JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1324 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I think this will be fun for all of us. 
I will start with, remember when one of of the brothers check with you if the 15th of the month arrived, and, you’d not turned in time.
Or the written reviews. I’m trying to remember if, initially, we turned them in and the brothers corrected them, then a bit down the road, we corrected them ourselves. 
Your memories of times gone by? 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

30 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

I will start with, remember when one of of the brothers check with you if the 15th of the month arrived, and, you’d not turned in time.

Yeah I can remember that. Now with the hourglass app on my phone after the 2nd or 3rd day of month I get daily reminders to turn in time. By about the 5th day the secretary will text group overseers and their assistants.

I usually turn it in when I take care of monthly accounts reports. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I remember when the congregation had the average hours and report posted on a big board on the front stage.
It was updated weekly, as we reported weekly.
They were those 'lick-n-stick' on numbers, (mixed red and black about an inch tall) and before the TMS/SM there was the brother updating the figures every week.

Old (Downunder) Tone

9 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Um, remember the 15 minute break, between the Public talk, and the WT study? 
Cigarette break for some. I kid you not!  

I've heard of that. 

WAY before my time.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Oké.. I'm not as experienced as some here() but let me drop a memory I love..

Piano music in the KH I loved it!
My mother told me that before my birth, her belly was going up and down when the piano music started.
I still love to listen to piano music.

(I like the orchestral arrangements more though, but the piano arrangement still touches a "snare" within me)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Yes. It was before I was in the truth, but publishers (not elders) could smoke in those days. (1970 something?)

Everyone knew smoking was bad. It wasn’t formally addressed until it became, “Jehovah, or the cigarette”. Ones had a time frame to quit. Or be disfellowshipped.

42 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Yes. It was before I was in the truth, but publishers (not elders) could smoke in those days. (1970 something?)

When was young  we had a Circuit Servant that smoked,  not publicly but in his trailer house. My Dad used his example for not giving up pipe smoking. In 1961 a close friend a smoker, was appointed as congregation servant. He had been an appointed servant for six years by that time. I was his assistant bookstudy conductor, age 15.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Miss Bea said:

Yup. I remember those days. We were going to a congregation in Huntington Beach California back then. I have 5 siblings and most of us were just old enough to run around in the parking lot to burn off some energy. I don't remember any smokers but I do remember a few brothers sitting in their cars for that 15 minute break..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

47 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Everyone knew smoking was bad. It wasn’t formally addressed until it became, “Jehovah, or the cigarette”. Ones had a time frame to quit. Or be disfellowshipped.

I believe it was six months..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Then, there was the time my son, about 7 or 8, came in and tugged at my sleeve. He’d set off a flare in the glove compartment. Did in the dash wiring. But, it, (a Pontiac station wagon) was fixed in time for the convention, the next week. 
Ah, then there was orange shag carpets throughout the hall. We raked them! 

In USA in my Ohio area we called them Goody Night when we finished up a publication or some other occasion.

Miss those Goody Nights!

15 minutes ago, AH173 said:

In USA in my Ohio area we called them Goody Night when we finished up a publication or some other occasion.

Miss those Goody Nights!

We tried to have Goody Night once a month. I conducted an afternoon CBS at the KH mainly for families that weren't able to go out in the evening and I had permission to have Goody Night (Afternoon) at the KH. Sometimes we spread a blanket for the kids and ordered pizza...😁🤣👍🏼

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Had wonderful time in Detroit on USA vacation and they had “ vittles “ night after the book study then just about the whole congregation came with us after Sunday’s meeting to a fabulous restaurant.  Thought New Zealanders were hospitable but no match for that.  Think I’m getting off the subject here .        
Can remember going out country witnessing for the WHOLE day.  Got to territory at 10 a.m. lunch at 12. Witnessed all afternoon had another meal then a talk in a country hall which we invited the public to.  Can only remember 1 person coming.  This was in the 50s. 
was probably about every 2 months.  About 40 in the congregation then, now  2 Congregations , about 300 total..

3 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

Yep~ this was usually the time period when I would get a good scolding! 

3 hours ago, Sepie93 said:

Oké.. I'm not as experienced as some here(emoji8.pngemoji8.png) but let me drop a memory I love..

Piano music in the KHemoji1787.png I loved it!
My mother told me that before my birth, her belly was going up and down when the piano music started.
I still love to listen to piano music.

(I like the orchestral arrangements more though, but the piano arrangement still touches a "snare" within meemoji56.png)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

Awww....my older sister who was my spiritual mom played for the KH - nice memories indeed!!!

Yes, I remember all those things.

We had several in the Congregation that went out for a smoke during the break.

Our "Service Board" was a chalk board and the numbers were put on with white chalk - It had a "duplicate" of the Service Report Slip painted on it with sections for Publishers, Vacation Pioneers, Regular Pioneers, Totals, Averages

Do you remember getting the Ministry School Schedule in the October KM - and needing to make sure you didn't misplace it between then and January?

Do you remember when most Congregations had the School/Service Meeting on Thursday or Friday night - because the Book Study was on Monday or Tuesday ?

Do you remember when the Circuit Assembly had "evening sessions" on Friday and Saturday nights?

Do you remember areas in your local territory that were "seldom worked" or "unassigned" that now have Congregations? (I live in one such territory)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

16 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Yes, I remember all those things.

We had several in the Congregation that went out for a smoke during the break.

Our "Service Board" was a chalk board and the numbers were put on with white chalk - It had a "duplicate" of the Service Report Slip painted on it with sections for Publishers, Vacation Pioneers, Regular Pioneers, Totals, Averages

Do you remember getting the Ministry School Schedule in the October KM - and needing to make sure you didn't misplace it between then and January?

Do you remember when most Congregations had the School/Service Meeting on Thursday or Friday night - because the Book Study was on Monday or Tuesday ?

Do you remember when the Circuit Assembly had "evening sessions" on Friday and Saturday nights?

Do you remember areas in your local territory that were "seldom worked" or "unassigned" that now have Congregations? (I live in one such territory)

Yes, to all this. 
Come to think of it, I am in a,  “seldom worked territory”, that is now a congregation. 
The assemblies, yes, I remember. 
What about the 5 day district assemblies? And, those wonderful meals? (Were they actually 5 days? I’m starting to question myself there. )

Do you remember getting a "W" on your school counsel slip and it stood for "Weak:? It was later changed to "Work On This".