JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Motivation - Exercise

I really want to start 6 months of vigorous exercise (My blood test came back bit scary - increased sugar)

What do you do for motivation and how do you stick to your commitment?

Cutting back on sugar it's going to be difficult part ... LOL :confused:

Clearly, a program of moderate physical activity is vital to our well-being. Yet, despite the well-publicized risks of physical inactivity, a large segment of the world’s population remain virtually inactive. The World Heart Federation believes that between 60 and 85 percent of the world’s population “is not physically active enough to gain health benefits, especially among girls and women.” This organization claims that “nearly two thirds of children are also insufficiently active for their health.” In the United States, about 40 percent of adults are sedentary, and about half the youths between the ages of 12 and 21 do not engage in regular vigorous activities. Awake 5/22 2005

Tips and help, advice appreciated :D

480s.png

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

8 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Clearly, a program of moderate physical activity is vital to our well-being.

Here is a list of exercises that you can try. You can mix them up to add a little variety to your daily routine.

I try to do at least one a day otherwise I wouldn't get any exercise at all.

Jump to conclusions

Fly off the handle

Run in circles

Carry things too far

Dodge Responsibility

Push your Luck

:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Here is a list of exercises that you can try. You can mix them up to add a little variety to your daily routine.

I try to do at least one a day otherwise I wouldn't get any exercise at all.

Jump to conclusions

Fly off the handle

Run in circles

Carry things too far

Dodge Responsibility

Push your Luck

:D

All participants on the beard thread should be examples of insane health.... they “run in circles” forever and start again LOL :scared:

I just jumped to conclusions and carried things too far :lol1:

Possibly pushed my luck :whistling:

I am really committed to dodge responsibility for my comment which truly flew of the handle :whistling:

I feel healthier already :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Hi Greg,

Here are a couple of ideas you might like for exercise.

> FUN

I find the best motivation for exercise is doing some form of exercise that is fun! So running or lifting weights I don't consider fun, but I love tennis and other sports. And so when I am playing tennis or basketball or soccer, I don't think of myself as "exercising" but instead just having a good time. The drawback is that you have to have some brothers to play with in these sports. So what I did was make a list of brothers from various congregations who like to play certain sports and then I call them and make plans. So an example of a schedule is playing tennis 1-2x during the week and then a game of basketball or some other sport on the weekend, this helps to give me exercise 2-3x a week. Plus I am having "fun" and enjoying the time with my brothers! :)

> Combine Exercise with your Hobby

But sometimes there is no one available to play sports with, so here is another idea. Since you love photography, what if you could combine this with exercise? Here is what I mean.  You must live up to your name "GregEXPLORE", so if you were to go exploring with a "Road Bike" or "Mountain Bike" you would find that you would be exercising for several hours as you "explore" for good photography spots and also you can look out for some wildlife while biking. And when you find a good photo spot or see some cool wildlife, then you can take a break and take your camera out of your backpack and then enjoy your photography!  Then when finished, pack up and go be GregEXPLORE some more! Or head home if you are tired. :D

I have a "Road Bike" and I am surprised how many miles I have been able to go and how it strengthens my legs and helps me get more exercise than I would normally since I am having "fun" because I am exploring rather than doing some boring form of exercise. So go explore Greg! :dance:

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Last week I pulled my bike out of storage and I'm starting to ride it around the neighborhood, Neil is right, it is good exercise.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I pick a reasonable, smaller size I would like to be able to wear and then buy an outfit in that size, (in your case it could a suit for an upcoming assembly, etc.) Then I hang in on the wall somewhere I will see it daily. It helps remind me why I'm exercising more and gives me a direct goal. ^_^

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

15 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

I really want to start 6 months of vigorous exercise (My blood test came back bit scary - increased sugar)

What do you do for motivation and how do you stick to your commitment?

Cutting back on sugar it's going to be difficult part ... LOL :confused:

Why "vigorous" exercise?

Is increased blood sugar your only motivation?

Consistent exercise is likely more valuable. I'm terrible at it though!

As for blood sugars - try increasing your intake of cinnamon as well as chromium (often available combined in one supplement). Those do help me for sure.

I do a few other things to keep my blood sugar in a normal range since I do have other risk factors - so far, so good. Actually better than good! My last A1C was just 5.1, down from 6.0 in 2009. Other risk factors include: obesity, close relative w/Type 2 Diabetes (mom & sister, plus aunts, uncles, cousins), previous gestational diabetes, history of kidney problems, having other auto-immune disorders.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details about anything. :) 

My sporadic exercise of choice is average everyday walking when I'm able AND the occasional (but wanting it to be more consistent) T-Tapp in one variety or another. :whistling:

1 hour ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Greg,

Here are a couple of ideas you might like for exercise.

> FUN

I find the best motivation for exercise is doing some form of exercise that is fun! So running or lifting weights I don't consider fun, but I love tennis and other sports. And so when I am playing tennis or basketball or soccer, I don't think of myself as "exercising" but instead just having a good time. The drawback is that you have to have some brothers to play with in these sports. So what I did was make a list of brothers from various congregations who like to play certain sports and then I call them and make plans. So an example of a schedule is playing tennis 1-2x during the week and then a game of basketball or some other sport on the weekend, this helps to give me exercise 2-3x a week. Plus I am having "fun" and enjoying the time with my brothers! :)

> Combine Exercise with your Hobby

But sometimes there is no one available to play sports with, so here is another idea. Since you love photography, what if you could combine this with exercise? Here is what I mean.  You must live up to your name "GregEXPLORE", so if you were to go exploring with a "Road Bike" or "Mountain Bike" you would find that you would be exercising for several hours as you "explore" for good photography spots and also you can look out for some wildlife while biking. And when you find a good photo spot or see some cool wildlife, then you can take a break and take your camera out of your backpack and then enjoy your photography!  Then when finished, pack up and go be GregEXPLORE some more! Or head home if you are tired. :D

I have a "Road Bike" and I am surprised how many miles I have been able to go and how it strengthens my legs and helps me get more exercise than I would normally since I am having "fun" because I am exploring rather than doing some boring form of exercise. So go explore Greg! :dance:

I have 2 good bikes Neil and your good advice really motivated me to "un-dust them"

I don't like treadmills etc..so bike and walking should be more fun! :D

Camera idea does not need convincing LOL

15 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

I don't want to "rock" the turtle holding the earth

Consider it kindness LOL :lol1:

Oh, that's old Uncle Atlas...he still looks pretty good for 4 billion...

Wish I could help with the exercise part, but since I haven't found a way do make my own self do it, I have nothing. 

I was pre diabetic at one point, but now now live a ketogenic lifestyle, completely without sugar, and am a pretty decent cook, so if you ever want help with that part, I may be of some use. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Greg,

There are no shortcuts.  Like Nike says "Just Do It!"  At first, it won't be fun and you'll hurt as you use those muscles you don't normally use.  LOL - if you're challenging your body, it will always hurt, day after day.  It's rare to go or or leave the gym pain free.  You may need aspirin, and a hot bath.   Keep going.  Soon,  you'll get into a routine (habit) and start feeling good after you exercise,  that's really the motivation - feeling great afterwards.  I hated working out in the morning BUT, it was the best time - you would feel fantastic all day!  Days that I didn't work out in the morning, I noticed the difference.  Fitness devices like FitBit are good for motivating - they keep track of steps, heart rate, sleep etc.  You and a friend can challenge and keep each other accountable for getting in your daily 10,000 steps.  

Are you looking at weights, cardio, weight loss?  

If you have any (bootcamp/dancing/cycling/kick boxing) classes available - take them!  The results of one class are worth many hours in the gym.  You're doing something with others which holds your attention, the music is upbeat & loud,  the beat helps your stamina, you'll sweat your rear off, be gasping for breathe and before you know it, you're done!  Seriously hardcore but extremely fun workouts that go by very quickly.

Getting the heart rate up is key.  I think most are in agreement that alternating low intensity and high intensity gives the best results.  Whatever you are doing, go fast and hard until your heart rate gets up there good, then slow down for 2 minutes, repeat over and over.  Depending on what exercises you are doing the Internet has instructions for actual minutes.

If lifting weights, always do this BEFORE cardio.

If you like running, whether on a treadmill or outside, there are some great phone apps for running - search for 5K running apps.

Stretching is very important to keep flexible, make exercising more enjoyable, to be better attuned to your body, to burn calories and, help prevent injuries and, helps you to keep your height - everyone shrinks as they age.  

Rebounders (mini trampolines) are great.  Every jump defies gravity, forcing every cell in your body to adapt for a micro second.  I have a folding rebounder that takes up little space.  They are very gentle on your body and offer many benefits - including keeping your lymph glands moving.

I used to be a fitness instructor and over the years, I've bounced back & forth.  At times I would control my weight and exercised like a bandit.  Then, once things are nearly perfect, I hit the brakes - for no reason!  Literally when I'm at my peak, working out 2-3 times a week, doing Zumba and Bootcamp classes and feeling great, I stop.  I gain the weight back and have to wait for the next wave of motivation.  Gotta love imperfection! 

At my age, I'm not as concerned about the weight as I used to be.  Fat is much nicer to sleep on than bones.  :yawning:

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

Sister Lori,

Thank you for your motivational tips.

Just came back from the gym ... cardio 1 hour, swimming and sauna ..feel great!

Need to exercise for heath reasons..sugar level going up ... need to change diet as well... like you said... Gotta love imperfection! 

33 years ago after my 3 son was born, I startled jogging, three to 4 miles a day. Now I am down to walking. I put on some type of audio. Used to be the radio, now it is music, books, audio from JW org, monthly broadcast. Overtime I still gained weight and got diabetes, but I guess it could be worse if I hadn't.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

Safety first, make sure your joints can handle the stress/impact. If so try bodyweight exercises.

As they say... There's an app for that. Find an app you want to try for bodyweight exercises.

Ok so thanks for the motivation.
There are a few suits in my closet saying to me , "Bro, when can you take us outside again." "yeah when are you going to wear us again?"

So by the Memorial suits, by the Memorial I'll take you outside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk