JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WT Study Edition April 2018 PDF

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2308 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

JWPUB link

https://www.jw.org/download/?issue=201804&output=html&pub=w&fileformat=JWPUB%2CMOBI%2CPDF%2CRTF%2CTXT%2CBRL%2CBES&alllangs=0&langwritten=E&txtCMSLang=E&isBible=0

The QfR brings up this hot topic: Why is it not permissible to post publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses on a personal website or on social media?

The Other QfR is interesting too: In the 2013 revision of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, Psalm 144:12-15 applies to God’s people. The previous rendering applied this to the wicked foreigners, who are mentioned in verse 11. Why was the wording adjusted?

Happy reading!

Edited by Thesauron

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

Hopefully after reading the QFR, many personal websites and youtube channels will be removed.  The ones left will be apostate sites.

Some friends have searched the Internet for older publications, I hope the QFR helps them reason on that...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I wonder what is source of some of these older publications on the internet.  Many are PDFs which are scans of the publications.  Not officially made by the slave, they didn't make digital publications at the time.  But who scanned and made them.  Do you really know?  Do you know that they are accurate scans, complete and unaltered?  Stick with the official site.

Also you may have noticed that the Wonders of Creation video has finally been made for download.  I remember, in recent months,  that an elder from the platform in a meeting part said you can download from youtube!!!   True, you can, but shouldn't, and the uploader should not have down so either. 

There is also a comment about forums.  I only use them to discuss beard related topics.  Its a hot topic on some forums, not here though. :) 

4 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Do you really know?  Do you know that they are accurate scans, complete and unaltered?  Stick with the official site.

nope, you can't know for sure!

4 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Not officially made by the slave, they didn't make digital publications at the time

but there is one exception here: around the year 2008 jw-media.org (remember that former official website?) had posted PDFs of the Revelation Book, Daniel's Prophecy, and some others. These did not includes pictures, but they were replicas of the printed page (sort of like a digital master of what was being sent to the printery).

They did this to show that our publications were not cult-recruiting material. Many (myself included) downloaded these and still have them in our digital collections. But we shouldn't generally circulate them, and if we do not have them, we should not be googling around looking for them. If you don't personally know a person, don't take things they offer you--neither physical publications nor digital ones.

Strange that the magazine doesn’t mention WT Library. It’s not an “app” but could be used on “a mobile device” if it runs Windows.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Maybe its because you obtain the WT Library from your Kingdom Hall (or at least, that is the proper method of obtaining it)  Apps like JW Library are through your app store.  Now if did a search for JW Library, JW, Watchtower or the like, you will come across many, many other apps.  Some made by brothers, and some not.  And if you are not aware you may download one of these apps.   Some even cost money, for an app that downloads spiritual food from jw.org.  I have read some comments and reviews left on some of these other apps.  Reading them, you realise that some think that the app was made by the organization, they thank Jehovah for the wonderful provision he has made through this app.  The organization didn't make it, and Jehovah had nothing to do with it either.

The article doesn't make mention of stream.jw.org, or any other xyz.jw.org website.  Just the three public ones.

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

but there is one exception here: around the year 2008 jw-media.org (remember that former official website?) had posted PDFs of the Revelation Book, Daniel's Prophecy, and some others. These did not includes pictures, but they were replicas of the printed page (sort of like a digital master of what was being sent to the printery).

You can still download some these using the web archive website, web.archive.org and searching for http://www.jw-media.org/rus/publications/rusban.htm

On 12/29/2017 at 9:04 AM, Jonathan77 said:

You can still download some these using the web archive website

aha, true! https://web.archive.org/web/20111210115247/http://www.jw-media.org/rus/publications/rusban.htm

Revelation book,  Daniel book,  Mankind Search for God  and Life—How Did It Get Here?  all appear there in english and russian

On 12/29/2017 at 8:36 AM, ChrisC said:

Strange that the magazine doesn’t mention WT Library

but notice the heading is "The only trusted online sources,"  WT on DVD is not obtainable online (or shouldn't be; they want us to obtain the disc, and then it can simply update itself to download new publications)

I just hope that very perceptive brothers don't get perturbed when they click the "Make a Donation" link at the bottom of jw.org and it takes them to apps.jw.org !

screen.png.9736aa6e56391b7f5459a2c04067b781.png

Having in mind this https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-study-april-2018/publications-personal-websites/ 

I would like to know: 
Does it mean that from now on we can not even use the website links in our forum or other social networks? 

Links are fine, I guess. We use them in the public ministry, when sending mails or texts to interested ones. But it might mean we cannot use, for example, images from that site.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Links are fine, I guess. We use them in the public ministry, when sending mails or texts to interested ones. But it might mean we cannot use, for example, images from that site.

The article mentioned e-mails as the exception. It's in the last paragraph. We can send an electronic copy of a publication (book, magazine, etc), or a link to it. We would not normally put an image in an e-mail. It would not be necessary if we send the publication itself or the link.

As for posting links on social media, including on JWTalk, the article did not specifically mention those. It's the posting of the publications themselves that creates problems.

Edited by Sheep

The article mentioned e-mails as the exception. It's in the last paragraph. We can send an electronic copy of a publication (book, magazine, etc), or a link to it. We would not normally put an image in an e-mail. It would not be necessary if we send the publication itself or the link.

As for posting links on social media, including on JWTalk, the article did not specifically mention those. It's the posting of the publications themselves that creates problems.

Yes, I agree. Links are fine. Not entire articles, publications, or images or other files, I suppose.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”