JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What was your first Memorized Scripture?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2205 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

33 minutes ago, njwinans said:

Rejoice in the hope. Endure under tribulation. Persevere in prayer.

Paul had a very straightforward way of talking, this scripture is like a checklist of things to do..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My first was PS 83:18 and almost simultaneously Gal 5:22&23 the fruitage of the spirit. I remember someone in our Congregation having a paper tree on the wall and when we memorized a verse a leaf with our name on it and the verse went up.

I miss being a kid and having my dad (and my mom being young and healthy). Thanks for the good memories.  :wave:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Psalms 83 verse 18 was one of the first verses i remember most easily from using it so much during study, but Wen I first started truly trying to make the truth my own, I went to an Assembly (around the age of 12-14) and saw 2 Corinthians 6:2. It made an impression on me and is probably one of the most vivid scriptures still embedded in my mind. ^_^

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

On 06/03/2018 at 2:47 AM, njwinans said:

What was your first Memorized Scripture?  Mine was a weird one...

Pretty funny right?  I remember righting it on a bandaid wrapper when I was like 7.  :)

njwinans

It was long ago, hard to recall which one was the very first one but few verses comes up in my memory that I used to know by heart: 

Is. 42:8; Ps. 83:18; Mat. 24:14;29:19,20; John 17:1—3, 6,26, 13:34,35. 

P.S. You have reminded me the good old times :) 

5 hours ago, Alexa said:

Did we have bible texts without words just dash? :) I think thats my first memorized bible texts brother njwinans

There are a few just don't know where.  I'm sure someone knows.  hahaha

Edited by njwinans

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

8 hours ago, Alexa said:

Did we have bible texts without words just dash? :) I think thats my first memorized bible texts brother njwinans

Alexa! That was funny!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Matthew 24:14: "And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."

I still I’ll see a lot of our young ones memorizing it. 

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

When I was studying as a mid/late  teenager, the first scripture I memorized was John 3:16.  However, in thinking about it this week the real answer is Hebrews 11:1a. "Faith is the assured expectation of the things hoped for." My mom shared that with me. I thought it was just the definition of faith. I didn't know it was a scripture. 

Matthew 17:21;18:11; 23:14; Mark 7:16; 9:44, 46; 11:26; 15:28;Luke 17:36; 23:17; John 5:4; Acts 8:37; 15:34;24:7; 28:29; and Romans 16:24.

Easiest to memorize...  Hahaha :D

Appendix A3 NWT

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

I don't recall what ones I learned as a kid. The one that stuck with me the most as I got serious studying again as an adult was (Proverbs 14:13) "Even in laughter the heart may feel pain, And rejoicing may end in grief." Yeahhhh that's real comforting. 8-) Then I went on to (Proverbs 15:15) "All the days of the afflicted one are bad, But the one with a cheerful heart has a continual feast." followed by (Galatians 6:4, 5) "But let each one examine his own actions, and then he will have cause for rejoicing in regard to himself alone, and not in comparison with the other person. 5 For each one will carry his own load." 

I know the basic ones: Ps 83:38, Revelation 21:3,4, John 3:16, Matthew 24:14 + 28:19-20. I struggle to remember the chapter, verse, and exact words of scriptures. My head is still stuck in the reference bible too. At least I can recall the general intent and purpose of a large variety of scriptures, even if I can't find them easily? The 20 bookmarks in JW Library aren't terribly handy or nearly enough for me. q_q I use note lists or search WT Library.

Back in about 1956 I was new to the truth and we learned 4 scripture sermons .   I'm sure a few will remember them.   I boldly started with Matt 6: 9,10 then Psa 83:18 and said "many people don't know God has a name"  The lady said "of course it's Jehovah, back in Scotland one of my favourite hymns  was O thou great Jehovah.  That threw me as I didn't know what to say next.

Thankfully I learned a few things since then. 

;

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 11:05 AM, cerebral ecstasy said:

John 3:16, don't recall how old I was. 

Well,  let’s  see if we can figure this out. That was written by John around the end of the first century. That’s about 2000 years ago. What year were you born? :whistling::lol1:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

5 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Well,  let’s  see if we can figure this out. That was written by John around the end of the first century. That’s about 2000 years ago. What year were you born? :whistling::lol1:

I was born after the moon landing, but before the Challenger exploded in 86'.  I wanted to be an astronaut in 78'.  However, I'm sure I heard this scripture before 83" ;)

On 3/6/2018 at 11:40 PM, Tortuga said:

Paul had a very straightforward way of talking, this scripture is like a checklist of things to do..

Yes he did and this is why he's one of my favorite Bible writers.!!

Going through my own trial (my 14 year daughter went to sleep one day and did not wake up the following day). I'm ok- Thanks to Jehovah! I have literally seen his hands in my life. Anyhoo, my other Favorite text is also from the Apostle Paul. I visualize myself saying to Jehovah, after the 1000 years, " I have fought the fine fight, I have run the race to the finish, I have observed the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7