JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Only the Brave - The Story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3829920/videoplayer/vi241875225?ref_=tt_ov_vi

I think the trailer looks very interesting.

I've always had a fascination for the firefighter units of the United States, especially elite crews like the "Smokejumpers" but I also think that firefighters, along with EMTs and other emergency rescue workers are the last true everyday heroes. Apart from our full-time servants, that is :D

Apparently the movie is starting in the coming days, I wonder if anyone is going to watch it?

I agree, it looks interesting. I will have to see how things go. Right now, my work is so slow it is almost running in reverse - makes available funds a little tight :(

I may have to wait for it to come to TV

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I trained for industrial fires and had a little training on wildland fires but I've never experienced a large wildland fire.

I'm interested in the movie, I'm wondering how it will be received in this area after the large fires we just had.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, ChocoBro said:

I think the trailer looks very interesting.

I've always had a fascination for the firefighter units

I didn't look at your link(yet) but I am vaguely aware of  this movie. I'm kinda like you,  a bit(large) of fascination about the aircraft used in a fire fight.

I like airplanes.  I still think an earlier model Spitfire is one of the prettiest planes ever built but when you see a scoop equipped fixed wing gobble up a few hundred gallons of water it is an awesome thing.

When I see those C130s diving into a valley full of smoke and flame, well,  it's pretty impressive to me.

My last secular job there in Grass Valley was at a weld shop that was right next to Loma Rica airport and we were about 100 feet away from the tanker fill up, when they get loaded with borate (it used to be borate) I worked there for close to 10 years and watched I don't know how many of those planes land. It was pretty neat. 

download (2).jpg

Edited by tekmantwo

Hopefully added a picture. ..

I just watched the preview,  I am pretty sure I'll go watch it.

This is a stretch but one of my son in laws has a brother that is a /or used to be a smoke jumper. I only met him once and several of us spent a few hours goofin off but he had some cool stories. That was a long time ago,  that's why I called it a stretch ^_^

Thanks for the heads up. ..

commonsensemedia.org has reviews of several new movies that were recently released - There are a few I want to see so I just though some of you might like the review site, especially those with children. ^_^

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I trained for industrial fires and had a little training on wildland fires but I've never experienced a large wildland fire.

I'm interested in the movie, I'm wondering how it will be received in this area after the large fires we just had.

Been there, done that. The big difference between then and now is personal equipment and training. We were issued a hardhat, safety goggles, a pulaski or a shovel. No gloves, no masks, no face shields, zero protective equipment or training of any sort. When putting out hotspots a day after a borate drop the air was full of choking red dust.

The best job was to be assigned to a pumper truck on night shift. At night we had to keep within sight of each other. The pumpers only worked hotspots and the rest of the time you could sleep, unless you had a watch foreman that had been an army 2nd lieutenant, which we had one night,  he informed us you weren’t getting paid to sleep, do something! After 6 nights on the fireline, we laughed in his face.

An incident that remains with me to this day was when the crummies that took us out to the fire lines had parked on a dead-end logging road, the road being the containment line for the fire in our area. Things were pretty relaxed when a quarter of a mile back up the road we came in on, the fire started to roar like a jet engine . A huge pile of wood trash left by loggers was heating up and providing it’s own draft. Flames were bursting out of the tree tops and crossing our only escape path. The hotspot was inside the edge of the fire about 200 feet. The rising heat was pulling air up the hill and drafting the flames over our heads. Our driver pulled the pumper as close as he could get. I jumped off and grabbed the nozzle, hollering “Somebody pull hose!” and took off. Someone was helping me pull the hose right through the burned underbrush. When I got the water directed on the hotspot I saw who had followed me on the hose, it was ‘”Little Johnny Wrinkle”. He wasn’t little, the name came from our congregation to differentiate between him and his dad, “Big Johnny”. Little Johnny was working at my company that summer while putting his affairs in order to pioneer. We traded places on the nozzle until the pumper ran out of water. Our efforts cooled the fire to the point it was no longer pulling a daft up the canyon allowing the crew, the crummies and pumpers to move up the road so we had a way out.

The next day I got hauled into management was given a verbal citation. Little Johnny worked for a different division, I don’t know if he got thanked.

Three months later Johnny was pioneering in Portland and working part-time installing insulation. He was insulating the inside roof of a natural gas storage tank when some idiot opened the infill line. Johnny was killed in the the resulting fire. 

Sorry about running on, couldn’t quit once I started to relive the story.:(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Tried to get this in on an edit, but was too late.

Here is the fire we were on: 

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/oxbow_ridge_fire_of_1966/#.WefpgGiPKM8

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

9 minutes ago, Old said:

Tried to get this in on an edit, but was too late.

Here is the fire we were on: 

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/oxbow_ridge_fire_of_1966/#.WefpgGiPKM8

Wow....:o

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

14 hours ago, Old said:

I jumped off and grabbed the nozzle, hollering “Somebody pull hose!” and took off. Someone was helping me pull the hose right through the burned underbrush. When I got the water directed on the hotspot I saw who had followed me on the hose, it was ‘”Little Johnny Wrinkle”.

In my industrial fire training they trained us to use a three man hose team, the nozzle man focused on getting the wet stuff on the red stuff, the #3 guy focused on ensuring the water supply was stable (hose connections, kinks, ruptures, parked trucks), the #2 guy did all of the hard work. He pulled most of the weight, it was not an easy job...

• 6 months later...

Well, there's that then.

The movie is supposed to start in Germany on Thursday but I can't find any theatres showing it because everyone just wants to watch Avengers Infinity War. So, the theatres are giving a pass to a movie that revolves around true heroes that sacrificed their life for others in order to be able to make more money by showing a movie about fake heroes that never made any difference except at the box office, not even to mention that those films always STINK

To top it all off, one of my formerly favorite theatres is advertising with this picture

bosslogic-last-shawarma-infinity-war-ave

Again, a true hero who actually made a sacrifice replaced by a fake hero with no merit. How very fitting.

Again, I wonder why the Bible didn't prophecy stupidity and bad taste in the Last Days, but hey, I guess I'll just go with "lovers of money", "unthankful", "fierce", "without love of goodness" and "without natural affection" because that's about as close as the prophecies get in this case.

On Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 6:32 PM, ChocoBro said:

Well, there's that then.

The movie is supposed to start in Germany on Thursday but I can't find any theatres showing it because everyone just wants to watch Avengers Infinity War. So, the theatres are giving a pass to a movie that revolves around true heroes that sacrificed their life for others in order to be able to make more money by showing a movie about fake heroes that never made any difference except at the box office, not even to mention that those films always STINK

To top it all off, one of my formerly favorite theatres is advertising with this picture

bosslogic-last-shawarma-infinity-war-ave

Again, a true hero who actually made a sacrifice replaced by a fake hero with no merit. How very fitting.

Again, I wonder why the Bible didn't prophecy stupidity and bad taste in the Last Days, but hey, I guess I'll just go with "lovers of money", "unthankful", "fierce", "without love of goodness" and "without natural affection" because that's about as close as the prophecies get in this case.

That's the world we live in, and here we are where people regard the king of wakanda(black panther) their true hero.:huh:

And sometimes a picture is just a picture :eek: after all, it is a depiction of the characters in the movie :yes:  

It is just like when Star Trek first aired - no one was bothered by Kirk saying "Where no man has gone before" :nope:  but, it was later changed to "where on one has gone before" :shrugs:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 5/7/2018 at 6:49 PM, Qapla said:

And sometimes a picture is just a picture :eek: after all, it is a depiction of the characters in the movie :yes:  

I wasn't really implying that it is blasphemy to take Da Vincis painting an reinterpret it for marketing purposes, although the main character in the original painting WAS Jesus Christ - who nobody believes in or cares about anymore - and replaced by Iron Man - who you can make a movie just with him flying around and blasting robots for 90 minutes and it would be a box office hit.

My point is that the use of this symbolism is very fitting for the fact that there is no money to be made by the telling of a story of TRUE heroes, the type of heroes that may one day actually show up at your door-step and save a family member from a gruelling death by asphyxiation or burning, who made a real sacrifice, because a story about a bunch of freaks in spandex and leather fighting a godlike goon coming from another galaxy to fix up some stupid glove that he can pulverize humanity is far more relevant to their lives.... and at the end you have people discussing things like "Where was that awesome archer dude"... you know, the really weighing questions of our generation.

• 5 months later...

Well, I finally got around to renting the Blu-Ray. After hardly any movie theater here showed it...

What a tragedy. And you really wonder what made them leave the safety of the black zone to get down to that ranch.

Anyway, we watched this on youtube right after and it made me hold back tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begTiksUwqc

She wants to be with her husband in heaven, how often have I heard that story. And it made me think of how probably, these guys will show up together in the New World where they will be able to enjoy the awe-inspiring creation with Jehovah where "they will dwell in security", with "nothing" to make them afraid. But it also made me think of how sad it would be if their wives and children would be left behind. And that made me ask myself if anybody has reached out with the wonderful promise of a resurrection on paradise Earth.

I pray for their families.