JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Remote control for showing pics

Yesterday I visited a nearby congregation and was pleasantly surprised to see a sister in charge of sound and video. And not because there was shortage of brothers!

Well, during the Watchtower I noticed there was no one in the sound desk, the sister was in her seat in the audience, yet the pictures for the Watchtower were displayed when the brother requested them. I was so intrigued I asked the sister afterwards, and she explained that she has Teamviewer installed both on her tablet and on the KH computer. [Teamviewer is a very popular software that allows to control another device remotely in a very easy way.] So when she has to display a picture, she simply uses Teamviewer to have it displayed from the computer.

The only drawback is that she needs to keep the Teamviewer window constantly open on her tablet, otherwise Android will close it. she solves that by using a split screen. But of course another solution would be to have a dedicated tablet or phone at the KH just for that.

In that congregation isn't there a need to open or close mics, both for the reader and the commentators?

In our hall, if we keep all the mics open we have a lot of feedback. So the sound brother is allways turning on and off the mics as needed (it's difficult as sometimes he forgets something and we can't hear the person answering)

2 hours ago, carlos said:

Yesterday I visited a nearby congregation and was pleasantly surprised to see a sister in charge of sound and video. And not because there was shortage of brothers!

Well, during the Watchtower I noticed there was no one in the sound desk, the sister was in her seat in the audience, yet the pictures for the Watchtower were displayed when the brother requested them. I was so intrigued I asked the sister afterwards, and she explained that she has Teamviewer installed both on her tablet and on the KH computer. [Teamviewer is a very popular software that allows to control another device remotely in a very easy way.] So when she has to display a picture, she simply uses Teamviewer to have it displayed from the computer.

The only drawback is that she needs to keep the Teamviewer window constantly open on her tablet, otherwise Android will close it. she solves that by using a split screen. But of course another solution would be to have a dedicated tablet or phone at the KH just for that.

Is she seated because she's  a woman? 

well nice to train sisters. 

Im familiar with teamviewer.. 

Is the app capable of running the audio portion of the system?  The reason there is a A/V attendant is to monitor the system for possible need of control or correction.  If a person is speaking to softly into the mic, we can increase to volume.  If there is a beginning of feedback, we can reduce the volume or disconnect an additional microphone, There is the need to engage the next song to sing and similar duties.  Our telephone connection to the meeting may drop-out and need reconnecting and some halls have security to attend to.

Just curious how these intermittent duties function from the audience.

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

In that congregation isn't there a need to open or close mics, both for the reader and the commentators?

Apparently they don't have that problem.

28 minutes ago, JennyM said:

Is she seated because she's  a woman? 

No. She's at the sound booth at the beginning to adjust the volume of the speaker. I guess she was there at the beginning of the Watchtower study too to adjust the volume for the conductor. But the rest of the time she was in her seat with the rest of the audience. Much easier to comment from her seat.

6 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Just curious how these intermittent duties function from the audience.

I understand all that but everything worked seamlessly. It seems it's working for them. Anyway, in case something goes wrong it wouldn't take the sister more than a few seconds to go back to the sound booth. Not a big deal.

The mics system was interesting too. Since this is a very small congregation (16 publishers, 26 people in the audience including my wife and me) and they only use the first four or five rows, a couple brothers in the audience have a mic. When someone is called to comment they simply hand them the mic from one row to the other. Then that person passes the mic to the next one commenting. There are no brothers running to and fro with the mics. I don't see that working in a big congregation but it works perfectly for them.

Edited by carlos