JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tips for Zoom Operator (The A/V Brother)

22 hours ago, Qapla said:

A couple questions about this

• Is that the letter "O" or the number zero "0"
  • Do you use a space as "O Person's Name"
  • Is there not a space as in "OPerson's Name"
  • Will this also move someone name that begins with "O" to the top of the list
    • as in "Osbourne"
    • O'Malley

It's a '0' as in the number zero, not the letter O. 

So it would be: 0 Person's Name, or in your Irish example: 0 O'Malley.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:54 AM, Qapla said:

In your instructions you include

A couple questions about this

• Is that the letter "O" or the number zero "0"
  • Do you use a space as "O Person's Name"
  • Is there not a space as in "OPerson's Name"
  • Will this also move someone name that begins with "O" to the top of the list
    • as in "Osbourne"
    • O'Malley

We use a hyphen to keep WT reader, conductor at the top of the participants list

- Osbourne

That has been a problem here, some friends don't have a Zoom account so when they join a meeting it uses their device name. The brothers have reminded everyone to rename themselves but they forget. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

54 minutes ago, thenewworld said:

Since we've been instructed to use the 'waiting room' feature in Zoom, we changed the default message to the one below, which is a bit more helpful...

The waiting room message can be customized in the Meetings  (Advanced) settings inside the Zoom account.

waiting_room.png

Changing the default message for the waiting room is not available for Zoom accounts provided by the branch ☹️

To edit waiting room info you need to be the administrator.

In the Admin area.

1) go to Account Management

2) Account Settings 

3) Look to the right you will see Meeting 

4) In Meeting (Advanced)

5) Scroll down to Waiting room

6) Customize the title, logo, and description (with the pencil symbol)

7) Hit the pencil symbol and you are now in the editing screen.

8 Then save

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

7 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

That has been a problem here, some friends don't have a Zoom account so when they join a meeting it uses their device name. The brothers have reminded everyone to rename themselves but they forget. 

Are you sure? I use PC to login without an account but I can set my name before joining a meeting. I also can change the name after joining. But I don't know about iOS or Android.

3 hours ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

Are you sure? I use PC to login without an account but I can set my name before joining a meeting. I also can change the name after joining. But I don't know about iOS or Android.

Correct - you don't need an account to change your name when you join a meeting. It's possible the host has not unticked the option for participants to rename themselves AFTER joining.

• 2 months later...

For those using OBS on a Mac, you might be interested to know that there's now the ability to input the OBS as if it's a webcam, which makes it much easier than screensharing:

The OBS feed will appear constantly instead of your webcam, and if you want to show it to everyone, you just click the ’Spotlight my video’ option for your ‘webcam’.

Here’s the instructions (MAC ONLY):

• Download and install the latest version of OBS from the official website.
  • Download the latest .pkg installer on the Releases page
  • Run the .pkg installer (entering your password when required)
  • If you're already running OBS, make sure to restart it.
  • Restart any app that was running during the installation process that is supposed to pick up the camera.
  • To start the virtual camera, go (in OBS) to ToolsStart Virtual Camera.
IMPORTANT: Make sure that the master Audio monitoring setting in OBS is set to ‘iShowU audio’ and make sure that the ‘Microphone’ input on Zoom is also set to iShowU.

We received a video tutorial a couple days ago on how to use Zoom for meetings. Although I was already familiar with most of what is explained there, there was something that was completely new to me:

When you share your screen to show a picture or a video, you can go to Advanced and select the area of the screen to be displayed. This is much much easier than sharing, clicking play, then going full-screen, then at the end of the video changing again to be able to stop sharing. Besides, it prevents the upper bar from appearing as an annoying grey box in the upper part of the image. It looks much more professional and less amateurish.

I'm going to try this at our meeting today.

21 minutes ago, carlos said:

When you share your screen to show a picture or a video, you can go to Advanced and select the area of the screen to be displayed.

I have been constantly using this feature since day 1, and it is a must use feature for all A/V brothers. You can choose so that only the videos section of your monitor can be broadcasted to the screen share, so that other unnecessary part of your desktop will be excluded from the stream.

I use a program that allows me to play the video in a fixed resolution. (1280x720) This makes me very easy to set up the videos in advance every meetings, and ensure the videos I stream are in their original quality. (i.e. no resolution change)

On 7/15/2020 at 12:38 PM, Hinata said:

I use a program that allows me to play the video in a fixed resolution. (1280x720) This makes me very easy to set up the videos in advance every meetings, and ensure the videos I stream are in their original quality. (i.e. no resolution change)

This works fine on my PC which has a more square monitor. I tried to do it last night in my wife's laptop that we use for Zoom meetings, but her monitor being longer there was no way to select an area that leaves the bar outside without removing a good size of the video itself.

Then I read your comment and tried resizing the JW Library window to a more square shape. It works now, I just don't know if the video quality is the same.

• 4 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 5:19 PM, Portsmouth said:

Good point but what I intend to do is that we use a meeting intro video (which contains Zoom instructions) which plays background music. Sometimes we need to stop it short due to timing requirements, and I want to avoid the abrupt stopping of the music, if that makes sense. A gradual fading of the audio would be more polished way to finish it off. As OnlyM doesn't have an inbuilt volume control in the app, I'm not sure how this can be done.

A very minor detail, but I'm bit of a perfectionist....😊

Brother Portsmouth........we’re you able to make this video ? I am interested in hearing about it 

On 4/25/2020 at 5:19 PM, Portsmouth said:

Good point but what I intend to do is that we use a meeting intro video (which contains Zoom instructions) which plays background music. Sometimes we need to stop it short due to timing requirements, and I want to avoid the abrupt stopping of the music, if that makes sense. A gradual fading of the audio would be more polished way to finish it off. As OnlyM doesn't have an inbuilt volume control in the app, I'm not sure how this can be done.

A very minor detail, but I'm bit of a perfectionist....😊

This should not be that difficult. You can share your computer sound with Zoom. The volume control on the computer will still adjust the volume of the music that is sent to Zoom. 

The volume of you mic is adjusted from inside Zoom as is the volume of the Zoom output and should not be affected by lowering the volume of the music.

At least my attempts to test it seem to work that way ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We have not had to play any sound as we have not had any student go overtime using Zoom. If it does occur, we will just say something ... unless we mute them because they just don't stop.

If a timer "sound" is needed, a simple mechanical bell can be used by an attendant with his mic turned on.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Latest Zoom update version 5.4.7 (59784.1220)

Host and co-host can finally use the raise hand feature 😁

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360053176572-New-updates-for-December-21-2020

• Raise hand for host and co-host - Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS
    Hosts and co-hosts can utilize the raise hand feature along with meeting participants and webinar attendees.

Latest Zoom update version 5.4.7 (59784.1220)

Host and co-host can finally use the raise hand feature 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360053176572-New-updates-for-December-21-2020

• Raise hand for host and co-host - Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS
    Hosts and co-hosts can utilize the raise hand feature along with meeting participants and webinar attendees.

Yayyyyy!
I've been a hand clapper!