JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Novameat’s 3D-printed ‘steak’ looks gross, but could it save the planet?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2074 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Does your mouth water at the prospect of a nice juicy steak? How about a nice juicy 3D-printed steak, made using a paste composed of vegetable-based materials like rice, peas, and seaweed? That’s what a new Spanish startup, Novameat, is working hard to bring to market.

“I developed the first 3D-printed plant-based beefsteak while I was working as a postdoc researcher in tissue engineering, and assistant professor at the UPC university in Barcelona,” founder Giuseppe Scionti told Digital Trends. “I was lucky … because this city is a great hub for both 3D printing companies and world-renowned restaurants.”

plant-based-beefsteak-zoom-720x720.jpg

54 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I developed the first 3D-printed plant-based beefsteak while I was working as a postdoc researcher in tissue engineering

Well, unless it is made from a particular variety of tomato*, it is not B E E F - regardless of what shape it is ... and, since they said "made using a paste composed of vegetable-based materials like rice, peas, and seaweed" it doesn't seem to be made from the beefsteak tomato.

If it had been shaped like a pie, a pork chop, slice of bread or a fudgesicle would he have still called it a beefsteak?  Just because it looks kind of like a beef steak does not make it one.

A beef tomato (British English) or beefsteak tomato (American English) is one of the largest varieties of cultivated tomatoes, some weighing 450 grams (1 lb) or more. Most are pink or red with numerous small seed compartments (locules) distributed throughout the fruit, sometimes displaying pronounced ribbing similar to ancient pre-Columbian tomato cultivars. While popular among home growers for beef sandwich toppings and other applications requiring a large tomato such as toppings on large steaks. Beefsteaks are not grown commercially as often as other types, since they are not considered as suitable for mechanization as smaller slicing tomatoes

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

20 hours ago, Shawnster said:

How about a nice juicy 3D-printed steak

I don't see any juice.

Maybe the juice comes out when you cook it?:unsure:

I'd be afraid to put it on the grill.  It looks like it would melt

and drip right through the grates.

Wonder if it requires refrigeration?:confused:

So many questions that I don't really want the answers to. ^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif