JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

So in Sarasota Florida from the branch they've discontinued the cart work or Metro until after March 20th. And if I'm not going to be going to meetings out in service and doing Metro for now my go bag is the bed I'm in the bathroom next to me and the kitchen down the hall. Why would I leave my house and expose myself to the virus.

barbllm you might want to check these facts out today from the CDC.......

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*
  • Total cases: 164
  • Total deaths: 11
  • States reporting cases: 19

* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date..... that puts the death rate under 1%.

April 2009 h1n1 swine flu is diagnosed.

At the June 25, 2009 Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices Meeting 

Adobe PDF file

, CDC estimated that at least 1 million cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza had occurred in the United States........ I don't remember meetings and service or anything being canceled because of the swine flu.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/03/06/what-is-state-of-emergency-coronavirus/4974968002/    It's true, one case!

After Kentucky health officials confirmed the state's first coronavirus case Friday, Gov. Andy Beshear declared a public health emergency. It came just hours after Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb also announced a first confirmed case and declared its own public health emergency. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/03/06/coronavirus-spread-nursing-home-infections-can-go-beyond-their-walls/4964397002/

Coronavirus a concern in nursing homes, where 75% have been cited for infection control errors

"Seventy-five percent of U.S. nursing homes have been cited for failing to properly monitor and control infections in the last three years — a higher proportion than previously known, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal inspection data. Those citations have been as mild as a paperwork problem, and as serious as a nursing home not telling state officials about an outbreak as unmonitored workers spread disease to patients."

"Failed infection control means nursing homes can spread the new coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, far beyond their walls, said Charlene Harrington, a professor emeritus of nursing at the University of California, San Francisco.

"Nursing homes are viewed only as a problem to residents and maybe the staff, but in this case you can see it can affect the entire community," she said. “Poor care in one nursing home becomes an epicenter for the entire community.”

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/2-deaths-related-to-covid-19-reported-in-florida/67-c41de4a7-f34c-4ec3-9d4b-8e2ecd16b555

2 deaths related to COVID-19 reported in Florida

The Florida Department of Health said the man in Santa Rosa County and a person who was diagnosed in Lee County were deceased.

I'm Breaking now for a commercial! 😉

1 hour ago, Todd komaniak said:

Lee 49 just remember the old adage about news if it bleeds it leads. I was quoting from someone else that was in the know that in the United States not other countries that it's less than 1% death rate.

yes the 3.4% rate is worldwide some countries like Iran have a higher death rate, but that could be undereporting or undertesting which will bring the death rate down hopefully. USA is undertesting as is NZ ... so i think between 1% - 3% presumptive is safe ground until we are well into this and able to ascertain more secure stats.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

7 minutes ago, Jothob said:

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned as I’ve not read all the comments but, we have our memorial next month! How will this affect it? There will be literally millions gathering together!! 😔

if anyone is under quarantine then we do as the brothers and sisters have who have been in prison or prison camps in the past.

In fact I'm trying to make my own unfortified wine from my grapes haha ... just in case, and if we okay then it was a fun exercise.

Recipe for bread in our magazine. 

Maybe we can watch it streamed for those who are in quarantine ... and pass our own emblems around. Your best is very acceptable to Jehovah.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

15 minutes ago, Stee said:

Toilet paper argument turns violent in Sydney Woolworths

What a disgrace! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️  ..Can only imagine whats going to happen during GT, when food may be scarce.

D41B4FA9-4263-4528-AA8B-D120BD763BEA.jpeg

Yeah, this may sound extreme - but seeing this frightened me at how quickly people lose it and don't cope. It is possible during the GT that people could take each others lives (I hope not) just to survive.

2 minutes ago, GraceH said:

Yeah, this may sound extreme - but seeing this frightened me at how quickly people lose it and don't cope. It is possible during the GT that people could take each others lives (I hope not) just to survive.

I totally agree..it is frightening to see! You’ll be surprised what people will do to save themselves. That’s why true Christians will be obvious at that time, as we will do everything with love. 💖

17 minutes ago, GraceH said:

It had happened in 2005 duing the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.  As I recollect one news article stated  that there was a horrible incident where a man shot and killed his own sister during distribution of cases of bottled water.  (No doubt there was pandemonium and people were desperate for what they could get their hands on.)

But to kill your own family member over bottled water, I can't wrap my mind around that!

Edited by Omoyeme

1 hour ago, GraceH said:

Yep, it is disturbing. My son got a video from a friend who was shopping Costco this morning with his daughter. He didn't show the behaviour as he had removed himself from the crowd. He was really unsettled by the behaviour of people there and wanted to get his daughter out of there. This was early just as Costco opened. 

Trump has signed an 8.3 billion dollar bill an emergency package to combat the virus.  Two have died in the State of Florida now so the deaths are no longer only on the West Coast in the United States.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-14-dead-across-u-s-trump-signs-n1151451

Edited by JW2017

Anybody else wonder about this? - 

Why are there so few reported COVID-19 cases in Russia? - https://meduza.io/en/feature/2020/03/06/why-are-there-so-few-reported-covid-19-cases-in-russia

The number of COVID-19 cases detected per day outside of China has long surpassed the recorded infection rate within Chinese borders. Nonetheless, since 2020 began, Russia has reported only four confirmed cases of the disease. Only one of those cases was found in Moscow, the second-largest city in Europe after Istanbul. Meanwhile, in Italy, France, and Germany, there are currently 3,089, 337, and 444 confirmed cases, respectively. This is despite the fact that the number of passengers who have traveled to those countries from China by air is comparable to the number traveling to Russia. While it’s impossible to say with certainty how this disparity arose, it is possible to offer a few potential explanations. Whether you believe them is up to you.

Hypothesis 1: Russia closed its borders fast enough that almost nobody infected with the virus could get in

Hypothesis 2: At first, Russia just got lucky, and then limits at the border did their job

Hypothesis 3: Russia managed to find everyone carrying the virus

Hypothesis 4: Russia isn’t using the best available test for the virus

Hypothesis 5: The number of coronavirus cases recorded in Russia is a vast underestimation, but most patients haven’t needed medical help ( click on link to read full story )