JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What are you reading right now?

Barbllm

I really liked Wet Desert by Gary Hansen. 

Grant Stevens, a mid-level manager for the Bureau of Reclamation, only wanted to build dams. He never imagined he would be swept into a desperate race against an environmental terrorist bent on restoring the Colorado River by blowing up the dams. Left temporarily in charge of the Bureau, Grant must react when the first dam is attacked. He faces the unthinkable task of mitigating the massive flood roaring down the Colorado. The flood will eventually threaten the mighty Hoover Dam, and if Hoover fails, the other dams downstream will fall like dominos. Working with the FBI, Grant uses his engineering skills, river knowledge, and plenty of gut instinct in an attempt to outmaneuver the terrorist. The chase will lead all the way downstream to the Gulf of California in a cat and mouse game where the stakes are high and the potential for destruction is enormous

I'm currently reading a book titled, "runaway jury" by John Grisham. Talks about a multimillion legal controversy between two law firms in an explosive trial.. Packs a lot of suspense, and the author is an amazing narrative author. I'd recommend it to anyone

35 minutes ago, Barbllm said:

I've read Ford County Stories and A Time to Kill by John Grisham.  I'm currently re-reading Larry McMurtry's Western opus, Lonesome Dove.  I forgot how epic this book was, or how many characters it had.

He has written in a number of genres. One book was "Terms of Endearment". About as far removed from "Lonesom Dove" as one could get. Cowboys to astronauts. Also one of the most researched books about Billie the Kid. Sad story, nothing like the movies.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 hours ago, Barbllm said:

I've read Ford County Stories and A Time to Kill by John Grisham.  I'm currently re-reading Larry McMurtry's Western opus, Lonesome Dove.  I forgot how epic this book was, or how many characters it had.

Lonesome dove is part of a classic. How to start reading this this series?

Series in order of publication:
Lonesome Dove (1985)
Streets of Laredo (1993)
Dead Man's Walk (1995)
Comanche Moon (1997)

Series in order of internal chronology:

Dead Man's Walk – set in the early 1840s
Comanche Moon – set in the 1850–60s
Lonesome Dove – set in mid-to-late 1870s
Streets of Laredo – set in the early 1890s

The one book I just finished reading was The Ride of a Lifetime by Robert Iger. He was the CEO of Disney for 15 years before he stepped down a couple weeks back. He talks about how he started working for ABC as an errand boy when it was small and how he climbed the ranks and how he got into an executive position. He talks about how the Disney merger with ABC happened and there’s fascinating stories about Michael Eisner, Roy E Disney, Steve Jobs, and John Lassiter. Fantastic read. The prologue is what hooked me. It talks about how he reacted when he heard about the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando and the alligator attack that killed a young boy in Disney World on the same weekend when Iger was opening Shanghai Disneyland. He talks about how he was brought to tears and how he went against conventional wisdom to help those affected by those tragedies.

Just a fantastic, clean book and I couldn’t put it down. If you like Disney and want to read about some juicy behind the scenes stories of the company, this is it. I highly recommend it. He’s a fantastic story teller. There’s also some never before heard stories about Steve Jobs and how Iger had to convince George Lucas that Star Wars wasn’t as valuable as Pixar and how that lead to some tension with Lucas. Great stuff.

I’m a Disney history nut and this book certainly entertained me and I learned even more about the recent history of the company.

Edited by MM9106

On 4/10/2020 at 10:25 PM, coony77 said:

If you like exciting thrillers, I can recommend books by Charlotte Link, e. g. "The foreign guest", "the deception", "The last track" or "in the valley of the fox".

Do u have them in pdf or EPUB version.

I am unable to find them.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:52 AM, dilip kumar said:

Lonesome dove is part of a classic. How to start reading this this series?

Series in order of publication:
Lonesome Dove (1985)
Streets of Laredo (1993)
Dead Man's Walk (1995)
Comanche Moon (1997)

Series in order of internal chronology:

Dead Man's Walk – set in the early 1840s
Comanche Moon – set in the 1850–60s
Lonesome Dove – set in mid-to-late 1870s
Streets of Laredo – set in the early 1890s

I started with Lonesome Dove, then moved on to Streets of Laredo and Comanche Moon.  But you could read them in chronological order.  I don't think I've read Dead Man's Walk yet.

On 4/18/2020 at 12:27 PM, dilip kumar said:

Do u have them in pdf or EPUB version.

I am unable to find them.

I'm sorry, Dilip, I have them as "classic" paper books. I think I have one of them as epub, but that won't help you, as it is in German 😬

Edited by coony77

Chrissy :wave:

Just now, dilip kumar said:

I saw that. What about the titles which you suggested sis.

I'm still searching for English versions and will let you know...but I have also read "the other child", I think it was even the first of her books I read. I can recommend it 👍

10 minutes ago, dilip kumar said:

I saw that. What about the titles which you suggested sis.

I had a look on Amazon and Ebay, but it seems that only 2 titles are available in English: "the other child" (which I can recommend) and "the watcher" (which I haven't read). Her book "the last trace" was only translated into French so far...

I'm sorry, it looks like you have to learn German 😁

• 3 months later...

I'm currently reading "No Greater Love" - How My Family Survived the Genocide in Rwanda.  It's a first-hand account told by Brother Seminega who, along with his wife and 5 children were ultimately protected by their fellow JW brethren (who in the face of danger risked their own lives hiding the Seminegas) throughout the dark days of the Rwandan Genocide.  Each chapter begins with a thought-provoking quote from the Bible, which I find encouraging throughout.

My second book that I'll be reading thereafter is: The Passionate Olive - 101 Things to Do With Olive Oil by Carol Firenze.  I enjoy cooking with olive oil so I'll look forward to reading this one soon. :)

20200804_061515.jpg

Edited by Omoyeme

1 hour ago, Omoyeme said:

I'm currently reading "No Greater Love" - How My Family Survived the Genocide in Rwanda.  It's a first-hand account told by Brother Seminega who, along with his wife and 5 children were ultimately protected by their fellow JW brethren (who in the face of danger risked their own lives hiding the Seminegas) throughout the dark days of the Rwandan Genocide.  Each chapter begins with a thought-provoking quote from the Bible, which I find encouraging throughout.

My second book that I'll be reading thereafter is: The Passionate Olive - 101 Things to Do With Olive Oil by Carol Firenze.  I enjoy cooking with olive oil so I'll look forward to reading this one soon. :)

20200804_061515.jpg

That looks very interesting!  I just bought it for my Kindle; will read it later.  Thanks for the information.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:37 AM, Omoyeme said:

Thank you, sis. I'd love to read this. May I ask, is it only available on Amazon? Or could I perhaps get a pdf of the ebook?