JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NPC: China moves to impose controversial Hong Kong security law

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1394 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Have we been operating freely and openly in Hong Kong ?

Because Beijing is in the process of circumventing Hong Kong's parliament and introducing national security rules.

It sounds like Hong Kong will become more subordinate to the communist government which will impact our activity as well.

Pray for the brothers ...

https://apple.news/ApcW7rF-TTmaAWe-8T1vUJw

China's ruling Communist Party has set in motion a controversial national security law for Hong Kong, a move seen as a major blow to the city's freedoms.

The law to ban "treason, secession, sedition and subversion" could bypass Hong Kong's lawmakers.

Critics say Beijing is breaking its promise to allow Hong Kong freedoms not seen elsewhere in China.

Pro-democracy activists have called for mass protests against what they see erosion of Hong Kong's autonomy.

Anger was already apparent on Friday, as a group of protesters descended on China's Liaison Office in Hong Kong.

The draft law was submitted at the annual National People's Congress (NPC), which largely rubber-stamps decisions already taken by the Communist leadership, but is still the most important political event of the year....

Well, this story is all over the news today.  This is BIG.

Essentially, a free society has just come under an authoritative regime.

I can't imagine that our freedom of worship will escape the consequences.

Our form of worship in mainland China will now be extended to Hong Kong. Very unfortunate.

3 hours ago, Doug said:

Essentially, a free society has just come under an authoritative regime.

I can't imagine that our freedom of worship will escape the consequences.

Our form of worship in mainland China will now be extended to Hong Kong. Very unfortunate.

2018 Annual meeting.. Bro Sanderon said that we won't be surprised if bans will spread....We can't prevent prophecy to be fulfilled. I think people of Hongkong will fight to the end... GT is near. 

Edited by JennyM

8 hours ago, JennyM said:

Bro Sanderon said that we won't be surprised if bans will spread...

I think people of Hongkong will fight to the end... 

Yes. This development isn't persecution against us , per se'.

It's just the communist regime asserting itself as it fears a revolt.

OUR freedom of worship will be collateral damage.

Edited by Doug

Clarification

On 5/22/2020 at 11:56 PM, Doug said:

You didn't provide a link.

Secular News in the Mainstream Media

A public forum for discussing secular news from around the world, whether the mainstream media is in the form of articles or videos. Please remember to link to the source. (Publicly visible)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

2 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

You didn't provide a link.

No, I know.

My comment wasn't a rebuttal over moving the topic from Secular News.

I'm not that thin-skinned.  I didn't even notice that Tracey's identical topic wasn't moved.

I am managing to Zoom, but importing a LINK still eludes me. 

6 hours ago, Doug said:

It's all good. I am just explaining why I was confused and moved the topic as a result. If there is an identical topic, then I can merge the two together.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On 5/25/2020 at 2:42 AM, Tbs77 said:

Protests were imminent.....
Keep supplication for the well being for the brotherhood!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/24/hong-kong-protests-unauthorised-rally-police-china-laws

Hong Kong
Hong Kong police fire teargas as thousands rally against China's new security law – video

They were protesting for months since last year. 

12 hours ago, Doug said:

Highlight the entire link.  Copy.  Paste in the discussion box on JWtalk.net.

If on a mobile device there is more often than not a share button.  Tap that and one of the options is copy URL.

• 1 month later...

The National Security Law is now in force.

Does this mean our ministry in Hong Kong will have to be adjusted ?

I would think so. JW's are viewed as a western religion. The ministry in mainland China is the future for HK.

The National Security Law is now in force.

Does this mean our ministry in Hong Kong will have to be adjusted ?

Adjusted from what it is currently? public preaching is still shut down globally and we don't know if that will ever change

But I think this all happened before, in 2009, in the China-administered city of Macau. I'm not sure what changes, if any, it effected in that land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any brothers or sisters on this forum who are living in Hong Kong and who could let us know what they are currently experiencing? I've been watching dozens of arrests as the new National Security law is being enforced.

The news said the bill was passed and announced at the MOMENT it was to be enforced. No advance notice, no nothing. I'm sure our friends in Japan are watching prayerfully today. I know I am.

Edited by JudyO

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)