JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom Attendant Mental and Emotional Mega Super Support Club Thread

I know there are a plenty of threads concerning our Zoom meetings, technical issues with Zoom meetings, how to solve issue X or question Y, the funny side of our Zoom meetings etc. But I wanted to start a new thread for the support for all of us brothers who have been asked to work as Zoom attendants.

How does it work in your congregation, do you rotate the "chairs" or does everybody always hold the same assignment week in, week out? Do you allow one device per family or how does your congregation make it work? Does your congregation utilize only servants and elders with this task, or also other exemplary brothers? How do you make sure that you and your family get the full benefit of the spiritual nourishment when you are busy being an attendant?

--

In our congregation, we have a schedule (I LOVE doing creating lists and schedules... ❤️🤭) with rotating tasks. So far we have one brother for sharing the screen with song videos, one brother sharing pictures and other videos, two brothers handling muting and unmuting during audience participation and one brother admitting and doing the count. At the moment we are five brothers assigned to do these tasks + the BoE appointed Zoom coordinator who is actually really organized and takes this task seriously.

The downside with this is that there are no breaks, but everyone is assigned to do something each week. We shall see if anything changes now that Zoom is going to send an unmute request to those we have muted. We have been muting and unmuting the friends except for brothers handling parts who have been tasked to unmute themselves.

I used to have both me and my wife on the computer, but I did notice that this especially affected her concentration as I needed to click here, there and everywhere. I am not too bothered about this myself because my ADD makes it very difficult to concentrate anyway, I try to listen/watch parts of the meeting through JW Stream later in this week if there is something I have missed. But as a way of helping my little family to keep our spirituality, it has proved better for my wife to listen from a different device (although technically because of the participant limit each family should be on one device only). So in your prayers, please spare thought to the families of the Zoom attendants that may not always get full benefit of the meeting.

Since Zoom doesn't allow for co-hosts to raise their hands (MUCH needed feature!), we have solved the issue by having us co-hosts put the handclap reaction up from the reaction bar. Not the one that appears in the top corner of your participant tile since this disappears from view after a few seconds, but the one that will show up in the participants list. We take count by reminding everybody to rename themselves with the number of people that is listening in from their device. Of course people not knowing how to do it creates some difficulties, or when a family of four attends from two or three devices and each of them put 4 after their family name 😂

And then there are speakers who want to have 23 (!) pictures shown during their public talk...like our speaker last Sunday 😳🤯 (us Zoom attendants had to have a 80 minute meeting how to handle this the day before his talk!)

So all Zoom attendants on this forum, you are most welcome to come and join the club (thread) 👏🏻

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

Great thread idea 😁  The hosts and co-hosts really need the emotional support and tips to reduce their stress level :thumbsup: 

We use Google Forms to register the meeting attendance. On the left of the attached picture is what it looks like when a user opens the register. Then on the left after they Submit their information.

Untitled.thumb.png.4bdc2f50db4d1b14028ddf079840a369.png

Everyone needs to first open this Form before they get the meeting link.

After the meeting a brother is assigned to fix up the data, (check for any duplicates and delete them) then confirm the attendance with each service group overseer, before sending the final count to the secretary.

Some other congregations liked our setup and wanted to implement this for their meetings.

We created a Video with step by step instructions on how to do it.  (The video is only in Spanish if someone is interested.)

#1 We have 1 person assigned to audio/video, 2 assigned as attendants (waiting room, count, muting, etc), and study conductors are usually cohosts too and call on people. We rotate on a schedule.
#2 No limit on devices, our highest has been around 90 device connections with 170-180 on.
#3 Exemplary brothers, servants and elders all help out.
#4 I don't have a family, but most who are giving a part or hosting use a separate device. Some days I can pay attention and some days I can't, but that's usually not down to the assignment, but my cognition and mood.

This is how we handle.

1 Brother:  Handles images, very easy on an ipad

1 Brother:  Videos (including songs)

1 Brother: Spotlighting (no spotlighting used during the student school parts)

1 Brother:  Admitting and keeping an eye on gallery view (elder or MS)

1 Brother:  As backup 

Same brothers all the time, we do need to train more.

1st two Zoom meetings, 1 Brother did everything by himself and worked out great.  It was too tiring though but it was for experience so he can train others.

All participants have their videos off, makes it easier for all to pay attention to the meeting.  
if commenting, they turn on their videos and off afterwards,

Participants mute/unmute themselves, this frees up the attendants,  They are ready to help.

Congregation was trained beforehand so we’re all on the same page.  Training also included camera position and lighting.

We started in march with 2-3 helping and we trained others

we have branch direction - we need to follow that

they have 3 terms.....

Meeting Organizer - Elder / Servant ( 3 Elders rotate in my Cong)

Attendant - exemplary brother - Admits attendees - handles disruptions - can help with names and Camera (video) Microphones (participants) - Attendance

Audio/Video - Exemplary brother - runs JW Library - assists Attendant - mute/video/electronic hands (Total of 6 brothers rotate on a schedule)

thats it

in our cong the Meeting organizer creates the meeting - helps disperse it thru FSG overseers - starts meeting and then makes AV HOST for better sharing controls

he remains a co-host and attendant is a co-host

organizer stays on to help as needed behind the scenes

- average 65-80 connections and 160-180 in attendance

we turn off all video for Public talk ONLY

- mute all and allow them to UNMUTE when the are called on

- we use electronic RAISE hand button only ( hosts can use clap gesture)

- AV assist muting with a very few friends that struggle--approx 6 - all older friends on ipads and such

-  allow multiple connections - as needed (parts and behind the scenes) but we do recommend that friends limit to one connection if possible

- we ask them to add their last name, First name (attn) continue to try polling for attendance.....

- follow up requested after meeting with attendance to FSG overseer (this seems more accurate)

- we test all participants 45 minutes before mtg  for audio - video - distance - comments - interaction - pictures used - lighting

- leave Video and Audio on before meeting (approx 30 minutes) until last 3 minutes

-we remind friends of Etiquette and our procedures 3 minutes before meeting begins -and ask all to mute themselves as meeting will begin shortly

- leave audio and video on after meeting for 15-30 minutes - 1 brother spotlights each family (for 5 seconds) and goes thru ENTIRE cong that has video ON - everyone waves

we re-enabled HOSt Only chat - so he can ask those in waiting room to change their name - so we try not to admit generic ipad iphone or phone numbers

we do have 3-4 that struggle with muting themselves and we have either assisted or even removed them from the meeting

same thing for 1-2 sisters that might present an immodest view - even 1 brother that stood directly in front of camera for a song (mostly we just turn their camera OFF)

and YES - the Attendant does get LESS out of the meeting - just like in person @ KH...... thats why we love their sacrifice

hope that helps - feel free to ask more questions

We have a Host (Audio Video brother) and Co-Host. (attendant)

The Host controls all media, mutes and unmutes, and lowers all hands.

The co-host renames participants, takes the count, and generally is responsible for keeping things ship-shape in the background.

Works well. It can be intense, but we've gotten use to it now.

P.S. regarding the changes in relation to Zoom's update, we announced the changes and displayed an image of what the brothers would expect to see when they are asked to grant permission to access their microphone.

We used the same assignments that we have in KHS for running the sound, mics, and attendant. The sound is the A/V brother. Mics is the brother who assists with unmuting but that's going to be hard with the recent update. And the attendant let's people in the meeting and looks for anything distracting i the videos of people and other attendant type duties. I put up the schedule on the virtual information board for all to see, yes its password protected.

We rotate the schedule among brothers who qualify and also have a good computer setup for doing the job.

There is no need to to set up different Zoom meetings. Just create one and make it recurring with no set time. We use the same link for every meeting and the weekday meetings for service. Then the only thing a meeting organizer has to do is start the meeting and assign co-hosts. All of the elders have the ability to sign in to Zoom and start the meeting but they usually count on me to do it.

( hosts can use clap gesture)

Great idea. I had not thought of that.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, LoneWanderer said:

I know there are a plenty of threads concerning our Zoom meetings, technical issues with Zoom meetings, how to solve issue X or question Y, the funny side of our Zoom meetings etc. But I wanted to start a new thread for the support for all of us brothers who have been asked to work as Zoom attendants.

How does it work in your congregation, do you rotate the "chairs" or does everybody always hold the same assignment week in, week out? Do you allow one device per family or how does your congregation make it work? Does your congregation utilize only servants and elders with this task, or also other exemplary brothers? How do you make sure that you and your family get the full benefit of the spiritual nourishment when you are busy being an attendant?

--

In our congregation, we have a schedule (I LOVE doing creating lists and schedules... ❤️🤭) with rotating tasks. So far we have one brother for sharing the screen with song videos, one brother sharing pictures and other videos, two brothers handling muting and unmuting during audience participation and one brother admitting and doing the count. At the moment we are five brothers assigned to do these tasks + the BoE appointed Zoom coordinator who is actually really organized and takes this task seriously.

The downside with this is that there are no breaks, but everyone is assigned to do something each week. We shall see if anything changes now that Zoom is going to send an unmute request to those we have muted. We have been muting and unmuting the friends except for brothers handling parts who have been tasked to unmute themselves.

I used to have both me and my wife on the computer, but I did notice that this especially affected her concentration as I needed to click here, there and everywhere. I am not too bothered about this myself because my ADD makes it very difficult to concentrate anyway, I try to listen/watch parts of the meeting through JW Stream later in this week if there is something I have missed. But as a way of helping my little family to keep our spirituality, it has proved better for my wife to listen from a different device (although technically because of the participant limit each family should be on one device only). So in your prayers, please spare thought to the families of the Zoom attendants that may not always get full benefit of the meeting.

Since Zoom doesn't allow for co-hosts to raise their hands (MUCH needed feature!), we have solved the issue by having us co-hosts put the handclap reaction up from the reaction bar. Not the one that appears in the top corner of your participant tile since this disappears from view after a few seconds, but the one that will show up in the participants list. We take count by reminding everybody to rename themselves with the number of people that is listening in from their device. Of course people not knowing how to do it creates some difficulties, or when a family of four attends from two or three devices and each of them put 4 after their family name 😂

And then there are speakers who want to have 23 (!) pictures shown during their public talk...like our speaker last Sunday 😳🤯 (us Zoom attendants had to have a 80 minute meeting how to handle this the day before his talk!)

So all Zoom attendants on this forum, you are most welcome to come and join the club (thread) 👏🏻

My congregation is ASL so it is a little different. We have a couple of very technically Savy Brothers Who do a fine job. But the best I can do is Applaud. 

On 5/26/2020 at 5:31 PM, Myew said:

My participants list always displays all gestures, regardless if I am hosting or not. 🤨

Weird. Mine doesn't show in the participants list either. Only on the video square.

I know that the rest of the hosts here can see them as well.

I would recommend your host go to Zoom, Admin, Account Management, Account Settings, scroll down to In Meeting (Basic), and turn on and lock this feature for all users if any have not:

Nonverbal feedback
Participants in a meeting can provide nonverbal feedback and express opinions by clicking on icons in the Participants panel.