JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WW2 : Remembering those who suffered for Christ's sake

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=502018290&srcid=share

Professor Robert Gerwarth* concludes that Jehovah’s Witnesses were “the only group in the Third Reich to be persecuted on the basis of their religious beliefs alone.” a Fellow concentration-camp prisoners came to admire Jehovah’s Witnesses for their firm stand. One Austrian prisoner observed: “They do not go to war. They would rather be killed than kill anyone else.”

* Robert Gerwarth is Professor of Modern History at University College Dublin (UCD), Ireland. and Director of the Centre for War Studies.

Edited by Imagine

Travelling exhibition: Banned and Persecuted - Jehovah’s Witnesses at Ravensbrück Concentration Camp and in East Germany’s Prisons

image.thumb.png.130f39bad2b89c366a74ed70cb41621c.png

Heeding the words of the prophet Daniel (Daniel 3:17 et seq.), the Jehovah’s Witnesses did not try to escape imprisonment. They took it as a test of Jehovah’s will, and so the SS trusted them to work without guards in SS and private households, as well as on agricultural estates

In four chapters spread across sixteen panels, the exhibition looks at the Jehovah’s Witnesses and their persecution, before continuing on to the issue of reparations and today’s ways of commemorating their victims. The public can also visit tables that provide a closer look at the fate of six female and six male Jehovah’s Witnesses through additional documents and photos

https://www.ravensbrueck-sbg.de/en/exhibitions/ravensbrueck-memorial-travelling-exhibitions/verboten-und-verfolgt-jehovas-zeugen-im-kz-ravensbrueck-und-in-haftanstalten-der-ddr/

Edited by Imagine

• 1 month later...

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2011/10/world-war-ii-the-holocaust/100170/

Warning: All images in this entry are shown in full, not screened out for graphic content. There are many dead bodies. The photographs are graphic and stark. This is the reality of genocide, and of an important part of World War II and human history.

World War II: The Holocaust

One of the most horrific terms in history was used by Nazi Germany to designate human beings whose lives were unimportant, or those who should be killed outright: Lebensunwertes Leben, or "life unworthy of life". The phrase was applied to the mentally impaired and later to the "racially inferior," or "sexually deviant," as well as to "enemies of the state" both internal and external. 

Spoiler

image.png.b8f72e959a84fea878a8231bc2ece622.png

An emaciated 18-year-old Russian girl looks into the camera lens during the liberation of Dachau concentration camp in 1945. Dachau was the first German concentration camp, opened in 1933. More than 200,000 people were detained between 1933 and 1945, and 31,591 deaths were declared, most from disease, malnutrition and suicide. Unlike Auschwitz, Dachau was not explicitly an extermination camp, but conditions were so horrific that hundreds died every week

Edited by Imagine

A brother in my former congregation sent me this today: He says these are two of the most popular podcasters right now. One (the guy with the cap on) hosts a very in-depth history podcast called Hardcore History, the other guy (the one with the black suit) hosts a more general knowledge talk show. They are talking about, could Hitler have been stopped, and at what point in time (obviously before he would have wreaked all the destruction he did)? That conversation then turns into the question of who were truly heroic in Nazi Germany? Guess who the conversation turns to…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpWvz0dR3wc&ab_channel=LexClips

(Link removed since YouTube does not allow embedding of this video. I hope you don't have a problem copying/pasting the link.)

Edited by Sheep

In 1999, while serving at Bethel, seminars on the theme “Purple Triangles—The Forgotten Victims of Nazism” were organized, and I had the privilege of meeting two brothers who survived the horrors of Nazism, Rudolph Graichen and Magdalena Kusserow. I created some files recounting some events from the time of the seminars, originally in Portuguese and translated into English (well, at least I tried to translate). I am going to attach two files here, one with details of Sister Magdalena Kusserow's visit and the other with some photos of the Exhibition that was set up in Bethel. I hope you enjoy. In the future I will try to translate the part of the visit of Br. Graichen and another telling more details about the Exhibition. 

001 - Magdalena Kusserow (inglês).pdf 1962904449_002-PurpleTriangles-BethelExhibition.pdf

2 hours ago, Araujo JW said:

originally in Portuguese and translated into English (well, at least I tried to translate)

Well done, Brother Christino. Thank you for taking the trouble to translate so much material for us. Very faith strengthening account. 

Spoiler

image.png.3ec6f8a07d165a6447f59b36b42f7609.png

My first two words of Portugese. I'm lovin it.

14 hours ago, Imagine said:

Well done, Brother Christino. Thank you for taking the trouble to translate so much material for us. Very faith strengthening account. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.3ec6f8a07d165a6447f59b36b42f7609.png

My first two words of Portugese. I'm lovin it.

Hello Sister Ying Ching! It is a pleasure to share part of what has been one of the greatest theocratic privileges I have ever had. 🥰

And congratulations! It started very well with the Portuguese language! 😀

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting this in memory of those who died in the god-awful Holocaust. It breaks my heart that these people suffered the way they did. May what they went through never be forgotten.

”Too many cameras and not enough food. This is what we’ve seen.” - Sting 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

17 minutes ago, *Jack* said:

Thanks for posting this in memory of those who died in the god-awful Holocaust. It breaks my heart that these people suffered the way they did. May what they went through never be forgotten.

”Too many cameras and not enough food. This is what we’ve seen.” - Sting 

I was responding to the link with the pics. I didn’t realize the thread was originally about the brothers and sisters who were victims of the holocaust, although I think the Witness and non-witness victims should both be remembered. 

The holocaust should strengthen our resolve to build ourselves up spiritually before the great tribulation because there will be some similarities to what the Jews went through during that time and what we’ll go through during the GT. I say that because the reason so many were willing to persecute the Jews and support those who did was because of propaganda. It’s prophesied that propaganda will be the reason so many will want to attack and persecute us before and leading up to Armageddon. It will literally be us against the world. We have to build our faith and trust in Jehovah NOW.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

• 8 months later...

On 4/8/2023 at 6:05 AM, Imagine said:

All images in this entry are shown in full, not screened out for graphic content.

And to think that there are still many who deny the holocaust ever existed. It would be very sobering for the younger generations to be shown some of these photos.

1 hour ago, Araujo JW said:

Ils sont restés spirituellement forts dans les moments difficiles

https://www.jw.org/en/library/series/from-our-archives-1/Ils-Stayed-Spiritually-Strong-in-Difficult-Times/

Thank you, brother Cristina. Lots of moving lessons and a powerful conclusion : 

"Today, many of Jehovah’s servants are enduring the hardships caused by natural disasters, disease, war, persecution, and the rising cost of living. (2 Timothy 3:1) Yet, we need not be overly anxious. Why? The example of our faithful brothers and sisters in Germany during the Nazi era assures us that our God will continue to support us during these difficult last days. So let us have the attitude of the apostle Paul, who wrote: “May [we] be of good courage and say: ‘Jehovah is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?’”—Hebrews 13:6."