JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What was your first Memorized Scripture?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2183 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

What was your first Memorized Scripture?  Mine was a weird one...

Matt. 24:7 For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another.

Pretty funny right?  I remember righting it on a bandaid wrapper when I was like 7.  :)

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

Zechariah 8:23 - "This is what Jehovah of armies has said 'It will be in those days that ten men out of all the languages of the nations will take hold, yes, they will actually take hold of the skirt of a man who is a Jew saying:"We will go with you people, for we have heard [that] God is with you people"" 

This was my first bible reading in the congregation, over 30 years ago. That sentence is burned in my memory and pops into my head at random times, even today.

26 minutes ago, Sheep said:

For me it was in the same chapter at least. Matthew 24:14: "And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come." Fortunately, the rendering of that verse didn't get changed in the 2013 Revised NWT.

I think that verse stuck in my mind because I was thinking ‘Why was I never told this at school!?’

I remember our R.E. teacher saying ‘I expect the ‘miracle’ cures were all because of psychosomatic reasons.’ (I can’t word that sentence properly.)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

(Psalm 83:18) May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

44 years ago, the wording went:

(Psalm 83:18)That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,

You alone are the Most high over all the earth.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

For me it was either Matthew 7:13

Go in through the narrow gate, because broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are going in through it;

or Numbers 23:19

God is not a mere man who tells lies,

Nor a son of man who changes his mind.

When he says something, will he not do it?

When he speaks, will he not carry it out?

My first at age 4 was:

James 4:4

"Adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is making himself an enemy of God."

At 6 I had my first Bible reading. Since I didn't read so well at that age, I memorized the 50th chapter of Psalms and I can still recite it today (most of it anyway) it's funny what can stick with you through the years.

2 minutes ago, Musky said:

At 6 I had my first Bible reading. Since I didn't read so well at that age, I memorized the 50th chapter of Psalms and I can still recite it today (most of it anyway) it's funny what can stick with you through the years.

Psalm 50 was shorter back then wasn't it?

:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Had think back to the early 1950s to before mother got the Truth. Each night she would tuck me into bed and recite the hymn: "Gentle Jesus, meek and mild, Look upon a little child." by Charles Wesley. I found it comforting and, though not a Bible verse, it has stuck with me all these years.

Then when I started school the first actual scripture I can recall remembering was Matthew 6:9-13 from the old King James Version: "Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name."

Then mother got the Truth when I was 6 years old and along with my two younger brothers we would attend the Kingdom Hall. One evening when I was about eight years old, along with the middle brother, we walked to the Kingdom Hall, and I'd arranged it so he carried my Bible. When he realised he was carrying my Bible he set it down in the road and walked off saying in a loud voice: "Each one will carry his own load."

So Galatians 6:5 was his first consciously remembered scripture and it became mine too. As I grew up it reminded me to take responsibility for my own actions.

All of Psalms 23. 

Jehovah is my Shepherd.aI will lack nothing.b  In grassy pastures he makes me lie down;He leads me to well-watered resting-places.*c  He refreshes me.*dHe leads me in the paths* of righteousness for the sake of his name.e  Though I walk in the valley of deep shadow,fI fear no harm,gFor you are with me;hYour rod and your staff reassure me.*  You prepare a table for me before my enemies.iYou refresh* my head with oil;jMy cup is well-filled.k  Surely goodness and loyal love will pursue me all the days of my life,lAnd I will dwell in the house of Jehovah for all my days.m

This is the new version, which I can not remember. Like old songs, old translations are stuck in my head. 

An elder's wife took interest in me when I was young. She had me memorize this scripture, had me memorize the books of the bible, studied with me, and even defended me when necessary. She was kind to me when no one else was. She made such an impression on me that I even carried on with her hobby, and till date, it is one of my favorite things to do in my spare time. 

She has absolutely no clue what impact she has had on my life. Hope to get a chance to tell her and thank her one day. 

When my parents were studying with the witnesses in 1952,  I was going to the local Sunday School.  Our teacher had us memorize the 23rd Psalm (KJV).  If you recited it correctly you were given a new Bible (a white on for girls and a black one for boys).  I memorized the verses but I was too shy and afraid to stand up and recite them.  When I came home I was crying (I was about 5 years old).  My mother wanted to know what was wrong.  I explained the problem and she told me that if I would recite the verses to her, she would have my father get me a Bible at the Kingdom Hall.  I did recite them, she asked my father to get the Bible and he did.  At that time we were using the large, brown American Std Version printed by the Society.

When I went to Sunday school the next week I took my new Bible.  The other children made fun of me because my Bible was brown and theirs were either black or white.  Our Sunday school teacher came over to see what the problem was.  They pointed out my brown Bible.  She asked to see it and then read in it for a few moments.  Then she told the children, "It is not the color of the cover that is important.  It is the words inside."  Then the others liked me because I was 'special' with a brown Bible.  I have thanked Jehovah for that young woman and her kind words.  To this day I know the 23rd Psalm in the 'old-English' by heart.

52 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

I cannot remember my first memorized scripture, but the two that stand out to me are Psalm 83:18 and Revelation 21:3-4

Same here except it was John 17:3 and Rev 21:3-4. I remember John 5:28 and Matt 10:28 were some of my favorite scriptures when I was a kid. Romans 12:12 is one of my favorite scriptures now..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Every since I was a child, I LOVED, LOVED Rev.4:11. I learned it growing up and attending the French Congregation." Tu est digne Jehovah, de recevoir l'honneur'. that's all I know.. and of course, Proverbs 27:11.  As a grown up, both scriptures have more significance and touch me more than when I was a child.

Wow had to think about this. But 61+/- years ago Dad taught us to memorize Matt 9:9-13. He coming from a Roman Catholic  background did his best to teach us to say our prayers. So he would listen to us "pray" the Lords Prayer at bedtime.  However, around that same time we started studying and we kids were immediately taught where to find Jehovah's name and Ps. 83:18. ( I think I already knew Jehovahs name because my Grandma (Moms'  Mom) was in the truth already). We even got our own Bibles and Paradise Lost books for our bible study. Treasured memories and a grateful heart.

I was 4 years old when I started studying the Bible from the orange Paradise Lost Paradise Restored book. I was so thrilled at seeing how the the garden of Eden was so beautiful unlike the neighborhood I lived. So the earth was a big focus for me. My first scripture I remembered is the first scripture Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth”.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk