JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

I have what I thought would be a good suggestion,  when writing a scripture in the notes it would be nice to be able to tap the Scripture and go right into the Bible. Saving having to go in and out of your notes because you  might have more than one scripture that you might want to go to.

4 hours ago, appchasers said:

So happy to have this update! This is the one we've all been waiting for.

I've updated our video series on AppChasers.com to now include a How-To video on notes and backups. Please let me know if you see anything omitted that should be added to a Part 5.5 video. Thanks!

http://appchasers.com/2017/05/09/how-to-use-the-jw-library-app-part-5-notes-and-backup/

There are four other parts to this video series so if you know anyone who needs more help with JW Library, these may be of some help.

3 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

Brother Eric!  I looooove you so much!  Thank you for thinking of me and ones like me who struggle with figuring out these programs. You don't know what it means to have this added felt that I constantly refer back to when I can't recall the proper steps.  It has helped so much.  I don't feel embarrassed to constantly ask for help, or reminders on what they have already told me. I appreciate all your time, patience and energy you put in to your easy to understand tutorial.  Thanks again!

Leslie, thanks so much for the encouragement about my video. Please let me know if any of you have more suggestions. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, a3a27988 said:

I have what I thought would be a good suggestion,  when writing a scripture in the notes it would be nice to be able to tap the Scripture and go right into the Bible. Saving having to go in and out of your notes because you  might have more than one scripture that you might want to go to.

Capturar.PNG.5937c38063cb06b19feadea1f1c0a736.PNG

Last time I made suggestions was before the version 8.0 and almost every suggestion I made came trough. So I'm pretty confident this ones will come too ;)

I've reported a minor bug:

"Deleting a note (that had a tag in my case) and then navigating back to Personal Study view (arrow at top left) causes JW Library to crash."

iOS 

No date loss occurred.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

You should send your suggestion here: https://www.formstack.com/forms/watchtower-jw_library

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

More suggestions that I just made.

I also suggest that any other suggestion would be added here so we avoid repeating (in this case I don't think we should use "repetition for emphasis" :wink:)

1- Floating Button to go to the Bible (over any part of the app).
   1.1- When cliquing the button, possibility to chose the verse from a small pop-up window.
   1.2- Possibility of reading the bible, launched from this button, in a pop-up window (possibility to resize this window)
   1.3- when creating a note, possibility to click this button and create a link for the chosen text inside the note
2- Ability to use the app in dual screen mode for the devices that support this
   2.1. Ability to use two instances of JW Library (Useful for two idioms at the same time)
3- Open the images, like we do on wol.jw.org, and be able to resize or save them directly from the app
4- Have a button to enable or disable an "highlight mode". When the mode is ON we can just pass the finger and the app highlights instead of scrolling the screen. When the mode is OFF it    would work as it is right now
5- In the bible, option to hide/show highlights (useful in the ministry if we want to show to the householder a "clean" bible)
6- Ability to use underline instead of highlight
7- Ability to collapse and expand the notes (individually or per paragraph) for the case of lengthy chapters of a publication where we can have several notes, even for the same paragraph, and the right pane becomes completely full of information difficult to see

What is the purpose of sharing or copying a cited scripture when holding a finger down in iOS?

The text shared is what I underlined, rather than the scripture itself. How can that text be used?

IMG_3039.thumb.PNG.59c24bdcd460bfc6ade1e403c4c3b57f.PNG

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

15 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

What is the purpose of sharing or copying a cited scripture when holding a finger down in iOS?

The text shared is what I underlined, rather than the scripture itself. How can that text be used?

Try to past it on a note and see if it works like a link to the scripture. (On android and windows there's no option like that)

Such a wonderful gift from Jehovah and his Son!!! A tear actually came to my eye when the update came in!  I'm LOVING it.  I haven't quite figured out how to delete a tag I've created in a note though.  I'm sure it's something very simple that I overlooked.

It was simple, just click on it and type in a new tag and the old one goes away.  But if I decided not to type in a new tag, how do I get rid of the old one?

Also, I love that fact that I can start the video (like the one we have on maintaining our Kingdom Halls this week) minimize it and still hear the audio and then go to the article that corresponds with it and answer the questions via note taking while I'm listening to the video!!!!

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

9 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Try to past it on a note and see if it works like a link to the scripture. (On android and windows there's no option like that)

I can't get it to do anything in Notes, Safari, Workflow, Online Library....

It's just plain text, rather than a link.

Such a wonderful gift from Jehovah and his Son!!! A tear actually came to my eye when the update came in!  I'm LOVING it.  I haven't quite figured out how to delete a tag I've created in a note though.  I'm sure it's something very simple that I overlooked.

You can either place the cursor behind the tag and delete it, or go to Personal Study > Click on the tag and select the icon called Remove tag in the right hand corner.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

5 minutes ago, shali said:

Also, I love that fact that I can start the video (like the one we have on maintaining our Kingdom Halls this week) minimize it and still hear the audio and then go to the article that corresponds with it and answer the questions via note taking while I'm listening to the video!!!!

I did that too...:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Thesauron said:

You can either place the cursor behind the tag and delete it, or go to Personal Study > Click on the tag and select the icon called Remove tag in the right hand corner.

Johan

Thanks, I haven't explored in the "personal study" tab enough yet.  Might of taken me a while to figure that out myself, so thank you!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

35 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

It's similar here (iOS):

IMG_3040.thumb.PNG.28eea61a32ed647b553a7032c9e1c8b5.PNG

The thick plottens!

I do certainlythink that this is an amazing update and I can find many uses for it, but for Bible note-taking, I still prefer the options available in Equipd Bible, especially as it incorporates many of the functions which have been mentioned as future suggestions.

Using both these apps is likely to be my modus operandus in many ways.

As I still use the original Equipd, it is still favourite for Watchtower and Cong Bible Study as I can merely double-tap to bring up my choice of alternative language.

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

You are right. Equipd Bible has a similar feature. It offers to open the link in the appropriate app but the iOS implementation is buggy.

IMG_3041.thumb.PNG.10db93656473efca95aa0b8ad080856e.PNG

I'd like to say for the record that I will be using JW Library on an exclusive basis for everything theocratic. I've already painstakingly transferred all my notes from my epub bi12 and ks-10 over to JW Library and have DELETED the old epub files, as a sign of a fresh start.

2 minutes ago, Araujo JW said:

I have a question: If I add study notes to my PC's JW Library, can I import these notes into the JW Library of my tablet?

Yes. It has worked for me.

3 minutes ago, leoperales said:

I'd like to say for the record that I will be using JW Library on an exclusive basis for everything theocratic. I've already painstakingly transferred all my notes from my epub bi12 and ks-10 over to JW Library and have DELETED the old epub files, as a sign of a fresh start.

Yes. It has worked for me.

Ks-10? :D Anything else you want to share?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 minute ago, Araujo JW said:

How can I do this, please? 

This will be the paradise!

What I did was create a backup copy of my tablet notes on the cloud, and then I downloaded it on JW Library on my PC. From there, I can make as many notes as I want on my JW Library on PC. When I finish, I create a NEW backup copy of the JW Library on the PC. Then I can go back in the tablet and Restore that copy on the tablet.