JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Geoffrey W. Jackson: “Do All Things for God’s Glory” (1 Cor. 10:31)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1683 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A brother from another area was visiting on Sunday and he wore a very bright orangy pink shirt. Had to tease him

saying it would make a nice long load flag fro my pickup.

The told him back in the 70's an elder came to meeting wearing a coloured shirt - 1st time ever done in our Paris, ON congregation ( which ceased to exist Sept 1st )

Just thought about it - it took 45 + years for the white shirt policy to be disciplined in that congregation

What I mean is, would wearing white shirts work better in the territory, then that’s what we’ll wear. If it’s required by law, then that’s what we’ll wear. Not because some or a few think it’s the only suitable way of dressing. We might have all sorts of personal tastes.

In some areas, you can wear a bright red costume on the assembly platform. In other areas, it just wouldn’t work. It would draw too much attention away from what’s being said, and your CO would kindly ask you to change. Love for our brothers and for those listening to us will make us comply despite our own tastes in grooming.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Flat caps in Russian-speaking countries are often associated with criminals, sportmen-turned-gangsters and chavs, but they are also worn by some elderly men. I guess a lot depends on the style of the cap. I used to have a cloth and a leather one in my teens. :) That is probably because I lived in an area full of shady young sportsmen. Flat caps were quite trendy in the 1990s.  

Below are Russian chavs. When I saw Br. Geoffrey, I immediately thought of such men. 

Screenshot_2019-09-26_02-12-16.png.8597993034703be3a8ba3ee73e79296a.png

Edited by Bek

1 minute ago, Thesauron said:

What I mean is, would wearing white shirts work better in the territory, then that’s what we’ll wear. If it’s required by law, then that’s what we’ll wear. Not because some or a few think it’s the only suitable way of dressing. We might have all sorts of personal tastes.

In some areas, you can wear a bright red costume on the assembly platform. In other areas, it just wouldn’t work. It would draw too much attention away from what’s being said, and your CO will kindly ask you to change. Love for our brothers and for those listening to us will make us comply despite our own tastes in grooming.

I agree with all you have said . Butvtheir is something that is being missed ( probably because you are not in the US). In the US it is generally the case that the BOE does not decide these matters based upon what is accepted in the local area. They also follow those taking the lead. Usually the Branch. They ( the Branch) in turn follows what happens on the Broadcasts. So, although we may live in a territory in which the vast Majority across all economic and social classes may find it completely fine to wear ( a hat ) the local Elders will not generally be so bold as to make the determination that this is acceptable.  I believe this is a local phenomenon unique to the US due to the physical proximity to The World Headquarters.   for a number of reasons ( many of which you have mentioned) the Governing body takes the most restrictive personal dress and grooming standards as their practice ( their territory is global).  

I agree with all you have said . Butvtheir is something that is being missed ( probably because you are not in the US). In the US it is generally the case that the BOE does not decide these matters based upon what is accepted in the local area. They also follow those taking the lead. Usually the Branch. They ( the Branch) in turn follows what happens on the Broadcasts. So, although we may live in a territory in which the vast Majority across all economic and social classes may find it completely fine to wear ( a hat ) the local Elders will not generally be so bold as to make the determination that this is acceptable.  I believe this is a local phenomenon unique to the US due to the physical proximity to The World Headquarters.   for a number of reasons ( many of which you have mentioned) the Governing body takes the most restrictive personal dress and grooming standards as their practice ( their territory is global).  

The BoE has a responsibility wherever they are on earth to know their territory and make needed adjustments to be better able to reach local hearts. The branch, in turn, has a responsibility to know their entire territory, which might span several countries. They do look to the GB for guidance when it comes to principles. This is not to be confused with ‘bethel standards’, which governs how their own staff ought to dress and groom. As for the US., I am certain you will find differences in the way people dress in New York compared to Los Angeles or some countryside congregation in the middle of nowhere, or Detroit compared to San Diego. A lot has to do with local culture, climate, etc. Do bethelites in New York wear thick jackets in wintertime in the ministry? Yes, and possibly even gloves and a hat, otherwise you’d freeze and be considered a nutcase. Do people in El Paso wear the same in wintertime? Probably not.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

This topic is very intersting. Is it really down to our local custom if wear a hat or not in the ministry?

1 Co 11:4 Every man who prays or prophesies with something on his head shames his head; but every woman who prays or prophesiesf with her head uncovered shames her head, for it is one and the same as if she were a woman with a shaved head. For if a woman does not cover herself, she should have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or shaved, she should be covered.

For a man should not have his head covered, as he is God’s imageg and glory, but the woman is man’s glory.

What do you think about that verse?

7 minutes ago, tarcamion said:

This topic is very intersting. Is it really down to our local custom if wear a hat or not in the ministry?

1 Co 11:4 Every man who prays or prophesies with something on his head shames his head; but every woman who prays or prophesiesf with her head uncovered shames her head, for it is one and the same as if she were a woman with a shaved head. For if a woman does not cover herself, she should have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or shaved, she should be covered.

For a man should not have his head covered, as he is God’s imageg and glory, but the woman is man’s glory.

What do you think about that verse?

I uncover when delivering a prayer in a formal setting. such as meetings, sick bedside, sheperding and family meals. 

For a balanced application this article covers all aspects of the topic: 

*** w77 2/15 pp. 125-128 Should You Cover Your Head During Prayer? ***
Should You Cover Your Head During Prayer?
IT WAS a cold, windy day when the friends of the deceased widow stood in the snow around the open grave. The balding minister offered some brief, comforting words and then prayed.
Had you been there, would you have felt that during the prayer all present should remove anything covering their heads? The question might be especially pertinent in such wintry weather. But, really, do you feel that whenever you pray you should uncover your head? Or, might you believe that during prayer you definitely should have your head covered?
Prayer is important. God wants us to pray. (Ps. 145:18; 50:14, 15) Understandably, ours should be proper prayers, offered to the right One, on fitting matters and in the correct manner. While the Bible does not list endless rules about prayer and praying, it does offer specific counsel about having one’s head covered when one is praying.
That counsel is not in the pre-Christian Scriptures, for God did not require that all Israelites cover their heads when praying, though some may have done so out of reverence. He did, however, direct the Israelite priests to wear headgear, the high priest even having a special turban. (Lev. 8:13; Ex. 28:40; 39:27-29) They evidently wore head coverings as a sign of submission to God all the time that they were serving at the temple, not just when praying.

... [See full article]
How fine it is that, without setting down an encyclopedia of rules, Jehovah has provided in his Word some guidance about prayer! By having this in mind we can approach the Supreme One of the universe and at the same time manifest our respect for one of his fundamental principles, that of headship.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 minutes ago, Old said:

I uncover when delivering a prayer in a formal setting. such as meetings, sick bedside, sheperding and family meals. 

For a balanced application this article covers all aspects of the topic: 

*** w77 2/15 pp. 125-128 Should You Cover Your Head During Prayer? ***
Should You Cover Your Head During Prayer?
IT WAS a cold, windy day when the friends of the deceased widow stood in the snow around the open grave. The balding minister offered some brief, comforting words and then prayed.
Had you been there, would you have felt that during the prayer all present should remove anything covering their heads? The question might be especially pertinent in such wintry weather. But, really, do you feel that whenever you pray you should uncover your head? Or, might you believe that during prayer you definitely should have your head covered?
Prayer is important. God wants us to pray. (Ps. 145:18; 50:14, 15) Understandably, ours should be proper prayers, offered to the right One, on fitting matters and in the correct manner. While the Bible does not list endless rules about prayer and praying, it does offer specific counsel about having one’s head covered when one is praying.
That counsel is not in the pre-Christian Scriptures, for God did not require that all Israelites cover their heads when praying, though some may have done so out of reverence. He did, however, direct the Israelite priests to wear headgear, the high priest even having a special turban. (Lev. 8:13; Ex. 28:40; 39:27-29) They evidently wore head coverings as a sign of submission to God all the time that they were serving at the temple, not just when praying.

... [See full article]
How fine it is that, without setting down an encyclopedia of rules, Jehovah has provided in his Word some guidance about prayer! By having this in mind we can approach the Supreme One of the universe and at the same time manifest our respect for one of his fundamental principles, that of headship.

I am sorry, Jerry but I don't quite get that text. This blurry explanation vs very clear message from the Bible. Could you elaborate, please?

1 minute ago, tarcamion said:

I am sorry, Jerry but I don't quite get that text. This blurry explanation vs very clear message from the Bible. Could you elaborate, please?

I expressed what I thought in the first sentence.

Blury explanation???

You are a very fast reader if you read the entire article and digested it in the brief time since I posted. The article elaborates on those verses. Do you want me to PM the whole article?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

My brother , who recently died faithfully refusing transfusion, had some who questioned his love for Jehovah on this basis alone

Very sorry for your loss, we all feel it but Jehovah will reward his faithful stand. May we all be as strong as your/our Brother was....:snoring:

12 minutes ago, Old said:

I expressed what I thought in the first sentence.

Blury explanation???

You are a very fast reader if you read the entire article and digested it in the brief time since I posted. The article elaborates on those verses. Do you want me to PM the whole article?

I know that article. I thought that you answered me by quoting that text. Anyway, I was rather referring to prophesying in the maning of preaching. I am genuinly curious because I do not cover my head when preaching - I mean I remove my hat when speaking to some at the door. I understand that verse literally.

14 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Very sorry for your loss, we all feel it but Jehovah will reward his faithful stand. May we all be as strong as your/our Brother was....:snoring:

Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, tarcamion said:

I know that article. I thought that you answered me by quoting that text. Anyway, I was rather referring to prophesying in the maning of preaching. I am genuinly curious because I do not cover my head when preaching - I mean I remove my hat when speaking to some at the door. I understand that verse literally.

I suspect you and I and Old have the same understanding. 

9 minutes ago, tarcamion said:

Good for you, I hadn't given it much thought since I never wore a hat before moving to here. Here it is typicall windy, rainy or both. If one is beyond having a full head of hair the brothers were hats. I take mine off when invited in. It would be a distraction to remove it when still outside. Very few homes have adequate porches. :)

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

When thinking about the "norm" do we consider the adaptations, variations or deviations?

I thought I would enhance this comment with pictures.  Since we were talking about hats...here are some.

#1 might be a "normal" hat in your culture or area for someone in the field ministry.

#2 might be an "adaptation"  of a hat based on season or climate in the same area (but acceptable for service).

#3 might be a "variation" of the hat (in this case a cap) that still would be approved for door-to-door ministers.

#4 might be a "deviation" from the norm in that same area or culture.  It is a common headdress in some locales but probably not here in rural Ohio, USA.

hat-1.JPG

Hat-2.JPG

Hat-3.JPG

hat-4.JPG