JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1925 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

We all know Disney movies and cartoons flirt with spiritism.

But today I came across a toy I never knew existed. Its the Disney character Pluto, wearing a wizards pointy hat, with the magic wand in his hand.

Not sure how the toy functions, but I assume it's intended to be educational. Anyway,  there are three buttons the child can choose from to answer the questions the toy asks; a YES button, a No button, and believe it or not, a Read Mind button !!!

Seriously. This toy is nothing less than a ouija board for toddlers. Disgusting !

In the Original Story, Pinocchio killed Jiminy Cricket, Got His Feet Burnt Off, and was Hanged and Left for Dead; Also Sleeping Beauty was raped by a married KIng,

www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/03/original-story-pinocchio-killed-jiminy-cricket-got-feet-burnt-hanged-assassin

Edited by kejedo

I used to sing Rock A Bye Baby to my kids and remember the line ‘when the bough breaks the cradle will fall and down will come cradle, baby and all’. Baby hurt or killed.  

Didn’t give it a thought at the time..😪

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

5 hours ago, Dove said:

I used to sing Rock A Bye Baby to my kids and remember the line ‘when the bough breaks the cradle will fall and down will come cradle, baby and all’. Baby hurt or killed.  

Johnny Standley would agree with you ... he caught onto that nursery rhyme too.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

After some research, I have come to the conclusion that you must mean "Quizard the Learning Wizard" which is neither DISNEY nor Pluto but from Fisher Price.

Based on the ad, what it does is it reads a simple bar-code on a card and then quizzes children about elements pertaining to the animal or object on the card, which we understand is just technology but a little kid will think is "magic"

So, even though it's true this toy uses elements like fairy-tale magic and enchantment to develop a child's fascination in scientific subjects, to compare it to an Ouija board is quite a bit extreme in my opinion, since an Ouija board actually channels demonic entities.

Edited by ChocoBro

WIZARD  (dictionary)

"possessing or using or characteristic of or appropriate to supernatural powers."

Chapter 16 of our "Remain in God's Love" book relates how Satan tries to trick humans.

11...Question...Where could curiosity about the supernatural lead us?

11 "Satan knows that if we are attracted to the supernatural, it will be easy for him to draw us into demonism. Any form of demonism would destroy our relationship with Jehovah."

Especially toys for children can appeal to their curiosity. Remember the video about Caleb bringing home a toy such as described here? Jehovah lovingly gives us guidance!💓

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

12 hours ago, Dove said:

Yes that’s how I remembered that rhyme when my girls were babies, but now when I put the nursery rhymes on for my grandson, they have changed the lyrics to ‘....and mamma will catch you, baby & all.’ I guess a lot of mummy’s didn’t like that last sentence! 😉

55 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

Especially toys for children can appeal to their curiosity. Remember the video about Caleb bringing home a toy such as described here? Jehovah lovingly gives us guidance!💓

This is true. It's still not Disney, and it's still not an Ouija board.

1 hour ago, Jothob said:

Yes that’s how I remembered that rhyme when my girls were babies, but now when I put the nursery rhymes on for my grandson, they have changed the lyrics to ‘....and mamma will catch you, baby & all.’ I guess a lot of mummy’s didn’t like that last sentence! 😉

I didn't know that..thanks for sharing..:)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:12 AM, Jonathan77 said:

Pluto is Mickey Mouse pet dog.  (a mouse with a pet dog!)  The one you saw must have been from the Fantasia movie.  The Pluto character from the cartoons is harmless.

Goofy is also a dog. Unusual blend of nature. I never watched Fantasia.

On 12/9/2018 at 4:41 AM, ChocoBro said:

After some research, I have come to the conclusion that you must mean "Quizard the Learning Wizard" which is neither DISNEY nor Pluto but from Fisher Price.

Based on the ad, what it does is it reads a simple bar-code on a card and then quizzes children about elements pertaining to the animal or object on the card, which we understand is just technology but a little kid will think is "magic"

So, even though it's true this toy uses elements like fairy-tale magic and enchantment to develop a child's fascination in scientific subjects, to compare it to an Ouija board is quite a bit extreme in my opinion, since an Ouija board actually channels demonic entities.

The two primary toy manufacturers are Hasbro and Fisher Price. Disney doesn't make toys, but they do trademark toys. So, their toys will likely be made by Hasbro OR Fisher Price.

I can't confirm this toy is Disney. I don't see Disney's TM anywhere on it.

However, the character strongly suggests the Disney character Pluto and the wizard costume from Fantasia.

The 2 to 4 years old in the commercial don't give a hoot if it's a genuine Disney toy or some knockoff.  To create a child's toy that leads them into the world of mind reading is disgusting.  Later , will they be less likely, or more likely, to be entertained with horoscopes,  psychics ,  guardian angels, their lucky number, fortune tellers , omens , fate , destiny ,  magic and / or the ouija board ??

We know the ouija board is directly associated with the demons. However, we can remind ourselves it's a GAME, currently produced by Hasbro.

So, these games and toys may come to us from Fisher Price or Hasbro, and they are ostensibly 'for entertainment purposes only ', but we know better.  Don't we ?

On 12/12/2018 at 5:14 AM, Doug said:

To create a child's toy that leads them into the world of mind reading is disgusting. 

I understand many Christians are put off by the wizzard dress and the crystal ball. I am not questioning that. But I think it's a bit exaggerated to compare this to a Ouija board or a demonic practice of mind reading.

This toy comes with a deck of cards with questions about different animals. The toy asks a question and the child answers. Then there's the mind reader modality which is the same game but reversed. You pick a card and the toy asks you questions about it until it tells you which card it is. It's exactly the same as playing Cluedo o Who's Who (is he a man? does he have curly hair? does he wear glasses? It's John!).

Again, I repeat that I understand why many Christians would prefer to avoid the magician imagery. But in no way can this be called a Ouija board. It's simply not fair. The game itself doesn't have anything demonic, just educational.

On 12/17/2018 at 4:20 AM, carlos said:

The game itself doesn't have anything demonic, just educational.

Interesting.

The FDS  has used an illustration of a piece of candy (lollipop) lying in the gutter.

Nothing wrong about candy. So, would you pick up the one from the gutter and eat it ?

Same principle here. Quizard the Wizard is educational and, therefore, harmless??

18 minutes ago, Doug said:

Interesting.

The FDS  has used an illustration of a piece of candy (lollipop) lying in the gutter.

Nothing wrong about candy. So, would you pick up the one from the gutter and eat it ?

Same principle here. Quizard the Wizard is educational and, therefore, harmless??

You don't understand. Nobody is arguing with you and telling you it is harmless. Carlos and I are just saying that it does not seem reasonable to draw a direct comparison to the summoning of demons.

To give you a comparison:
A man shoots another man on a bloody battlefield.

A gamer shoots another gamer in a violent video-game.
Are the two somehow related? Yes.

Is it the same thing? No.
Does that mean violent video-games are okay? Also, no.

Edited by ChocoBro

Micky Mouse comics feature two dogs. One, Goofy, is somewhat of a clown but a cartoon person, he speaks. The other is Pluto, he is just a dog and never speaks, just barks. If this toy speaks it is not based on Pluto. 

On the other hand, this is one of the neater electronic toys, IMHO. (In the wings waiting to be slashed and stabbed. :D)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Doug said:

Doug, I think you have misunderstood me. :) I am not saying it's educational and therefore harmless. The first thing I said is that the wizard imagery will logically put off many Christians. I'm not promoting this toy or saying it's ok. That's something every parent should decide for his own family. But this game doesn't have absolutely anything to do with mind reading. Comparing this toy to a Ouija table is completely over the top. It's a dog that asks questions about animals.

If someone says they don't watch Mary Poppins because there's some magic in it, I absolutely respect their opinion. But if they say that movie is an orgy of demonism and sorcery and watching it is the same as joining a session of spiritism, I respectfully disagree.

The Scriptures say we must be known for our reasonableness, and also that every Christian must be guided by his own conscience. So in situations like this I think it's better to point to the specific thing that makes us reject it ("I don't like the idea of a magician and a crystal ball, I think it's a way of making occultism attractive") than radically condemning the toy comparing it to something it's not. Not saying necessarily that you did this. I just found the allusions to the Ouija board exaggerated. I'm sure you agree with me and this was just a misunderstanding. :)

Edited by carlos