JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Another religious hate crime shooting

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1804 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A Synagogue was targeted outside San Diego. 1 dead. Interesting line of talk from reporters about minority religions 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/four-shot-injured-southern-california-synagogue-n999191

Edited by Shawnster

45 minutes ago, Margaret said:

I was considering the fact that now they are saying no religion is safe in the USA, that all need to increase their security measures.

And it is certainly happening,  even here among our local brotherhood where we have no problems, the elders have instituted programs under the direction from the Branch that for the moment seem over blown, but many of us see the writing on the wall and we are making great effort in adopting safety/protection programs that would have seen as laughable 5 years ago. Fore warned is fore armed when it comes to protecting our brothers.

In times past attendants were mostly to help late ones find seats and take the count, they are now the frontline when it comes to protecting our Christian Family.  :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

5 hours ago, Old said:

And it is certainly happening,  even here among our local brotherhood where we have no problems, the elders have instituted programs under the direction from the Branch that for the moment seem over blown, but many of us see the writing on the wall and we are making great effort in adopting safety/protection programs that would have seen as laughable 5 years ago. Fore warned is fore armed when it comes to protecting our brothers.

In times past attendants were mostly to help late ones find seats and take the count, they are now the frontline when it comes to protecting our Christian Family.  :)

Locking doors during meetings is implemented around the world. I beleive this rule was made about a year ago. Jehovah wants his people protected.

I hoped that the locked doors are password enabled to allow brothers unhindered access while meetings are in session. And also a phone number to call in case new ones want to attend the meetings. Presently in my country, the doors have never been locked during meeting times but in 1 case, the Kingdom Hall shared an office block where the downstairs gate can be accessed using a password. Most times when the brothers are in, they don't close that gate. Must get some feedback about how things are done in other countries with regard to security issues. 

Thank you for sharing the information. 

w19 February pp. 14-19

Edited by M'Awan

3 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

I hoped that the locked doors are password enabled to allow brothers unhindered access while meetings are in session. And also a phone number to call in case new ones want to attend the meetings. 

There are clear procedures from the Branch that are being implemented at the KHs and AHs.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 4/28/2019 at 1:25 AM, campanula said:

But, I'm afraid there is not much they can do....😣

Really though the deterrent effect of a man in a suit standing or seated at the door is actually very good. WE know how humble , loving, and restrained our Brother actually is. But to the world all they see is “ a Security guard”.

On 4/27/2019 at 11:57 PM, Old said:

The hall I grew up in had 2 brothers on the front door and 2 brothers patrolling the parking lot. Lots of vandalism and crime in the area back in the late 70's early 80's.

At my hall in Flatbush Brooklyn in the late 80's we locked the inside door but left the outer door unlocked. I was one of the attendants and while we didn't have any special instruction as is given now it got weird sometimes in the winter when a homeless person wanted to come in and get warm.

But it sure is a sign of the times where all religious places are taking similar measures.

Edited by Leon J

further info

On 4/28/2019 at 3:55 AM, Dustparticle said:

Locking doors during meetings is implemented around the world. I beleive this rule was made about a year ago. Jehovah wants his people protected.

Our direction came from the US Branch. Not from the Christian Congregation, which would indicate a world wide program.

Letter July 16, 2018, "TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS IN THE UNITED STATES BRANCH TERRITORY"

So if many of our members find this unfamiliar it may be different in their country. Any members from other countries care to comment on  implementation of security measures in their area?:)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 hours ago, Old said:

Our direction came from the US Branch. Not from the Christian Congregation, which would indicate a world wide program.

Letter July 16, 2018, "TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS IN THE UNITED STATES BRANCH TERRITORY"

So if many of our members find this unfamiliar it may be different in their country. Any members from other countries care to comment on  implementation of security measures in their area?:)

It has reached the Philippines according to my brother who serves as MS. But no locking at the door yet. 

Locking the doors during meeting is optional in our area, but in other areas they've implemented key fobs that the friends have to tap on the door to unlock it.

We have also installed security cameras and a monitor at the entrance, so the entrance attendant can keep an eye on things.

It also has a DVR to record when there is movement, as we have had some vandalism lately.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not where we live. In fact when I have asked the elders if we can lock the doors the answer was no because of fire regulations.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Fiona said:

Not where we live. In fact when I have asked the elders if we can lock the doors the answer was no because of fire regulations.

Do you live in Australia? Checking Building Codes of Australia I see that exiting hardware is required on all exit doors, this allows egress when locked but does not allow entry. Your elder may be mistaken on the ability to lock doors against entry. It is against the Australian Building Code to secure a door against exit.

For all Kingdom Halls in the United States panic bars are required for all exits. They can be locked against entry but always allow free exiting.

2 hours ago, Fiona said:

I don't know what the correct term is, but we have doors that can always be opened from the inside, even when locked.  This is for fire code regulations.

We started locking the door I think late last year.  We implemented the new safety regulations directed from the Branch.

Doors are locked about 10 or 15 minutes after the start of the meeting.  The doors remain locked after that, even after the meeting.

Doors will always remain locked for small groups like meeting for field service or elder's meeting.

Attendants are to watch those who leave during the meeting to make sure they get to their car safely.

Parking Lot examined during meeting.  During daylight hours the attendant can remain inside and look through the window at the parking lot.  After dark 2 brothers will go out and patrol the parking lot.

2 Attendants on duty during the meeting.  1 stationed at the door and one inside the main auditorium.  They are to arrive 30 minutes before meeting start and stay 30 minutes after or, on Sunday, when they are relieved by the attendants from the next congregation who has the meeting.

35 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I don't know what the correct term is, but we have doors that can always be opened from the inside, even when locked.  This is for fire code regulations.

We started locking the door I think late last year.  We implemented the new safety regulations directed from the Branch.

Doors are locked about 10 or 15 minutes after the start of the meeting.  The doors remain locked after that, even after the meeting.

Doors will always remain locked for small groups like meeting for field service or elder's meeting.

Attendants are to watch those who leave during the meeting to make sure they get to their car safely.

Parking Lot examined during meeting.  During daylight hours the attendant can remain inside and look through the window at the parking lot.  After dark 2 brothers will go out and patrol the parking lot.

2 Attendants on duty during the meeting.  1 stationed at the door and one inside the main auditorium.  They are to arrive 30 minutes before meeting start and stay 30 minutes after or, on Sunday, when they are relieved by the attendants from the next congregation who has the meeting.

My brother is an MS and he read that letter last year too.. However , I think it wasn't yet implemented here. 

On 4/29/2019 at 12:42 PM, BenJepthah said:

Really though the deterrent effect of a man in a suit standing or seated at the door is actually very good. WE know how humble , loving, and restrained our Brother actually is. But to the world all they see is “ a Security guard”.

Really though at our KH all they see is a man in a suit with an ATTENDANT badge hanging around his neck so no real "security guard" look, a real easy target for anyone with a weapon, not much more we can do except keep the doors locked and hope the "ATTENDANT" ask questions before allowing any stranger in! 😐

Apparently here they when they re-did the KH they replaced the glass. The door windows are apparently now bullet proof. Anyone elses do that?

Edited by Nirex

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

1 hour ago, Nirex said:

Apparently here they when they re-did the KH they replaced the glass. The door windows are apparently now bullet proof. Anyone elses do that?

That's a great idea, our hall was remodeled about 12 years  ago, we still don't have security cameras despite several brothers owning their own business in security alarms, but it's up to the RBC to decide that, 2 brothers walk the parking lot twice, once for each meeting, at night we have flashlights  that don't really shine like a flood light , there more for directing traffic, we do what we can, a lot of shooting crimes going on here in middle Tennessee,  more so around Nashville but escalating everywhere! 

2 hours ago, Lee49 said:

but it's up to the RBC to decide that,

You might be waiting a long time for the RBC. Hopefully the LDC will be able to help..:lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D