JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1323 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

11 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

No. Never got one. emoji945.png emoji158.png emoji91.png

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

Not even on Gestures?

Everyone got a "W" on Gestures 😂

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Public Talks on Sunday used to be an hour long.  They included demonstrations or Question & Answer to the audience.  I used to print the answers out on 3"x5" cards and have the Congregation Servant give them to the best speakers available.  They were my "shills" in the audience in case no one knew the answers.  When you gave a talk in a different congregation, you had to arrange for everybody in the demonstration to come with you.  One time we took 3 cars.

With the opening song & prayer, closing song & prayer, middle song plus 15 minute break....the meetings went 2 1/2 hours if everything went on time.  If either the speaker or WT conductor went overtime, then we started going toward a 3 hour meeting.

Remember when you got baptised, when the brother took you out of the water, the water current almost vibrating around your face during the ascending movement? I can't find the word to describe it... the feeling is still here... 17 years later... best day...

Edited by Dages

36 minutes ago, Dages said:

Remember when you got baptised, when the brother took you out of the water,

Agreed. I really remember it because of my feet came up, I got dipped TWICE! 

Should've bent my knees 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

16 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

I remember when the congregation had the average hours and report posted on a big board on the front stage.
It was updated weekly, as we reported weekly.
They were those 'lick-n-stick' on numbers, (mixed red and black about an inch tall) and before the TMS/SM there was the brother updating the figures every week.

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

20170918_140839.thumb.jpg.513aa1aaf02bbe56724dca56d3cf76a9.jpg

Edited by Shawnster

10 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

20170918_140839.thumb.jpg.513aa1aaf02bbe56724dca56d3cf76a9.jpg

In the later years (1960s) the chart was divided with the upper half looking like this one and the lower half was similar but showed the "Pioneer" averages for the congregation.  I was the only pioneer and everybody saw my "score".  They would say, "John didn't make his magazine quota this month" and things like that.  So embarrassing...🙄

Remember when the CBS didn't have a schedule and if you decided to visit another CBS you had to call and see what page they were on and if they had enough chairs?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

33 minutes ago, jwhess said:

In the later years (1960s) the chart was divided with the upper half looking like this one and the lower half was similar but showed the "Pioneer" averages for the congregation.  I was the only pioneer and everybody saw my "score".  They would say, "John didn't make his magazine quota this month" and things like that.  So embarrassing...🙄

This was the same experience an elder had in my congregation when he was a young pioneer back then.  

3 hours ago, AH173 said:

Agreed. I really remember it because of my feet came up, I got dipped TWICE! 

Should've bent my knees 

Same thing happened to me. I bent one of my knees the first time and the brother said I had to go under again..😃

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

19 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

I think this will be fun for all of us. 
I will start with, remember when one of of the brothers check with you if the 15th of the month arrived, and, you’d not turned in time.
Or the written reviews. I’m trying to remember if, initially, we turned them in and the brothers corrected them, then a bit down the road, we corrected them ourselves. 
Your memories of times gone by? 

The School Overseer (Servant) would grade the main questions with a 4-point scale.  On the back were some "scripture-matching" questions or something like these for 2-points each.  Then it ended with True-False questions worth 1-point each.

This is a copy of my 1957 review.  I had just turned 10 years old 2 weeks before.  I became a counted publisher in May of that year.  Ah...the memories...❤️

review1.JPG

16 minutes ago, Katty said:

I feel so young in the truth lol. The thing I remember is the secondary school that would be held in the library.
My second talk was in the second school, and I kept rattling on so much, I think my talk took 20 minutes instead of the supposed 5 minute talk 😆

Join the club Katty...we've all gone over our time limit---at times...it goes with the territory

I suppose!:uhhuh:

2 hours ago, Mephibosheth said:

Remember when the CBS didn't have a schedule and if you decided to visit another CBS you had to call and see what page they were on and if they had enough chairs?

Yes, I remember well.....does anyone recall that the magazines were twenty-five cents...I

was so glad when we stopped charging for the publications:yes:.

27 minutes ago, Katty said:

I feel so young in the truth lol. The thing I remember is the secondary school that would be held in the library.
My second talk was in the second school, and I kept rattling on so much, I think my talk took 20 minutes instead of the supposed 5 minute talk 😆

I remember the student talks being 6 minutes, and when they were shortened to 5 I had a hard time adjusting all the material I had gathered to a minute less. I thought it was all such good information that I didn't want to cut out any of it..😊

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I could recall how when doing the written review, the kingdom hall would suddenly become so quiet with only the sound of rustling papers and of friends furiously scribbling down the answers. It felt so weird. MH of course must cheat by preparing the answers for the written review beforehand. Something he still maintains is the expected course of action. 

There might be time when the question papers were handed out just before the start of the review but my memory fails me. That should keep the cheaters at bay.

After the papers were marked, the conductor would ask the audience for their answers to the questions and then read out the ones the society had prepared. After the meeting the official answer sheet would posted on the notice board.

22 minutes ago, nanceebgd46 said:

does anyone recall that the magazines were twenty-five cents

I remember when they were 5¢ each

I also remember when, as a Reg Pio, we had a quota of 100 hours AND 100 magazines a month - and coming up short could remove you from the Pioneer List

I also remember when Reg Pios were appointed by the Branch. It took a letter to the Branch to appoint and/or remove a Reg Pio.

I also remember when the TMS had 5 student talks - and, even the Bible Readings (talk #2) had an introduction and a conclusion.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 minutes ago, Mclove said:

I could recall how when doing the written review, the kingdom hall would suddenly become so quiet with only the sound of rustling papers and of friends furiously scribbling down the answers. It felt so weird. MH of course must cheat by preparing the answers for the written review beforehand. Something he still maintains is the expected course of action. 

There might be time when the question papers were handed out just before the start of the review but my memory fails me. That should keep the cheaters at bay.

After the papers were marked, the conductor would ask the audience for their answers to the questions and then read out the ones the society had prepared. After the meeting the official answer sheet would posted on the notice board.

In my congregation they were handed out like you said, just before the review started..

A little known aspect of the written review by many - even some Elders/Servants was that the review was technically an "insert" for the KM. They were given to the TMS conductor to keep until they were handed out.

And, since they were part of the KM, they were NOT supposed to be given to disfellowshipped ones attending the meeting.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Now that you mention that, I Do remember those inserts and I think there was a time when they weren't removed..it tested our being willing to wait until the meeting to fill them out..I think what some did was read over the questions and look up information 

4 minutes ago, Qapla said:

A little known aspect of the written review by many - even some Elders/Servants was that the review was technically an "insert" for the KM. They were given to the TMS conductor to keep until they were handed out.

And, since they were part of the KM, they were NOT supposed to be given to disfellowshipped ones attending the meeting.

but waited until the meeting to remember the research they did..

then we changed to the Oral Review..