JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

Interesting,

I created notes with my Windows 10 PC and backed them up to my Onedrive account. Then I opened my Android and I was able to restore the notes into my Android. Unfortunately it overwrote the notes I had created in the Android.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Interesting,

I created notes with my Windows 10 PC and backed them up to my Onedrive account. Then I opened my Android and I was able to restore the notes into my Android. Unfortunately it overwrote the notes I had created in the Android.

Yes, we will need to be organised with our backups. There is a warning about overwriting in the iOS version, at least.

Great that it allows us to choose from the major cloud-storage providers.

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

1 minute ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Yes, we will need to be organised with our backups. There is a warning about overwriting in the iOS version, at least.

Great that it allows us to choose from the major cloud storage providers.

It looks like the backup file uses the device name to identify the file so you can have multiple devices backed up to the same location.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Hey, I found an old earthenware fragment in a cave:

Daniel 12:4 “As for you, Daniel, keep the words secret, and seal up the book until the time of the end. Many will rove about, and the true knowledge will become abundant.” Between the giraffe and the great tribulation shall come the JW Library update.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I'm interested in how everyone will use the Tag feature.

It looks like you can remove the Tag without deleting the Note. That means we can organize our notes using our RV names and then delete their Tag after we shared the note with them. We could create a Tag for a meeting so we have our comments organized. We can also create Tags for subjects.

So Tags can be used for:

Subjects

People

Meetings

What else?

How do you plan to use Tags? 

Edited by Tortuga

I'm interested in the how everyone will use the Tag feature.
It looks like you can remove the Tag without deleting the Note. That means we can organize our notes using our RV names and then delete their Tag after we shared the note with them. We could create a Tag for a meeting so we have our comments organized. We can also create Tags for subjects.

So Tags can be used for:
Subjects
People
Meetings

What else?
How do you plan to use Tags? 

I think I will use tags a lot. I love order when researching.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Update for iOS!

IMG_3034.thumb.PNG.e79bda2e2c0748efd85c14f4e8bf6116.PNG

Doesn't show up here (west coast US) in app store.  7:45 AM PST.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

56 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Great that it allows us to choose from the major cloud-storage providers.

I didn't get the warning. How do you get to the backup settings? I can't see them in my Android device.

6 minutes ago, Old said:

1 hour ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Update for iOS!

IMG_3034.thumb.PNG.e79bda2e2c0748efd85c14f4e8bf6116.PNG

Doesn't show up here (west coast US) in app store.  7:45 AM PST.

Right, the one night i didn't go to sleep with my iPad charging. I thought maybe this was why. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Got it...!!

it looks very simple...almost as simple as a paper library, just less heavy!

i have poked around a little this morning and will continue to do so...not sure how I will 'tag' my notes yet...but the first couple have been...'bible reading' - 'meeting comment'. But I likely will change that to 'meetings' only.  Be good to see what others do here.

i looked at my backup and 'all' annotations since I started using JW Library are saved!  The file is only about 500 KB...it will be interesting to see how large it gets as we write our own notes.

happy single App studying my brothers and sisters...

13 minutes ago, leoperales said:

I didn't get the warning. How do you get to the backup settings? I can't see them in my Android device.

There is a cloud icon in the bar when you are in the Personal Study section.

35 minutes ago, leoperales said:

I found it. Thanks. I'm assuming we can create one back up file and then use that to download on other devices?

I tested that and it overwrites any existing file you have on the second device. 

BTW: I went from PC to Android and back again with no problem...:)

Edited by Tortuga

8 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I tested that and it overwrites any existing file you have on the second device. 

BTW: I went from PC to Android and back again with no problem...:)

So, the solution is:

Before adding any notes on a Device "B", we should import the file from Device "A". After working on the device "B" we should backup the notes and later on import on the device "A" before starting to work there, and so on...

It would be good to have a sync function for those tasks to be made automatically when changing devices...

It is also no good to ask a friend to pass the study notes of this week WT ;)

Edited by jayrtom

On 5/3/2017 at 6:10 PM, AH173 said:

I'm used to the past trends of 1st Apple, 2nd windows 10 and Android last. 

It would be nice if all at the same time. We shall see. 

I was happy to be proven wrong! It's excellent! 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Has anyone noticed if there is a character limit or backup file size limit?

2 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Hey, I found an old earthenware fragment in a cave:

If that is from the white ceramic basin in the small room, just put it down and wash your hands...:eek:

I have a measure of difficulty when using new technologies. I've started exploring this new update, but I'm not sure if I'm taking full advantage of the features available. Would it be too much if I asked someone to put it step by step (using PrtScn) to annotate and import notes? :blushing:

Create a note:

Underline a sentence and press the plus sign

20170508_190703.thumb.png.02c47e1d30dd3c76cc50cef5cc8e137b.png

The note will appear on the study pane (the place where we would read the doc's embedded notes) 

You can write what you want and add tags

20170508_190914.thumb.jpg.972cbfa48fd8ec2e0950ae0d89002279.jpg

Also you can choose the note's color. Below is shown the 3 dots where you can edit the note or delete it

20170508_191750_20170508191815708.jpg.426db7438dcf55d85e385203822b70a2.jpg

Backup notes:

Click the personal study link

20170508_191105.thumb.jpg.f3fa462ee80cce12b74bdd70db8b8fec.jpg

And then the backup icon ( it's the same for restoring) 

20170508_191132.jpg.1fc622314a5f97144bba6682fc6a4649.jpg

Edited by jayrtom

4 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Create a note:

Underline a sentence and press the plus sign

20170508_190703.thumb.png.02c47e1d30dd3c76cc50cef5cc8e137b.png

The note will appear on the study pane (the place where we would read the doc's embedded notes) 

You can write what you want and add tags

20170508_190914.thumb.jpg.972cbfa48fd8ec2e0950ae0d89002279.jpg

Also you can choose the note's color. Below is shown the 3 dots where you can edit the note or delete it

20170508_191750_20170508191815708.jpg.426db7438dcf55d85e385203822b70a2.jpg

Backup notes:

Click the personal study link

20170508_191105.thumb.jpg.f3fa462ee80cce12b74bdd70db8b8fec.jpg

And then the backup icon ( it's the same for restoring) 

20170508_191132.jpg.1fc622314a5f97144bba6682fc6a4649.jpg

Wow! Perfect! Thank you very much for your kind attention! Now I can figure out how to do it!