JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2 American Mormons detained in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1874 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Moscow (CNN)Two US citizens have been detained in the southern Russian city of Novorossiysk, the Russian Foreign Ministry told CNN on Wednesday.

"We can confirm information about the detention of a few US citizens," Maria Zakharova said in response to a question about reports of the detention of two members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/06/europe/us-citizens-detained-russia-intl/index.html

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Yes, but as far as I know he was not tortured. That means he is treated differently.

Most arrested Russians were not tortured either. We’ll see about the legal outcome of the cases where the brothers were tortured. If signals come from Kremlin that it’s alright, then we might see it more widely used.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 3/7/2019 at 7:24 AM, Thesauron said:

Most arrested Russians were not tortured either. We’ll see about the legal outcome of the cases where the brothers were tortured. If signals come from Kremlin that it’s alright, then we might see it more widely used.

Sorry, but

I'm not speaking about future, I'm speaking about past. Russian citizens were tortured, foreigner - was not.

I'm also not speaking about quantity.  I'm speaking about simple fact that they are treated diffetently.

That's it.

"Absolute rubbish”

3 hours ago, campanula said:

Sorry, but

I'm not speaking about future, I'm speaking about past. Russian citizens were tortured, foreigner - was not.

I'm also not speaking about quantity.  I'm speaking about simple fact that they are treated diffetently.

That's it.

That's true, in most dictatorial countries foreigners are treated differently to save face with the international community. That's why it's surprising what the Russian authorities are doing with brother Christensen. The usual thing would have been to deport him.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:21 PM, Lee49 said:

Well at least they can call home more than twice per year under their new rules for missionaries! The old rule only allowed  them 2 calls home/yr.😉

Best make it good in that situation then! Russia will only offer the 50/50 after that "renounce or have persecution".

Edited by EccentricM

12 hours ago, carlos said:

That's why it's surprising what the Russian authorities are doing with brother Christensen. The usual thing would have been to deport him.

Perhaps it's all to do with prophecy, and really living up to being the King of the North, to cause friction with the South and its associates.

Idk if I mentioned it here, but I always tell people ""Christian groups are kicking themselves in the heel by not caring about the persecution of the Witnesses!" I guess they think they're being freed from something, but when Jehovah's Witnesses lose their human rights and are persucuted, other groups aren't to far to follow.

Idk if I mentioned it here, but I always tell people ""Christian groups are kicking themselves in the heel by not caring about the persecution of the Witnesses!" I guess they think they're being freed from something, but when Jehovah's Witnesses lose their human rights and are persucuted, other groups aren't to far to follow.

As I mentioned before, the brothers are a litmus test when it comes to the state of human rights in an area...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 3/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, carlos said:

That's true, in most dictatorial countries foreigners are treated differently to save face with the international community. That's why it's surprising what the Russian authorities are doing with brother Christensen. The usual thing would have been to deport him.

I think they cannot deport him while the criminal proceedings are under way. The charges against are serious and if he got deported, that would encourage other foreign "extremists" to come, especially the real ones with bombs. :) 

The two Mormons will be deported. 

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-deport-us-mormons-novorossiisk/29810041.html