JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

9 hours ago, jwhess said:

Our problem with older ones and those not tech familiar is that they need the absolute simplest way to participate.  The large "hand" at the bottom helps.

You can always use the keyboard shortcut so a simple tap on a key will raise and lower the hand (similar to using the spacebar to mute/unmute)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We decided to turn on the non-verbal communication so that hosts and co-hosts could use a thumbs-up instead of raise hand.  When we did, many then couldn't find the raise hand button for a long time.  Now with the latest update we don't need to that anymore and have deactivated that.   Keeping it simple for the less-techy ones is the best way. 

At our zoom meeting this morning I disabled reactions and was looking forward to use the "Raise Hand" button on the main menu bar.

But after logging in to our congregation zoom meeting, the Reaction button was enabled and I had to use the Raise hand button in the reaction button popup.

Looks like the individual zoom clients have no control over the Reaction button. Showing of  the Reaction button is totally under the control of the zoom host computer. I checked my zoom settings and the showing of the Reaction button was still unchecked on my zoom windows client.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:37 AM, Loopy said:

Our host and co-hosts say they’re updated and they still don’t have the raise hand feature. 🤷‍♀️

Have no idea. 

as far as i know, the current update is a manual one.

So the brothers might be assuming that because they haven't had the update dialog popup they are fully up to date.

But if they haven't done any manual updates they now are several versions behind.

zoom will eventually push a compulsory update but until then they need to go into account settings and do a manual check for update.

you may need to tactfully enquire further 🙂  :poke:

On 1/3/2021 at 5:36 AM, WilliamChew said:

At our zoom meeting this morning I disabled reactions and was looking forward to use the "Raise Hand" button on the main menu bar.

But after logging in to our congregation zoom meeting, the Reaction button was enabled and I had to use the Raise hand button in the reaction button popup.

Looks like the individual zoom clients have no control over the Reaction button. Showing of  the Reaction button is totally under the control of the zoom host computer. I checked my zoom settings and the showing of the Reaction button was still unchecked on my zoom windows client.

as soon as you go into the advanced settings (web interface) most of the things you change are account settings not individual ones.

so any changes you make will apply to meetings YOU host or set up, but not necessarily to meetings set up or hosted by others.

the general idea is that a meeting or conference host can disable features that he doesn't want participants to be able to access, eg extra things that may be distractions or disruptive depending on his use case.
so the bottom line is if the individual meeting host turns them off you cant turn them back on.

Anyone else use OBS with their Zoom meetings?

I use OBS with the Virtual Camera feature.  At first I used it for a timer.  It means that I'm not on camera for most of the meeting (not a bad thing), except when giving a meeting part or comment.  But then I started using for pictures when giving a public talk, instead of the share screen.  Has a nice fade in/out effect as well.  Also you can create special effects, like picture-in-picture, or split-screen (camera on one-side and a picture on the other).  

8 hours ago, Manwithnoname said:

as far as i know, the current update is a manual one.

So the brothers might be assuming that because they haven't had the update dialog popup they are fully up to date.

But if they haven't done any manual updates they now are several versions behind.

zoom will eventually push a compulsory update but until then they need to go into account settings and do a manual check for update.

you may need to tactfully enquire further 🙂  :poke:

Eureka! This morning during service, we all got back on this subject. The one elder who is the co-host for the meetings who has no yellow hands and has his settings for automatic updates.  Anyway, I mentioned about it being an update that has to be done manually. 😁 So in a bit he said he has to leave for a few minutes but will be coming back. 

When he got back he says: “You’re right Linda it was a manual update.” 😁😁😁😁   

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

5 minutes ago, On the huh said:

Anyone else use OBS with their Zoom meetings?

I do. I handle the video for my congregation meetings. I have an Only T 5 min countdown scene I display before the meetings using the OBS virtual camera. I display all of the pictures with it as well. Whenever a picture is to be discussed, I spotlight myself. Then I have different webcam scenes with a green screen image (chroma key enabled) so I can show myself.

26 minutes ago, TylerD said:

Whenever a picture is to be discussed, I spotlight myself

I've been doing that for the Watchtower study.  Except I leave it the conductor as to whether he wants to spotlight it or not, depending on how he wants to lead the study.  (Conductor is also the host).  But it means the picture is there somewhere on the screen for others.  

3 minutes ago, bigvince said:

I tried using OBS, sounded good, then wasn't very intuitive or easy for me to use so I stopped.

It does take some learning at first.  But with lockdowns I had plenty of time on my hands.  Initially, I wanted to learn how to use it for streaming.  But then I put my new skill to good use for something better - Zoom meetings.

I found it helpful to setup hotkeys for the different scenes I use.  And for giving public talks, I set up each picture scene with a Ctrl + Num hotkey, and then mark on the outline with a number when to show the picture.  It also confuses the a/v brother who would normally be in charge of showing pictures when you start doing it yourself :D 

Some Congregations do not allow you to "do it yourself" ... they only allow the assigned A/V personnel to share screen - others are more open to allowing the speaker to share the screen from his PC

4 hours ago, Loopy said:

Eureka! This morning during service, we all got back on this subject. The one elder who is the co-host for the meetings who has no yellow hands and has his settings for automatic updates.  Anyway, I mentioned about it being an update that has to be done manually. 😁 So in a bit he said he has to leave for a few minutes but will be coming back. 

When he got back he says: “You’re right Linda it was a manual update.” 😁😁😁😁   

Hey Linda I have never had the option for automatic updates on zoom, It will show up there is a new update in blue on top when you open zoom and if you click your profile picture you can check for updates. I understand some of the brothers might think it updates itself but it doesn't.

4 hours ago, Trippyx87 said:

Hey Linda I have never had the option for automatic updates on zoom, It will show up there is a new update in blue on top when you open zoom and if you click your profile picture you can check for updates. I understand some of the brothers might think it updates itself but it doesn't.

On a Windows PC, with Zoom open to the Join page, right-click the avatar picture at the top right of the page.  The "check-for-update" choice is a little more than halfway down the list.

17 hours ago, Trippyx87 said:

zoom has 3 types of updates.

it has web only ( we dont use - its for testing purposes only. )

it has manual updates that need to be Manually done as mentioned.

it also can push automatic updates that force all users to update when they log in. 

there is no option to choose whether you update automatically or not.

most updates are manual, occasionally zoom will push a auto update which will force everyone to update to a certain version level.

New  Zoom  update available 

5.4.9 (59931.0110)

Release notes of 5.4.9 (59931.0110)
Changes to existing features
-Blocking or warning of unencrypted traffic
General features
-Additional MSI/GPO option
  -Do Not Disturb when sharing - EnableDoNotDisturbInSharing
  -Enforce internal meeting authentication - SetDevicePolicyToken
Meeting features
-Host can admit participants from the Waiting Room while within a Breakout Room
Resolved Issues
-Resolved an issue with green tint on users videos seen by other participants
-Security enhancements
-Minor bug fixes

When Brother Ames sends me an invite to the service meeting he is hosting on Zoom

I can never get on.  

Whether I try by phone or tablet, by direct linking, or typing the invite info in,

all I ever get is "connecting".  

Then, after what seems like forever, this message from Zoom appears:   

394794609_ZoomErrorCode.jpg.b162ac54f5aa499949b1c9867a0511a1.jpg

I reported the problem to Zoom, but that was weeks ago and Zoom has never

gotten back to me.

Brother Shawn suggested that I start a post here, in the hopes that someone

will know what, if anything--besides a Zoom update in the playstore--can be done

to correct Error 104103.

This Error only happens with Zoom invites from Brother Ames.

I can join our weekend and midweek, and the other three elders' service meetings with

no problems.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance with this matter. :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I’m assuming you tried the Meeting ID & Password too? 

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

When Brother Ames sends me an invite to the service meeting he is hosting on Zoom

I can never get on.  

Whether I try by phone or tablet, by direct linking, or typing the invite info in,

all I ever get is "connecting".  

Then, after what seems like forever, this message from Zoom appears:   

394794609_ZoomErrorCode.jpg.b162ac54f5aa499949b1c9867a0511a1.jpg

I reported the problem to Zoom, but that was weeks ago and Zoom has never

gotten back to me.

Brother Shawn suggested that I start a post here, in the hopes that someone

will know what, if anything--besides a Zoom update in the playstore--can be done

to correct Error 104103.

This Error only happens with Zoom invites from Brother Ames.

I can join our weekend and midweek, and the other three elders' service meetings with

no problems.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance with this matter. :D 

I’m assuming you tried the Meeting ID & Password too?

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

4 minutes ago, Loopy said:

I’m assuming you tried the Meeting ID & Password too? 

I’m assuming you tried the Meeting ID & Password too?

Yes.   Brother Ames is going to send me an invite around 3:00.

He said he completely updated everything on his laptop and he thinks that might help.

We'll see :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif