JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New Video - 2017 Writing Conmittee Report - English Study Bible

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2283 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

3 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

New feature to be added to the study bible, and based on the Make Sure book.  Old publications still have their worth.

Yes, I thought that was most interesting. But beyond just interesting, I was planning on compiling a list of scriptures in a similar vein. But I guess now I'll just wait xD Gives me more time to focus on other scripture studies. :)

11 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

based on the Make Sure book

It's interesting that we seem to be getting more 'personal development' material and less 'service oriented' material.

It seems that it use to be that every publication released was for the ministry, now we are getting more material to help us strengthen our faith and just hold on...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

It’s all very exciting!

As shown in the video,

Things the Online Study Bible has that the JW Library version (iOS 10.0.1) doesn’t have (2017-12-23):

Only the Online version can play audio starting from a chosen verse etc. (Just start the audio, full-size it, and drag the scroll bar to an estimated position in the JW Library version.)*

Only the Online version can highlight in the reading pane all the cross-references in a category. (Parallel Account, Quoted Scriptures, General)

The Media Gallery can also be accessed from within a specific picture etc in the Online version. (JW Library version requires going back to the list of chapters to view ALL the media.)

:)

*I mostly need the audio of a specific verse to check pronunciation. But there is an app for that,

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/biblical-pronunciations/id970048667?mt=8

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It's interesting that we seem to be getting more 'personal development' material and less 'service oriented' material.

It seems that it use to be that every publication released was for the ministry, now we are getting more material to help us strengthen our faith and just hold on...

Yes, I noticed at our last several assemblies and conventions we don't have nearly as many experiences from the field, either.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

New feature to be added to the study bible, and based on the Make Sure book.  Old publications still have their worth.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with “Make Sure of All Things”, it was a book released in 1953 as a handy field-service tool. The 416-page pocket-size book assembled 5,043 scriptures under 70 main themes. This little book meant that Jehovah’s Witnesses now had at their fingertips the Scriptural answers to questions raised in the ministry. 1963 saw the release of the updated 512-page “Make Sure of All Things; Hold Fast to What is Fine”, which gathered scriptures under 123 subjects.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with “Make Sure of All Things”, it was a book released in 1953 as a handy field-service tool. The 416-page pocket-size book assembled 5,043 scriptures under 70 main themes. This little book meant that Jehovah’s Witnesses now had at their fingertips the Scriptural answers to questions raised in the ministry. 1963 saw the release of the updated 512-page “Make Sure of All Things; Hold Fast to What is Fine”, which gathered scriptures under 123 subjects.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

15 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

416-page pocket-size book assembled 5,043 scriptures under 70 main themes. This little book meant that Jehovah’s Witnesses now had at their fingertips the Scriptural answers to questions raised in the ministry

Was this essentially the precursor to the Reasoning Book?

48 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

The Make Sure books were all scriptures, nothing else.  The Reasoning book also has other material, like quotes from books and encyclopaedias.  But I think is was the precursor.

Correct, Make Sure of all Things was first (1954?) I preferred the Make Sure of all Things book because it was an easy, fast reference at the door for overcoming an objection. To me, the  Reasoning book was better for research such as might be used in preparing for a return visit or a Bible Study (Back when Bible Studies were usually conducted sitting down and lasted about an hour.) I seldom used the Reasoning Book on a first call because the print was small and the references extensive.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

In the "old days" I used to order a Green NWT bible (1961 ed) and a Make Sure book and then send them off to be bound together in a soft black cover titled Holy Bible.  I used it as a super-powered, door-to-door Bible / Reference.  I think I did the same thing with the later Black NWT and the Reasoning Book but it was not quite the same.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

In the "old days" I used to order a Green NWT bible (1961 ed) and a Make Sure book and then send them off to be bound together in a soft black cover titled Holy Bible.  I used it as a super-powered, door-to-door Bible / Reference.  I think I did the same thing with the later Black NWT and the Reasoning Book but it was not quite the same.

I remember that combo, along with the super large ‘pio’ bible. 

On 12/26/2017 at 1:45 PM, Thesauron said:

it was a book released in 1953 as a handy field-service tool. The 416-page pocket-size book assembled 5,043 scriptures under 70 main themes. This little book meant that Jehovah’s Witnesses now had at their fingertips the Scriptural answers to questions raised in the ministry.

this succinct description is just excellent! I was actually going to ask if I can use it as the intro paragraph for the wiki article about this publication until I realized you pasted this from the proclaimers book (which is copyrighted) so I'll have to slightly rephrase it anyway. :lol:   Still, good work locating such information; 1953 was way before my time! and I had no idea what this book was when the video mentioned it.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

I wonder if this developer, Stefano Russello, is a brother

He also makes an Earthquake app. But I can’t see Pestilence and Famine.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

this succinct description is just excellent! I was actually going to ask if I can use it as the intro paragraph for the wiki article about this publication until I realized you pasted this from the proclaimers book (which is copyrighted) so I'll have to slightly rephrase it anyway. :lol:   Still, good work locating such information; 1953 was way before my time! and I had no idea what this book was when the video mentioned it.

Yes, I guess you need to source the jv-book if you wish to use the quote in any other way, as it was based on a paragraph in that book and also a Watchtower article from the time.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”