JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How Big and mind bogglingly huge is the universe?

How big is the universe? How much of it have we actually seen so far? Jehovah knows everyone of them by name?  This is why we need eternity to explore the vast unknown.

Pick up a grain of sand. Hold it out at arm's length on a clear night and note how much of the sky it covers.  Not much!

Then train the Hubble telescope on that infinitesimal speck of an area of the sky

and take a 12 day time exposure of only that area of the sky.

Below is an explanation of what was discovered

http://www.flixxy.com/hubble-ultra-deep-field-3d.htm

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

How big is the universe? How much of it have we actually seen so far? Jehovah knows everyone of them by name?  This is why we need eternity to explore the vast unknown.

Pick up a grain of sand. Hold it out at arm's length on a clear night and note how much of the sky it covers.  Not much!

Then train the Hubble telescope on that infinitesimal speck of an area of the sky

and take a 12 day time exposure of only that area of the sky.

Below is an explanation of what was discovered

http://www.flixxy.com/hubble-ultra-deep-field-3d.htm

WOW!!!    When I was a kid there were just the 7? planets and one galaxy? - I am pretty sure that is all there was :)

I am awestruck!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Edited by NW2018

This takes the expression at Gen. 1:1 to a whole new level and helps me appreciate just how special the earth is in all the universe.

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

6 hours ago, NW2018 said:

When I was a kid there were just the 7? planets and one galaxy?

I must be right behind you age wise because there were 9 planets and one galaxy when I was growing up. Lol

We love watching videos about the universe. Someone stuck one up a while ago that was about 10 minutes long. It was amazing! There I learned that there are more galaxies than ever could be imagined, along with an explanation to a hypothesis about what we know possibly being a mere drop in the bucket compared to what is actually there. 

I guess some of you are waaaaay older than me (and I am not that young) but, when I was in school there were 9 planets in this solar system and we knew we were part of the Milky Way Galaxy - however, we also knew, as was mentioned in TOS of Star Trek, that Andromeda was the nearest Galaxy to us :shrugs:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

I guess some of you are waaaaay older than me (and I am not that young) but, when I was in school there were 9 planets in this solar system and we knew we were part of the Milky Way Galaxy - however, we also knew, as was mentioned in TOS of Star Trek, that Andromeda was the nearest Galaxy to us :shrugs:

I probably am waaaaaay older LOL ...

I think this may have been when the sun still circled the earth and we may have each been personally the center of it.  Truth be told I don't remember how many planets there were - I really shoulda googled that first - or at best called a friend before submitting my reply LOL

2 hours ago, Musky said:

There were nine planets when I was in school too, but then Pluto got demoted, so there are eight now.

Borg...

Never thinking outside of the cube..

:lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic video .. it's one thing to read the facts, but a completely different thing to see it.

BTW the title of this thread reminds me of Douglas Adams: "Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.” 

On 3/26/2018 at 7:51 PM, Musky said:

There were nine planets when I was in school too, but then Pluto got demoted, so there are eight now.

Pluto got demoted to a dwarf planet. Does that mean we no longer capitalize the 'P'?

I think it is a matter of discrimination to not be inclusive of dwarfs. Little people, little planets, they both deserve our respect. :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

“The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.”  

Carl Sagan

Sagan was thinking of aliens but it does seem to make sense that if Jehovah has no purpose for all these planets and galaxies....it would be a waste of space. If there are not other beings out there now, it make sense that there will eventually be. :alien:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:51 PM, Musky said:

pluto-demoted-day.jpg.20ab216dca85575891e41552861cb5fd.jpg

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, Dove said:

In my day, he was Mickey Mouse's pet dog..

:lol1:I was looking for a good picture of the dog and planet but didn't find one that I liked...