JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Geography Question.

I just came across these questions from years ago. I wonder how many of our members can correctly answer the four basic questions about the 50 states comprising the United States of America.

1. Name the state that is the furthest south?

2. Name the state that is the furthest north?

3. Name the state that is the furthest east?

4. Name the state that is the furthest west?

How many named states did you use to answer the four questions?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

A second geography related question.

The 2018 Memorial will be held on March 31 this year.

1. Which location, country, city, or congregation will be first to host the celebration?

2. Which location, country, city, or congregation will be the last to host the celebration?

3. How many hours will separate the two celebrations?

I really don't have the answer at the moment, I need to work it out again. I just got word that I have the privilege of giving the  Memorial talk this coming March and thought this might be a point interest to share while the emblems are served.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

36 minutes ago, Old said:

I just came across these questions from years ago. I wonder how many of our members can correctly answer the four basic questions about the 50 states comprising the United States of America.

Texas, Alaska, Maine, Hawaii?

I haven't looked at a map yet...:confused:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

20 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Texas, Alaska, Maine, Hawaii?

I haven't looked at a map yet...:confused:

No, sorry! :) One right does not get the prize.

Edited by Old

20 minutes ago, Old said:

No, sorry! :) One right does not get the prize.

Ok, I just looked it up. Very interesting!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Old said:

Without looking. 

1. Hawaii

2. Alaska 

3. Maine

4. Hawaii

1 hour ago, Old said:

1. Which location, country, city, or congregation will be first to host the celebration?

2. Which location, country, city, or congregation will be the last to host the celebration?

3. How many hours will separate the two celebrations?

I think the international date line separates Samoa (to the West) from American Samoa (to the East). So the brothers from Samoa would be the first ones to celebrate the Memorial, followed by New Zealand, Australia, Asia, Europe, America, Western Pacific and finally, 24 hours later, the brothers in American Samoa.

2 minutes ago, Musky said:

I'll say that two of the states cover all four directions (if I'm remembering correctly.)

You are correct if you are counting all 50 states - however, if you only count the contiguous states, guess again

(oooops - did I just give it away)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Old said:

Just a second, let me get my map out!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

The answers!

1. Name the state that is the furthest south? Hawaii

2. Name the state that is the furthest north? Alaska

3. Name the state that is the furthest east?  Alaska

4. Name the state that is the furthest west? Alaska 

:ecstatic:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 1:28 PM, carlos said:

I think the international date line separates Samoa (to the West) from American Samoa (to the East). So the brothers from Samoa would be the first ones to celebrate the Memorial, followed by New Zealand, Australia, Asia, Europe, America, Western Pacific and finally, 24 hours later, the brothers in American Samoa.

Correct, I looked into this a little deeper and find both Samoas were east of the International Dateline until 2011 when the country of Samoa moved the dateline. The majority of maps I searched did not show this change  Because the Dateline zigs east just north of American Samoa, it can be crossed going north and then east to include the Republic of Kiribati. So it appears that the 179 or so publishers on Tarawa will celebrate the Memorial after sundown on March 31. On that same evening, the Brothers in American Samoa will be looking forward to sundown the following day,  March 31, at which time they will celebrate the Memorial 24 hours later than their nearest neighbor to the north. 

Now wrap your head around this:  The date of our Memorial is calculated on when the full moon can be seen in Jerusalem, which is March 31 this year, but that is the first of April on Samoa, even though our Samoan Brothers will have already celebrated the Memorial on March 30th Jerusalem time, a day before the full moon.

I guess the Jews didn't have to be concerned about islands in the Pacific when calculating the date of the Passover.

:confused: