews 5:14.

The Scriptures set forth basic principles that a Christian can weigh when selecting entertainment. * As with all areas of life, our goal is to “keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord.”—Ephesians 5:10.

The Bible teaches that family heads have a measure of authority, so they may choose not to allow certain entertainment among members of their household. (1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 6:1-4) Outside the family, however, no one is authorized to ban specific films, songs, or artists as being unacceptable for members of the congregation.—Galatians 6:5.

On 9/29/2017 at 4:04 PM, Shawnster said:

We can't get away from it any longer.  It will soon be that every TV show will feature a lead gay character.  Even reality tv shows like TLC's Trading Spaces (home makeover show) or Food Network's The Great Food Truck Race  feature obviously flaming homosexual guests and contestants.  It's like shows are going out of their way to present homosexuality as normal and acceptable.

It isn't 'like' they're doing that - they definitely are literally doing that.  And the reason, of course, is that Satan is the ruler of the world.  (There is, after all, no rational reason, even to a secular mind, to promote the even more current idea that a man becomes a woman if he puts on a dress.  Clearly incredibly unscientific, so why would the educated and scientifically enlightened world we live in promote such an idea?  Because Satan wishes it.)

So yes, the vast majority of popular entertainment will be promoting Satan's ideas more and more strongly as we get closer to the end.  Knowing that, and the reasons behind it, doesn't seem like a reason to become more accepting of it - it's the very fact that it becomes more and more obvious that this isn't just the world accidentally drifting further from God's standards, but a deliberate attack by Satan, that puts my guard up against it.

And I'd say we can get away from it.  It just means being less current.  Watching older or sometimes less mainstream TV shows.  I watched a lot of old Star Trek episodes again lately - with hundreds of hours of runtime in the series that already exist, that will last a bit longer yet!  Doctor Who has had similar problems recently, but since it's been going 50 years, there's still plenty of old episodes I haven't even seen.  Indeed, I've gone back and watched stuff like 'Invasion of the Body-Snatchers' and 'Enemy Mine', and with those old Sci-Fi Movies you don't even need to worry about unmarried couples.  (Haven't got round to watching 'Plan Nine From Outer Space' yet!)  There's plenty of entertainment besides Sci-Fi, of course.  Searching for 'Christian Comedian' on YouTube brings up some good results.  There's comedy TV series like Yes Minister (if you're British - I suppose it would seem less relevant elsewhere) which are still entertaining now, and clean.  I like watching Phineas and Ferb and a few other well-written cartoons because there's no need to have your guard up while watching them, and despite their primary audience they still manage to be witty.  Radio is often better too, and seems to repeat older, cleaner stuff more.  There's still plenty of entertainment that isn't particularly attacking our morality, it just isn't being obviously presented to us, because what Satan's system wants us to watch is the stuff that most strongly promotes his values.