JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

win 10 May 2019 available now

2 hours ago, pnutts said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/?fbclid=IwAR0_vtnUvlFyjijoeGGhG-uLkq2HSqf07LqsgA1UkSGcS50GZ8_0Wuqir-s

Here it is.  May 2019 win 10 ( 1903/19H1 ).  I had already put it on my old, old, old laptop.

Do you have any pros or cons on 1903/19H1?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I still have Windows 7 on my older desktop. I bought a new SSD for it but does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade to Windows 10 for free or a discounted price even thought the deadline past a long time ago? I agree with Regina, I wish they would keep support for Windows 7. 

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

17 hours ago, Old said:

Do you have any pros or cons on 1903/19H1?

Pros - it allows you to Uninstall some of the bloatware. You can also delay updates. Con - on my laptop - one program won't work but works on my tower.

12 hours ago, jwhess said:

I have Windows 10 Pro and this is a different number.

19 = the year.   03 ( March when OS was basically finalized with bug fixes coming before release in April or May.  H1 - 1st half of year release

16 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

if there is a way to upgrade to Windows 10 for free

If you ever had win 10 then digital license is tied in with your M$ live account -Hotmail - outlook, etc. maybe even xbox

I have heard a few managed to update from 7 even after the cut off date. Be aware though, 7 home would update to 10 home & 7 pro to 10 pro or less. You can not get a higher version from a lower version, however you can dumb down from a higher version.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

For those wanting to upgrade, here’s basically the deal. If you have Windows 7 Home and you upgrade to Windows 10 Home, then it’s free and your key should be saved in 

BIOS. However if you want to go from say Win7 Home to Win10 Pro or something you need to buy a key. You can only upgrade to the version you had or the BIOS key won’t match.

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

I updated my old laptop by using a digitally signed key - my other hotmail account, which I had used on another computer at one time.  The question was " for Free '

I play around a lot on various computers that come my way - just to see what OS they will run.

Thus I have a 2nd digital key from my 2nd hotmail account that allows me to test various computers with win 10 both 32 & 64 bit. Both work fine.

Edited by pnutts

2 minutes ago, pnutts said:

I updated my old laptop by using a digitally signed key - my other hotmail account, which I had used on another computer at one time.  The question was " for Free '

Yeah as long as it’s the same version then it’s free because it uses hardware activation.

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

My laptop shipped with Windows 10 home so I bought a Windows 10 Pro license key on Amazon for $10. Then I did the "in place" upgrade from Home to Pro and entered that license key when prompted. MS accepted the key no problem and upgraded me to Windows 10 Pro.

This was a legitimate and legal license key because it is only used for one system, mine. The person I bought the key from recycles hundreds of computer systems for big corporations.

I this upgrade in the OP already available? I run Windows Update regularly, but no upgrade to 1903 comes up. I'm new to Windows 10, and I don't know how these upgrades work.

I agree with a couple of people above. I'd much rather keep Windows 7. It's my hands-down favourite!

You can download update manually using windows media tool ( easiest ). I make an .iso file then burn it. If you only have 4.5Gb disks then only download 32 Or 64 bit

not the both on one disk method.  Putting it on an USB drive will only work for clean install - not update, although being on a virtual dvd drive may work.

The Windows update download method is being rolled out slowly.

After you do an update and everything is working fine, then do a C:/ drive clean up.Do the system cleanup  

right click on c drive  -open properties -click disk cleanup - wait for it to populate the click on cleanup system files. Check all boxes.image.png.b266ff2042190fdec59aef54f57a0da8.png

image.thumb.png.162f15af9164eb943bf9bde38562c6b7.png

Edited by pnutts

16 hours ago, pnutts said:

After you do an update and everything is working fine, then do a C:/ drive clean up.Do the system cleanup  

right click on c drive  -open properties -click disk cleanup - wait for it to populate the click on cleanup system files. Check all boxes.

Does this get rid of the windows.old folder too?

It should. Or at least it used too. It will remove contents which will save several gigabytes of room on c drive.

Don't forget to defrag, optimize c drive afterwards.

Edited by pnutts

auto correct

Apparently you Don't have to activate win 10 but...not everything will work  see most of article from Majorgeeks below no pic  Buying cheap keys - buyer beware.

Do Cheap Windows 10 Keys Really Work?
If you need to buy a Windows 10 license, you've probably come across websites that are selling what they claim are legitimate Windows 10 keys, sometimes as cheap as $20. How do they sell these keys so cheaply, or is this a scam?
... yes, no, and maybe. ...
The problem with a cheaper license key is where it came from, and you're not going to know - until it's too late. ...
Microsoft has changed how you activate with Windows 10. You can install Windows 10 without activating and even get the latest updates, but you can't customize many parts of Windows, including most of the Personalization section. If you can live with this, then why bother buying a key at all? We use Windows 10 without activation in all of our YouTube videos in VMware, and you'll never notice.
....   Purchasing keys from a website you've never heard if is the one we'd avoid at all costs - literally.
We have to single out eBay because every time you search for a product key, they show up, and often with the lowest prices. These product keys could come from any of the scenarios mentioned below.
For the sake of this article, we purchased a $3.72 license on eBay, received the key within minutes and instructions that the product key must be used on a clean install. More of this in a bit.
We expect this product key will last months, maybe even a year before being deactivated and useless.

One of the biggest flags that a product key was not obtained legally is that your shiny new key must be used on a clean install only. This limitation will make more sense as we take a look at where that cheap product key could have come from.

Volume License Keys

Volume licensing is when anyone needs hundreds, even thousands of Windows licenses and purchases a single product key for all their computers. You will see this with Government, school, and large corporations, to name a few. Someone could sell that product key hundreds of times, and at some point, Microsoft might terminate that volume license, and your working key is now invalid.

Education Keys
Some people can purchase Education keys and sell them at a higher price. Easy money for them.
Other Countries
In some cases, your key could come from another country where prices are lower. There's a good chance this product key will last, and while this isn't legitimate, it's one of the better possible scenarios.
Expired or Illegitimate Keys
You might just be purchasing a product key that has expired or never existed. By the time you realize it, you're now contacting your credit card company over three bucks and someone in another country, where three dollars can be worth much more, has got your money.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:59 PM, pnutts said:

right click on c drive  -open properties -click disk cleanup - wait for it to populate the click on cleanup system files. Check all boxes.

Check all boxes.  Be careful with that one.  You will be deleting files in your "Downloads" folder.  If there all things in that folder you want to keep, uncheck "Downloads"

29 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

If there all things in that folder you want to keep, uncheck "Downloads"

I never download to user xxxx downloads. I make a separate download folder such as Downloads-C on my c drive. That way I don't have that problem. I do have a couple of programs that prefer just downloads, thus I made a folder on c drive for that too.

image.png.1be08aae6cc6ccb33a34b4a98a9e1f47.png

Edited by pnutts

Windows 10 2020 1st half released to fast ring.

May 29, 2019 10:02 am
Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18908
By Dona Sarkar and Brandon LeBlanc    
Hello Windows Insiders, today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18908 (20H1) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.
IMPORTANT: As is normal with builds early in the development cycle, these builds may contain bugs that might be painful for some. ...

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/05/29/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18908/

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2019 at 12:51 AM, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I still have Windows 7 on my older desktop. I bought a new SSD for it but does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade to Windows 10 for free or a discounted price even thought the deadline past a long time ago?

Hi Bro Neil .. Yes you can still do it for free.. Did a couple earlier this year.. Legitimately of course. 

https://www.techsupportall.com/upgrade-windows-7-to-windows-10-for-free-even-in-2018/

Try it out. 👍 

On 5/22/2019 at 12:51 AM, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Of you have an old pc the upgrades usually fail the pre flight check with some error code that most do not understand. Usually it is the graphics card that it not up to spec. 

I have a Dell that has XP on it. I put win7 on. It was fine. Later I got a notice for the upgrade to 10. It failed. I disabled on board graphics and bought a £30  PCexpress video card. No problem! It's running vs 1903 of Win 10 too! 

I run both Windows7 on desktop PC, and windows 10 on HP laptop

Wish there was an extended life for 7...:scooter:

Windows 10? hmmm it's ok, although I prefer Windows 7

Modern version of Windows 7 would rock! :blues-bros

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 5/28/2019 at 1:37 PM, Jonathan77 said:

Check all boxes.  Be careful with that one.  You will be deleting files in your "Downloads" folder.  If there all things in that folder you want to keep, uncheck "Downloads"

Br. Jonathan, my downloads folder remained and the files and folders in it stayed also.  I am running Windows 10-Pro.  The upgrade changed the Downloads folder structure.  It separates all of the existing files and folders by dates now.  I can't seem to get the old style with folders at the top and files underneath (or vice-versa).