JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Geoffrey W. Jackson: “Do All Things for God’s Glory” (1 Cor. 10:31)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1683 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

It would be nice. My local congregation elder body has decided against it in the past.

Even though another congregation that meets at are double hall does it.

I guess they are awaiting for some specific wording that they can use it from this time forward. 

Time will tell.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

It would be nice. My local congregation elder body has decided against it in the past.

Even though another congregation that meets at are double hall does it.

I guess they are awaiting for some specific wording that they can use it from this time forward. 

Time will tell.

Yes, I wasn’t asking about showing scriptures in general, but this way in particular. Where you highlight key expressions and can also show footnotes, when necessary.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I was intrigued by the Bible Brother Jackson holding in his left hand. Looks like a Bible,  but it is a cover or case for his tablet. Anyone know a source for this cover of this type? I want one.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

We have gotten direction on displaying scriptures on the screens/TV.

The direction was not overly specific but did state that we should NOT display ALL scriptures in general for an entire lesson or talk. It did allow for "key" scriptures to be displayed ... and they should be displayed in a way that was not "overly distracting".

This could allow for displaying the [READ] scriptures in a Q&A part or "key" scriptures in a PT.

Last Memorial our speaker had some key scriptures displayed (only about three) during his talk - for the benefit of some who may not have had a Bible.

So far, we have not had a PT speaker ask for scriptures - although, we can display them ... but, not highlighted, like in Br. Jackson's talk. Our speaker this past Sunday (yesterday) had 7 images in his talk.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

22 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, I wasn’t asking about showing scriptures in general, but this way in particular. Where you highlight key expressions and can also show footnotes, when necessary.

I am in ASL so it is naturally the case that scriptures are displayed ( a video file). But I find that two things can happen which are unintended when scriptures are displayed 1. We get out of practice in quickly looking up scriptures. 2. If certain words are highlighted the understanding of the scripture can be quite literally “ colored”. This happened during Brother Jackson’s talk for example in 2 Corinthians 6:3 . While Brother Jackson was emphasizing giving “NO cause for stumbling “ the scripture can also be correctly emphasized “ no CAUSE for stumbling “.  Because we all know that some are stumbled without cause. 

Edited by BenJepthah

I am in ASL so it is naturally the case that scriptures are displayed ( a video file). But I find that two things can happen which are unintended when scriptures are displayed 1. We get out of practice in quickly looking up scriptures. 2. If certain words are highlighted the understanding of the scripture can be quite literally “ colored”. This happened during Brother Jackson’s talk for example in 2 Corinthians 6:3 . While Brother Jackson was emphasizing giving “NO cause for stumbling “ the scripture can also be correctly emphasized “ no CAUSE for stumbling “.  Because we all know that some are stumbled without cause. 

It is true, but the speakers are teachers, and might want to highlight a specific word or expression to explain the scripture form that angle. It doesn’t mean you cannot approach scriptures from various angles. When preparing a study publication, such as the Watchtower, we are asked to find keywords and key expressions in scriptures that pertain to that specific article. In other articles, we might find other keywords and key expressions in the same scripture pertaining to that article.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

14 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

It is true, but the speakers are teachers, and might want to highlight a specific word or expression to explain the scripture form that angle. It doesn’t mean you cannot approach scriptures from various angles. When preparing a study publication, such as the Watchtower, we are asked to find keywords and key expressions in scriptures that pertain to that specific article. In other articles, we might find other keywords and key expressions in the same scripture pertaining to that article.

This is typically done through inflection. Or in ASL by drawing out the sign. 

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, but could be made clearer perhaps the way brother Jackson did it.

The truth be known I dislike absolutes . The idea that one must “ stumble No one is impossible ( even for Jesus). But not giving any CAUSE for stumbling is another matter. In reality of what we do is in union with Jehovah and some are stumbled by it ( as many are). Then it is Jehovah who stumbles them. And if what we don’t do is in union with Jehovah the Same is also true.  But taking the illustration of Brother Jackson’s hat it is nearly certain that someone , somewhere, will be stumbled by the hat itself. Even though neither he or it presents a “ Cause “ for stumbling. 

He makes his point well but without “ making a lot of rules “ about dress and grooming still we are subject to what amounts to being subjected to rules made up by the perpetually potentially stumbled. People who may or may not even exist.

From real life . I personally know a Brother who rented ( on short notice because he couldn’t use a KH ) an American Legion Hall for His wedding and reception. Someone objected ( the wife of an Elder) The Elder objected as this was “ presumably “ a “ Cause for Stumbling “.  The couple went to the Cirquit Brother about the matter. What do you suppose his take was on the matter? And to whom might his decision have been a “ Cause for stumbling “?  Effectively we cannot please everyone all the time.

Edited by BenJepthah

7 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

But taking the illustration of Brother Jackson’s hat it is nearly certain that someone , somewhere, will be stumbled by the hat itself. 

...or unnecessarily distracted or confused. 

None of us what to be guilty of creating a roadblock that prevents someone from accepting the truth, nor would we want to put small speed bumps on the same road. We all want to make the road for our prospective brothers as smooth as possible.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

...or unnecessarily distracted or confused. 

None of us what to be guilty of creating a roadblock that prevents someone from accepting the truth, nor would we want to put small speed bumps on the same road. We all want to make the road for our prospective brothers as smooth as possible.

Yes I agree. The problem occurs when what we do ( wear a hat in service ) will stumble one but not doing so will stumble another. This is not only possible but it is likely to occur.

Yes I agree. The problem occurs when what we do ( wear a hat in service ) will stumble one but not doing so will stumble another. This is not only possible but it is likely to occur.

We need to ask ourselves, is it common to wear a hat or cap in the ministry. Here it is, so many brothers and sisters do. However, in some areas it is not, so we might want to refrain. It is not ‘expected’ and will draw attention away from what we say. Brother Jackson wore it indoors for morning worship. It was not expected and took attention from what he was saying, so he removed it.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

13 hours ago, Thesauron said:

We need to ask ourselves, is it common to wear a hat or cap in the ministry. Here it is, so many brothers and sisters do. However, in some areas it is not, so we might want to refrain. It is not ‘expected’ and will draw attention away from what we say. Brother Jackson wore it indoors for morning worship. It was not expected and took attention from what he was saying, so he removed it.

We have seen this theme discussed at least three times in the last three years by my reconing.  Perhaps the problem isn’t that so many of the friends worldwide are wearing skinny jeans , pantsuits , or manbuns but that the cultures of many lands are in flux as mass immigration occurs.  

Statistically previously predominantly Caucasian Majority lands simply aren’t anymore. With Cultural dynamics reforming things like dress and grooming are also being influenced. Very likely the next professional you encounter ( Lawyer , Judge, Doctor, Police officer ) will not be dressed or groomed as he ( assuming a he ) was just ten years ago. This is certainly true in the United states.

And yet we, Jehovah’s people , however will not be directed by 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 unless we are told specifically that these things are okay. If such decisions are made at the local level ( the Elders ) we might “ win some” in our territory by demonstrating that we in fact and truth are not following “ a lot of rules” but instead are  truly following Bible Principles. This fact is manifest in my extended family in which for many years I have been the ONLY man who isnt Groomed in the manner forbidden even to mention here. My brother , who recently died faithfully refusing transfusion, had some who questioned his love for Jehovah on this basis alone. 

10 minutes ago, Bek said:

Is wearing a flat cap associated with something negative in the US? 

Not much, but wearing one when on the platform is most unusual. I wear one when in service to keep my combover from blowing in the wind. That bring disgrace to our message.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Is wearing a flat cap associated with something negative in the US? 

His point was that if you wear it when it’s not expected then it might take away attention from what you are saying. He might wear one when outside, though. Even in the ministry.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

14 hours ago, Thesauron said:

ourselves, is it common to wear a hat or cap in the ministry.

This is the real question: “ Is it considered unusual for people to wear a hat or a cap outside? “ since we alone are engaged in the ministry if we just look at one another for guidance we will not adapt to the changing world around us.   This was once an issue when we all were required to wear white shirts.  FYI : the Mormon’s are still required to wear white shirts. The Amish have little success in their minuscule preaching work for this very reason. 

In short : while we aren’t mired in a lot of rules if we fail to take in the changes in culture around us we can appear to be. And if we are always lookied at each other to gage these matters we would still all be wearing white shirts. 

59 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

And yet we, Jehovah’s people , however will not be directed by 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 unless we are told specifically that these things are okay.

I disagree. We will become what is necessary to reach people. We even quite willingly limit our freedoms to reach some, if necessary. Our personal tastes are secondary. We might like this or that dress very much, but we might not be able to wear it in the ministry anyway.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

This is the real question: “ Is it considered unusual for people to wear a hat or a cap outside? “ since we alone are engaged in the ministry if we just look at one another for guidance we will not adapt to the changing world around us.   This was once an issue when we all were required to wear white shirts.  FYI : the Mormon’s are still required to wear white shirts. The Amish have little success in their minuscule preaching work for this very reason. 

In short : while we aren’t mired in a lot of rules if we fail to take in the changes in culture around us we can appear to be. And if we are always lookied at each other to gage these matters we would still all be wearing white shirts. 

Yes, and we would wear white shirts only, if the people in our territories responded better we’re when dressed that way. This is something a local BoE is best equipped to answer. Or, as brother Jackson suggested, learn from elderly, mature Christians.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

9 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

wear white shirts only

A brother from another area was visiting on Sunday and he wore a very bright orangy pink shirt. Had to tease him

saying it would make a nice long load flag fro my pickup.

The told him back in the 70's an elder came to meeting wearing a coloured shirt - 1st time ever done in our Paris, ON congregation ( which ceased to exist Sept 1st )

Just thought about it - it took 45 + years for the white shirt policy to be disciplined in that congregation 🤐

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: