JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1324 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

4 minutes ago, jwhess said:

They came in Maroon as well as black.  I have one of each still in the original plastic wrap from the Society.  We used to have to pay for the literature at the counter when you picked it up at the hall.  These "deluxe" versions of the Bible cost a lot more that the regular (plain hardcover) Bibles which were $1.00 each.

nwt.JPG

In our congregation women went for maroon men went for the black. :) Pocket deluxe as well. I have both black and maroon of those somewhere.

14 minutes ago, Dove said:

we had a brother that actually did that all the time..it was at a time when we were encouraged not to let ourselves be brushed off too easily as it might be the last chance the HH got a witness and it meant their life, so he took this to heart and was very zealous..😊

But it was kind of difficult following him up on these same calls the next time around..:no:

The foot in the door was a common practice stemming from the 1930s. The earliest admonition I recall was the congragation being told that we do not want to put our foot in the door any more, but some that started in the earliest days of door to door work found it a hard habit to break. Even as late as 1960 it was still a problem. Following behind some of the elderly publishers was very difficult. One dear sister would close her visit to a disinterested person by telling them she was stomping the dust off her feet and they were going to die at Armageddon. Very small town, Trinidad, California 1961.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, AH173 said:

Can I get some clarification of the '900 worldwide' amount?

I looked a little but couldn't find anything to prove it if it's a year that you mean?

I wonder if Br. Hess may have a chart that shows the number of witnesses in each year.

I remember in our Kingdom Ministry on the inside cover it use to show how many witnesses each month. The Yearbooks too but I don't have any that go back to 1960..

Is it the year you are asking? I'm not sure what your question is :confused: sorry..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Here is the pocket edition "deluxe softcover compared with the standard size.  

nwt2.JPG

3 minutes ago, Dove said:

I looked a little but couldn't find anything to prove it if it's a year that you mean?

I wonder if Br. Hess may have a chart that shows the number of witnesses in each year.

I remember in our Kingdom Ministry on the inside cover it use to show how many witnesses each month. The Yearbooks too but I don't have any that go back to 1960..

Is it the year you are asking? I'm not sure what your question is :confused: sorry..

Yes I will get a copy posted for the early years.  Give me a minute or two.

1 hour ago, Old said:

In those days, 1954 in my case, we worked alone at the door unless it was a dangerous territory. I assume you were alone? I had to pray before I knocked on any door. I think sometimes I prayed that no one would answer the door. :(

1 hour ago, Dove said:

Yes I was. There weren't that many of us to go around at that time. 😊

When I came in the Truth there were only 900 worldwide.

Yes, lots of prayers..I used to pray, well not pray, but hope, that we would never reach the territory..😃

4 minutes ago, Dove said:

The above is the context of when you made the statement. 

Would it mean that there were only 900 sisters in USA in the adjustment for the TMS (that permitted sisters to join) away back in the day (at that particular time you are referring to)?

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

18 minutes ago, jwhess said:

They came in Maroon as well as black.  I have one of each still in the original plastic wrap from the Society.  We used to have to pay for the literature at the counter when you picked it up at the hall.  These "deluxe" versions of the Bible cost a lot more that the regular (plain hardcover) Bibles which were $1.00 each.

nwt.JPG

And when we were not charged anymore at the counter and kind of put on the honor system, we walked from the counter right over to the contribution box..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

13 minutes ago, Dove said:

Here is the chart from the 1950 Yearbook (showing the totals from 1949 and earlier.  If you need a specific year (or country) just let me know...❤️

IMG_20200715_0003.jpg

19 minutes ago, Old said:

The foot in the door was a common practice stemming from the 1930s. The earliest admonition I recall was the congragation being told that we do not want to put our foot in the door any more, but some that started in the earliest days of door to door work found it a hard habit to break. Even as late as 1960 it was still a problem. Following behind some of the elderly publishers was very difficult. One dear sister would close her visit to a disinterested person by telling them she was stomping the dust off her feet and they were going to die at Armageddon. Very small town, Trinidad, California 1961.

We had an older very zealous elder who would upon leaving the door, tell people that weren't interested that they were going to die! My h. new in the Truth was working with him one day that he said this and was aghast..

Yes we were more tactless in those days..but guess that's why we have Tact as one of the points to work on in MS..

23 minutes ago, Dove said:

I am sorry, I missed the note about 1960 KM.  Here is the service chart for January that year.

IMG_20200715_0004.jpg

2 hours ago, Dove said:

Yes I was. There weren't that many of us to go around at that time. 😊

When I came in the Truth there were only 900 worldwide.

Yes, lots of prayers..I used to pray, well not pray, but hope, that we would never reach the territory..😃

It is raher obvious that Dove dropped three zeros, should have read 900,000. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Our topic has been "Do You Remember".  Seeing this excerpt from 1960 KM reminded me.  Do you remember when RVs were Back Calls?

Yes and for many years westruggled to use thenew term.

Do you remember when meeting for service were called rendezvous?

25 minutes ago, AH173 said:

The above is the context of when you made the statement. 

Would it mean that there were only 900 sisters in USA in the adjustment for the TMS (that permitted sisters to join) away back in the day (at that particular time you are referring to)?

I'm so sorry, can't believe I would even think that. I can understand why you questioned it..It would have to mean I was very, very old!

It was 900,000 world wide, not 900. I remember distinctly when it became one million later on..

13 minutes ago, jwhess said:

I am sorry, I missed the note about 1960 KM.  Here is the service chart for January that year.

IMG_20200715_0004.jpg

Thank you so much for posting that Br. Hess. It made me realize my mistake..I forgot to add 3 more zero's...:uhhuh:

41 minutes ago, Old said:

Yes and for many years westruggled to use thenew term.

Do you remember when meeting for service were called rendezvous?

Wasn't it Service Center that was changed to Rendezvous Point?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

13 minutes ago, Mephibosheth said:

Wasn't it Service Center that was changed to Rendezvous Point?

I had forgotten that we used the term 'service center'. A search shows me that thaat was the common term for where we met for service. I only found one reference to 'rendezvous point' and that was refferring to a 1933 meeting for service. My wife and I recall rendezvous being used as a noun, not an adjective as in rendezvous point. Rendevous only shows up in a WT Library search 3 times in the KM. It went out of use after the first year, probably after an unbelieving husband heard his publisher wife say on the phone " I will see you at the same rendezvous as usual." It had a conotation.

58 minutes ago, Old said:

I had forgotten that we used the term 'service center'. A search shows me that thaat was the common term for where we met for service. I only found one reference to 'rendezvous point' and that was refferring to a 1933 meeting for service. My wife and I recall rendezvous being used as a noun, not an adjective as in rendezvous point. Rendevous only shows up in a WT Library search 3 times in the KM. It went out of use after the first year, probably after an unbelieving husband heard his publisher wife say on the phone " I will see you at the same rendezvous as usual." It had a conotation.

Yes I only remember Service Center. I always thought rendevous was much earlier. We never used it where I was.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Vacation Pioneers..

Me and my first wife, Vacation Pioneered together for a few months just after we got married..

Anybody remember the little tiny maps taped to cardboard that would fit in your suit inner pocket? Or the little aluminum holders for your time slips?