JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What are you reading right now?

Barbllm

Dark Matter sounds good. Very FUNNY review here - https://www.npr.org/2016/07/31/485865180/dark-matter-is-a-jet-propelled-science-thriller

I'm adding it to my list.

I am reading Expeditionary Force by Craig Allanson. I could have skipped book 2 and not missed a thing (except unnecessary curse words). I'm in book 3 now - well more listening than reading.

:welcome:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

54 minutes ago, trottigy said:

Dark Matter sounds good. Very FUNNY review here - https://www.npr.org/2016/07/31/485865180/dark-matter-is-a-jet-propelled-science-thriller

I'm adding it to my list.

I am reading Expeditionary Force by Craig Allanson. I could have skipped book 2 and not missed a thing (except unnecessary curse words). I'm in book 3 now - well more listening than reading.

:welcome:

Hi, and thanks.  Is Allanson's work science fiction?  That's my favorite genre, but I tend to read a little bit of everything.

1 hour ago, Miss Bea said:

Genesis18. 
And, “Two People, One Place”.  Humboldt history. Volume 1. It’s a history of the tribes, and what happened when the dominate society changed. From native people, to ones who moved in.

I need to get a copy of that. Amazon has a used copy for $1,196.79 which is a little over my budget. Maybe I can get together with Dave B. and we can split the cost!  :lol:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

11 minutes ago, Old said:

I need to get a copy of that. Amazon has a used copy for $1,196.79 which is a little over my budget. Maybe I can get together with Dave B. and we can split the cost!  :lol:

Is it the same book? By Ray Raphael and Freeman House? 
If so, I will send it north when I’m finished. 
I used to be an avid reader, then came the internet. So, I’ve made myself read an actual book. (Besides what we read daily)

Funny. I buy things cheap, and don’t think about it. (This one wasn’t in that category.) 

But I have glass. And it’s been around for years. Then this trademark thing dawns on me. Yes, I have some glass that is not as cheap as it was when I bought it. 
Books, who knows?

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

1 hour ago, Barbllm said:

Hi, and thanks.  Is Allanson's work science fiction?  That's my favorite genre, but I tend to read a little bit of everything.

Yes, sci-fi 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

40 minutes ago, dilip kumar said:

Are John grishams novels ok to read?

Sent from my Infinix X604B using Tapatalk

Depends on what your preferred genre is.  He writes legal thrillers.  Personally, I loved "A Time to Kill" which was one of his first novels, but it deals with a difficult topic: the murder of a child.  Another book of his, "Ford County: Stories" is a collection of short stories.  As far as them being "okay" to read: that's up to you and your conscience.  

Welcome to JWTalk, Sister Barbara!

111713454_WELCOM18.GIF.61e56ac99bb951171475bb041bb21a9f.GIF

My eyes tire easily, so I am more into audio books these days.

Just finished having Louisa Mae Alcott's "Little Women"

and Mark Twain's "Life On the Mississippi" read to me. :D

I have a hard copy of Evelyn Sibley Lampman's "The Potlatch Family"

that I intend to read next...for the fourth or fifth time. :D

Available on amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Potlatch-Family-Evelyn-Sibley-Lampman/dp/0689500394

This is another great audiobook:   

https://librivox.org/the-scarlet-pimpernel-by-baroness-emmuska-orczy/

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Miss Bea said:

Is it the same book? By Ray Raphael and Freeman House? 
If so, I will send it north when I’m finished. 
I used to be an avid reader, then came the internet. So, I’ve made myself read an actual book. (Besides what we read daily)

Funny. I buy things cheap, and don’t think about it. (This one wasn’t in that category.) 

But I have glass. And it’s been around for years. Then this trademark thing dawns on me. Yes, I have some glass that is not as cheap as it was when I bought it. 
Books, who knows?

Same book.I think the price was set by a computer program. I have seen it before, only one listed so it must be worth a fortune. I saw the samething happen the "Thunder over the Ochoco*"  series as listed on Amazon, used at local bookstore $7.00 used on Amazon $200.

It is hard to find books about Humbolt County and environs. 

* "Thunder over the Ochoco the heartbreaking story of Oregon's Shoshone Indians." The setting was Central Oregon, where I pioneered and Gerty was born and raised. 7 volumes over all.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, dilip kumar said:

Are John grishams novels ok to read?

Sent from my Infinix X604B using Tapatalk

An excellent writer of fiction. Despite that crimes and immoral people are the center of his stories he does not include a lot of offensive language or events. He says he knows his kids will read his books some day.

It’s just a book. If you like when I get finished, I will send it to you. I’m about a third through it. Then, maybe, if system still exists, you can get it back to me. It’s a reference book. For things we see the results of today. 
Also, we may have other hard to get books. I know I have one on the tsunami that hit Crescent City. Other books, also. We have been cleaning out, and, if didn’t decide to read it, it would have been given away. To the second hand store. As I said, just a book. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Resistance Reborn" which is a Star Wars novel set just before the events of "Rise of Skywalker."  It was pretty good, but Rey seemed sidelined throughout the whole book; it was mostly Poe, Finn, Leia, and some newer characters.  I also want to start "Rogue Protocol" by Martha Wells.

• 2 weeks later...

Not reading anything right now, but a few good books I’ve read recently (I apologize if any of these have anything offensive to someone; I felt fine reading them but I know everyone’s conscience is so different)

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Looking at these now, apparently I like books with the main character’s name in the title 😁

On 3/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, Barbllm said:

Just finished "Resistance Reborn" which is a Star Wars novel set just before the events of "Rise of Skywalker."  It was pretty good, but Rey seemed sidelined throughout the whole book; it was mostly Poe, Finn, Leia, and some newer characters.  I also want to start "Rogue Protocol" by Martha Wells.

Hi Barbara, 

Thanks for explaining what that book was about and how "Rey" was sidelined, I think I would have been a little disappointed reading it as I would like to read more concerning the character development of Rey and Kylo Ren. Are there any other books before the "Rise of Skywalker" that dive deep into these 2 characters? 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

On 2/19/2020 at 3:56 AM, Barbllm said:

Hi, new here.  Love to read.  

I'm currently reading Cop Town by Karin Slaughter (a local Georgia author) and just finished Dark Matter by Blake Crouch.

What's on your bookshelf?

I've read a few by Karin Slaughter in the Will Trent series.  I haven't read Cop Town yet

Michael Robotham is another author I've been enjoying. A psychologist with Parkinson's & a cop team up to solve crimes.

I must confess though I'm not actually reading lately, I'm listening. I love audiobooks. 

Colleen McCullough's books on Rome were very good and extremely well researched, I did actually read the physical books.

9 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Barbara, 

Thanks for explaining what that book was about and how "Rey" was sidelined, I think I would have been a little disappointed reading it as I would like to read more concerning the character development of Rey and Kylo Ren. Are there any other books before the "Rise of Skywalker" that dive deep into these 2 characters? 

Hi, and I'm not sure.  This book is set directly before the events of ROS and I'm not that familiar with Star Wars book canon.  I've read the novelization of Rogue One and The Last Jedi but that's about it.  

4 hours ago, Wren said:

I've read a few by Karin Slaughter in the Will Trent series.  I haven't read Cop Town yet

Michael Robotham is another author I've been enjoying. A psychologist with Parkinson's & a cop team up to solve crimes.

I must confess though I'm not actually reading lately, I'm listening. I love audiobooks. 

Colleen McCullough's books on Rome were very good and extremely well researched, I did actually read the physical books.

I love Michael Robotham's books!  Discovered him back in 2011.