JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What are you reading right now?

Barbllm

2 hours ago, GodlyDevotion said:

Thank you, sis. I'd love to read this. May I ask, is it only available on Amazon? Or could I perhaps get a pdf of the ebook? 

Hi Brother Kayode! I'm not certain of any PDF file, though I purchased this book (in hardcopy format) from Amazon approximately a week or so ago. Many times I'm weary of staring at a computer device, so its nice to read this book in-hand. (Indeed, this is a VERY interesting and chilling account of personal survival.) I'd recommend it.

1 hour ago, Omoyeme said:

Hi Brother Kayode! I'm not certain of any PDF file, though I purchased this book (in hardcopy format) from Amazon approximately a week or so ago. Many times I'm weary of staring at a computer device, so its nice to read this book in-hand. (Indeed, this is a VERY interesting and chilling account of personal survival.) I'd recommend it.

Thank you, sis. I am tots going to purchase it on Amazon then. I'm not really a bookkeeper; I flunk at it 🙂

Finished it last week. Very tense acounting of a terrible event. I was kind of disappointed thay the last third of the book contained the personal accouning from family members that were covered in the maint text. Stepping past that minor compaint, it was a very good read and emphasized JWs take care of each other as we know, but there are good people that helped just to help, not because they related to us in the truth, but just because they were good people. These are the ones we need to find and point to a better non-political system.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 7 months later...

I just finished “Journey of the Pharoah’s” by Clive Cussler. It’s a NUMA Files writing. 

What an excellent book. Never would have guessed the ending. Excellent writer and doesn’t have any swearing which I love.  

Gotta get more books by him. ☺️

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/numa-files/

“The NUMA Files” is a series of novels by Clive Cussler that focuses on Kurt Austin, who leads the team of NUMA’s Special Assignments division, and his partner Joe Zevala.

The series is related to Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series and even features some of the Pitt characters in the books, in small roles. The two series take place in the same universe (Dirk becomes director of NUMA in the later Dirk Pitt novels), they just have different main characters.

The acronym NUMA, refers to the United States National Underwater and Marine Agency.

Edited by Mclove

16 hours ago, Loopy said:

I just finished “Journey of the Pharoah’s” by Clive Cussler. It’s a NUMA Files writing. 

What an excellent book. Never would have guessed the ending. Excellent writer and doesn’t have any swearing which I love.  

Gotta get more books by him. ☺️

If you like the NUMA Files you will like the entire Dirk Pitt series.  I've finished all of them.  My current favorites from the same writers is the Oregon Files they are a lot of fun.

https://clive-cussler-books.com/category/books/the-oregon-files/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Of Mice and Men. Always wanted to read this classic book. Now reading it online. The vocabulary is a bit hard to understand. 

Spoiler

1.  Bindle Stiff

Definition: someone who carries a bindle, a hobo

Example: “Ever’body out doin’ som’pin’. Ever’body! An’ what am I doin’? Standin’ here talkin’ to a bunch of bindle stiffs.”

2.  Euchre

Definition: a trick-based multiplayer card game

Example: "George said, 'Anybody like to play a little euchre?' 'I’ll play out a few with you,' said Whit."

3.  Golden Gloves

Definition: a national amateur boxing tournament

Example: “An’ Curley’s handy. Got in the finals for the Golden Gloves. He got newspaper clippings about it.”

4.   Graybacks

Definition: lice

Example: “'Then how come he got graybacks?' George was working up a slow anger."

5.   Halter

Definition: a rope or strap placed around the head of a horse or other animal for leading or tethering

Example: “And while she went through the barn, the halter chains rattled, and some horses snorted and some stamped their feet.”

6.   Hoosegow

Definition: prison (informal, slang)

Example: “These here jail baits is just set on the trigger of the hoosegow.”

7.    Jackson Fork

Definition: a fork suspended from a machine for gathering hay

Example: “One end of the great barn was piled high with new hay and over the pile hung the four-taloned Jackson fork suspended from its pulley.”

8.   Jungle-up

Definition: to camp outside

Example: “Tramps who come wearily down from the highway in the evening to jungle-up near water.”

9.   Skinner

Definition: a type of worker on a farm, especially one who works with horses and mules

Example: “You ain’t no skinner. They’s no call for a bucker to come into the barn at all. You ain’t no skinner. You ain’t got nothing to do with the horses.”

On 4/9/2021 at 4:58 PM, Dages said:

I'm trying to read some philosophy/metaphysics about the ontology of Time (I like Time travel novel/movies but... yeah... not really possible :D )

Ryan T. Mullins is a good one on this. Very accessible.

After this one, I've been reading some Alan R. Rhoda papers on Open theism.

Then Ken Wilson on the Foundation of Augustinian-Calvinism.

Interesting works.