JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Study - July 2020 (Pictures)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1463 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

the magazine is ready for translation at least 6 months before release (I know a couple who works on the translation office in Angola)

So the all package, formatting and images is all ready well in advance

ye i get that side of these but why put them on the Public servers and not a private site?

The magazines are actually saved in the Akamai server under a two-digit hexadecimal value. For example. the link https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_periodical/5a/w_E_202004.pdf has 5a as its hexadecimal value under the files/media_periodical directory.

Maybe if someone can generate a script (that's technically called a web scraper) to check if the links are available for access by looping through each hexadecimal value, that would help to see if digital copies are indeed available despite of it not being posted in the publicly visible site.

Although I don't recommend it for we might at some point overload the Akamai server, and as always, we should focus on our personal study schedules and have a patient attitude towards the spiritual provisions given to us by the Governing Body.

3 hours ago, ray said:

The magazines are actually saved in the Akamai server under a two-digit hexadecimal value. For example. the link https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_periodical/5a/w_E_202004.pdf has 5a as its hexadecimal value under the files/media_periodical directory.

Although I don't recommend it for we might at some point overload the Akamai server, and as always, we should focus on our personal study schedules and have a patient attitude towards the spiritual provisions given to us by the Governing Body.

Cracking that code is too much for me to handle. I'll be patient. 

10 hours ago, ray said:

Maybe if someone can generate a script (that's technically called a web scraper) to check if the links are available for access by looping through each hexadecimal value, that would help to see if digital copies are indeed available despite of it not being posted in the publicly visible site.

Such a script already exists. But it doesn't help.
The brothers switch the akamaihd.net and JW.ORG at the same time.

Now as for me, I heard, but I could not understand; so I said: “O my lord, what will be the outcome of these things?” 9 Then he said: “Go, Daniel, because the words are to be kept secret and sealed up until the time of the end............ The Book of Daniel was completed 2556 years ago. It's only been within the last 200 years we've understood what it meant. Getting some pictures from an up-and-coming Watchtower or awake is not going to kill us but I think we're just moving ahead faster towards the Great Tribulation.

Edited by Todd komaniak

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 12:04 PM, The German said:

Such a script already exists. But it doesn't help.
The brothers switch the akamaihd.net and JW.ORG at the same time.

I Manfred

I couldn't understand the meaning of this sentence in relation to the quoted post...

On 2/25/2020 at 8:46 PM, ray said:

The two digit hex isn't in a pattern though. Cause' like 5a is "Z" in unicode. And May's WT is not A. It's "22" which is " , quotation marks literally.

And if we convert it to decimal, 5a is 90 and 22 is 34. So still no pattern.:confused:

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

1 hour ago, Nirex said:

The two digit hex isn't in a pattern though. Cause' like 5a is "Z" in unicode. And May's WT is not A. It's "22" which is " , quotation marks literally.

And if we convert it to decimal, 5a is 90 and 22 is 34. So still no pattern.:confused:

Nope, there are no clues on the hexadecimal digits as to what publication is stored there. It’s an arbitrary two-digit hexadecimal digit assigned to a downloadable file. The pattern here is that you can loop through each digit, then if a file of a desired name is found, then it means a copy of a publication we’re looking for is available.

But as I said, we must not waste time doing this. 🙂

5 minutes ago, ray said:

Nope, there are no clues on the hexadecimal digits as to what publication is stored there. It’s an arbitrary two-digit hexadecimal digit assigned to a downloadable file. The pattern here is that you can loop through each digit, then if a file of a desired name is found, then it means a copy of a publication we’re looking for is available.

But as I said, we must not waste time doing this. 🙂

That's right.
The magazines are displayed there and on JW.ORG at the same time. Pictures are months ago on akamaihd.net. The magazines don't.

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2020 at 8:05 AM, Dismal_Bliss said:

From https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2018364?

Since your post contained no comments other than scraping every single image from that magazine and uploading it here, we have removed them.

You probably noticed that we may occasionally allow the posting of an occasional image that is actually tied to a topic for discussion, such as the Watchtower Study topic that is in a private members only forum, or in a discussion where the image is related to the posters topic for discussion or the content of his reply, as these are in harmony with fair use laws. So if you wanted to discuss one of the images, or possible two that go together, that would be one thing. But posting ALL the pictures from the magazine with no comment attached, we cannot allow that, as we would most likely be served a take down notice from the branch.

Seems to me we are trying to split hairs.

I have seems plenty of threads with photos of unreleased JW literature. Not "occasionally". 

Threads are title unreleased "Watchtower MONTH YEAR"

So now its ok as long as we include with leaked photo a "oh wow Jah is great to be sending us this in the near future" etc etc.

So now "some" is ok as opposed to "all" pics? Doesn't add up. Wrong is wrong right is right. 

Want to know for sure...write the branch as creator of this site and ask them permission to "discuss" leaked photos of unreleased JW literature. I think we all know what their answer will be.

11 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I have seems plenty of threads with photos of unreleased JW literature. Not "occasionally". 

Threads are title unreleased "Watchtower MONTH YEAR"

I had personally been away from this community for over 1 year, aside from occasionally popping in to do a software upgrade or fix a glitch or handle a server crash. I was personally unaware of these topics. My conscience is not on board with this practice. There are "Fair Use" laws that give some allowance for quoting partial portions of literature and that we can reasonable extend to a single image or two, but posts like this I feel violates the spirit of this 2018 Questions From Readers...

*** w18 April p. 30 par. 1 Questions From Readers ***

Because we offer our Bible-based material without charge, some feel that copying and posting it on other websites or on social media is acceptable. However, doing so violates the Terms of Use for our websites and has caused serious problems. As is clearly stated in those Terms, no one is permitted to “post artwork, electronic publications, trademarks, music, photos, videos, or articles from this website on the Internet (any website, file-sharing site, video-sharing site, or social network).” Why is such a restriction needed?

As a social network dedicated to Jehovah's people, to his organization, and to Jehovah himself, I feel like we should be setting the example here. We strive to be compliant with the direct we receive from the faithful slave.

Now when I say "an image or two", do note that I am not saying in topics like this one, but rather in a scenario where it benefits a different type of discussion. For example, if we are discussion "this generation" then it would be helpful to display this to add to the discussion...

12 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Want to know for sure...write the branch as creator of this site and ask them permission to "discuss" leaked photos of unreleased JW literature. I think we all know what their answer will be.

The discussion of these images is not the issue. Obedience to the slave is the issue. Copyright is also the issue. We recently had to change our favicon over this (see this announcement

The administrators are currently discussing a policy change. One idea is to link to images. This is what I have done above. I didn't upload a copy of that image to JWTalk. It is simply a link to the original source (it works simply by pasting the image link into the editor). Another idea would be to simply not allow topics like this, which wouldn't be all that nice, since they are both fun and encouraging.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

17 hours ago, Zephyr said:

We do not allow "leaked" pictures to be posted. Something leaked is stolen. It's something confidential that someone made public, betraying the confidence of the organization. That is not the case with the pictures in this or other threads. They are from the public side of the JW.org, so by definition they are public.

Maybe the moderator team will decide to make a change in policy or maybe not. I just want to clarify that JWTalk doesn't allow any leaked information to be posted.

It is good to remember that when the organization uploads a file, picture or what ever to a server in a non-secured, not private location that is readily available to the public simply by typing in the picture's address, it would be hard to say it is a "secret".  No hacking, prying or devious means are used to look at it.  It is not "leaked", it is posted in a place open to the public without password or encryption.

If this site does not want the picture published, OK...but it is not "secret".  The Watchtower Corp pays Akamai Company to put them there on purpose.