JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

5.5.3 is for iOS only.

Current Release

February 12*, 2021 version 5.5.3 (12529.0212)

*The iOS release requires Apple approval and may take a few additional days to appear in the App Store.

Resolved Issues

• Resolved an issue for a subset of users regarding users unable to call or start a meeting with a contact.

1 hour ago, Arumuga Raja said:

An elder in my congregation has an Android phone. In the zoom meeting the Android phone only shows four devices in one area. So in the discussion area he is working very hard to see. if there is any way to do that? 

It is not a good idea to use an android phone for this purpose. Right at the beginning there was the instruction to use a desktop computer.

Perhaps he should assign the answers to individual brothers in advance. See S-179

3 minutes ago, TylerD said:

Not the waiting room, but they will hear the sound when someone enters or leaves the meeting.

Then I misunderstood what it was for. I thought the sound played when someone entered the waiting room and was waiting to get let into the meeting.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Then I misunderstood what it was for. I thought the sound played when someone entered the waiting room and was waiting to get let into the meeting.

It will play a sound for the waiting room. Only the host/co-hosts will hear it. But when they're admitted and joins the meeting, then everyone else hears the sound.

Edited by TylerD

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, The German said:

Google Playstore has the 5.5.4 update available.

I hope this update fixes my 104103 error messages and the constant freeze ups even with a great internet connection speed.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

3 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I hope this update fixes my 104103 error messages and the constant freeze ups even with a great internet connection speed.

This may not be a fix on your end, but I was having constant freeze ups too and switching to an ethernet connection resolved it for me.  

4 minutes ago, LRJW said:

This may not be a fix on your end, but I was having constant freeze ups too and switching to an ethernet connection resolved it for me.  

Thanks for the tip, Brother Luis. :D 

I only have ethernet/wi-fi internet.  Speeds range between 150 to 65 Mbps.

I get less than 1 bar service from Verizon, 

so, on top of the 80 bucks Verizon charges us for our phone service,

I have to fork over another 25 bucks to our local university to get wi-fi.  

(Their tower is less than a mile from our farm, so we get great internet speeds.)

I know the freeze ups were being caused by Zoom because this problem has been going on

for almost a year now.    Every other Zoom update causes my Zoom to freeze up every few 

seconds.  During these 'bad update' interludes, I connect to the meetings via the phone tie in.

Anyway, this morning's Zoom update was a 'good' one and the freeze up issue has been resolved.

Now, if I could only get rid of the 104103 'Cannot Connect to our Server' Error issue...

:D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Zoom notice: Update for Australia

Zoom

Australia Zoom Phone certificate update: 3/13/2021

Upcoming scheduled maintenance noticeWe will be updating the Zoom Phone platform to use a Trusted Public Certificate Authority. This change will take affect for users based in Australia region/SIP zone on March 13, 2021.

Zoom Phone admins should ensure that they have updated their public certificates on their devices and carrier if needed. Zoom Phone users must be on Zoom desktop client or Zoom desktop app 5.0.5 or later for full functionality.

For more information and to see when this change will be implemented for other regions, please see: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360056087612

Start time

Mar 13, 08:00 PST

Estimated duration

4 hours

Components affected

Zoom Phone

View full scheduled maintenance details
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360056087612?mobile_site=true

Old (Downunder) Tone

One of the new features in the latest update is this

Clearer designation of shared content 
When sharing begins, a notification is provided over the shared content, clearly showing what you are sharing and when participants are able to see the content. Requires at least 80% of participants to be on version 5.5.4 or higher for the host to be notified that the shared content is visible to participants.

Tried it in a private test.  Works well.  Tells you that your share is now being viewed by others.  Handy feature just to know that others can see the screen share, and you haven't done something wrong by mistake.

However, when I shared at the meeting, I didn't get the notification.  Indicating that less than 80% of the congregation have yet to update.

6 minutes ago, bigvince said:

So since the last update, when I create breakout rooms, I can't create a separate room for meetings ince the other rooms are all full. How would I do that?

After you have automatically assigned the participants to the breakout room and opened the rooms, you can not create an additional room. The additional rooms need to be created before opening the rooms with the Add a Room button.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the upcoming update on the 22nd, Monday. There doesn't seem to be any new features for Zoom Meetings. It's mostly Webinar, chat, and Phone (which are not used for congregation meetings). The only thing of interest is some of the resolved issues.

• Minor bug fixes
  • Security enhancements

It also says it resolves error 103033, but I did a search and it says that is a error for those joining a webinar, which does not apply for our meetings.

Edited by TylerD

Good morning. Question. When sharing on zoom, I share on a different desktop on my mac since I only have 1 monitor. How can I share only the content and always have the video panel and meeting controls hidden? i have to set it up every first share. Can I just turn them off completely?

I'm not particularly familiar with the differences with Mac, but on Windows, when you click the Share Screen button, you can choose which window you want to share. Click the application the video is playing from and to hide the meeting controls (when sharing), there is a hotkey you can press. Go to Settings, Keyboard Shortcuts, and find Show/Hide Floating Meeting Controls.That will tell you what hotkey it is on Mac. Once you find it, click the check box to enable it.

image.png.0c4da80b3f96c7bd6cf1798e9b3156a6.png

Keep in mind, if someone enters the meeting waiting room, the meeting controls will reappear and you will need to press the hotkey again to hide the meeting controls.

Edited by TylerD