JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wine Against Viruses

I found this article very useful, ok it is from the year 77 but it can help.

Canadian researchers at the Department of Microbial Hazards report that wine may be capable of killing both viruses and bacteria. Although the bactericidal qualities of wine have been known for years, the journal "Science News" says that this is believed to be "the first study of the effects of grapes and wine on viruses that affect men". The microbiologists observed that, in their test tubes, especially red wines were somewhat "effective against the herpes simplex virus, poliovirus and reovirus (evident cause of meningitis, mild fever and diarrhea)".

These findings provide additional support for biblical indications of the medicinal value of wine and as a mild disinfectant. The apostle Paul recommended to Timothy: “Use some wine because of your stomach and your frequent cases of illness.” And the Samaritan in the parable of Jesus tied the wounds of the former victim of an assault "by pouring oil and wine on them". - 1 Tim 5:23; Luc. 10:34

Naturally, Paul suggested “a LITTLE bit of wine” to Timothy and also declared that God's responsible servants should not be given “TOO MANY wine”. But in moderation, he can ‘rejoice the heart of mortal man’ with God's approval. - 1 Tim. 3: 8; 104: 15.

w77 1/9 pp. 522-523 Inside the News

Moderately.:)

2 minutes ago, Dages said:

I live in Bordeaux, France :D 

I live near Napa, California. We should set up an exchange....🍷

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Wine is my drink of choice.

I also am a home Wine maker. Red, White, Apple, Mead, Sake... Ah!

I don't get the flu and colds very much. Is this why? I won't argue.

There is a Brother that owns a Winery that is not small. https://www.leonesscellars.com/ I think they have some very good wines. Temecula, California has become a very big Southern California wine producer, and they produce some very good wines.

No argument from me about the value of Wine. Truly a gift from our Loving Creator.

14 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Vodka might have enough alcohol to be a hand sanitizer but I doubt that wine would. But then, some of you "home-brew" people...👍

Can alcohol be used to fight viruses?
No, drinking alcohol (ethanol) is not concentrated enough in alcoholic beverages to kill viruses. Washing or gargling with spirits therefore has no protective effect.

Alcohol from a concentration of 50% by volume and above kills bacteria if left to soak in for a sufficiently long time. However, alcohol solutions have only a limited effect against viruses, such as the new corona virus (COVID-19).

Spirits such as vodka, rum or liqueurs cannot fight viruses because their alcohol content is too low.

Drinking alcohol (ethanol) only works reliably as a disinfectant from a concentration of 80 % by volume. It can therefore only be used externally, for example for hand disinfection. For this purpose, the hands must remain well moistened for at least 30 seconds. However, the skin dries out quickly at such high concentrations, which leads to an additional risk of infection through injuries. Drinking alcohol is therefore not ideal for hand disinfection.

For healthy people it is usually not necessary to use disinfectants in everyday life. To protect against viral infections, it is better not to touch your face in public and to wash your hands well frequently.

For more information about this: www.infektionsschutz.de

Edited by Exter

Explanation for the source

I'm not a big wine drinker, but I love vinegars, and rarely feel ill.

3 hours ago, Gary910 said:

I don't get the flu and colds very much. Is this why? I won't argue.

I moved to Sonora, California, gold rush country, close to 40 years ago.  For decades when we ordered something to be shipped to us, the response from the shipper was "Sonoma?", a coastal wine producing area, that everyone was familiar with.  Our town had a slogan..."Sonora, not Sonoma.  Gold not grapes".  Well years later, our area has wine grapes growing everywhere that use to be beef cattle grazing lands.  

2 hours ago, Exter said:

Can alcohol be used to fight viruses?
No, drinking alcohol (ethanol) is not concentrated enough in alcoholic beverages to kill viruses. Washing or gargling with spirits therefore has no protective effect.

Alcohol from a concentration of 50% by volume and above kills bacteria if left to soak in for a sufficiently long time. However, alcohol solutions have only a limited effect against viruses, such as the new corona virus (COVID-19).

Spirits such as vodka, rum or liqueurs cannot fight viruses because their alcohol content is too low.

Drinking alcohol (ethanol) only works reliably as a disinfectant from a concentration of 80 % by volume. It can therefore only be used externally, for example for hand disinfection. For this purpose, the hands must remain well moistened for at least 30 seconds. However, the skin dries out quickly at such high concentrations, which leads to an additional risk of infection through injuries. Drinking alcohol is therefore not ideal for hand disinfection.

For healthy people it is usually not necessary to use disinfectants in everyday life. To protect against viral infections, it is better not to touch your face in public and to wash your hands well frequently.

For more information about this: www.infektionsschutz.de

Br. Albert, my comment was sort of a joke, but I did say "Hand Sanitizer" in my comment...:)

quote..."Vodka might have enough alcohol to be a hand sanitizer"

Even the original posting from the 70s Watchtower was referring to blood and body fluids (liquids inside the body).  So that article was not referring to treating air-borne germs or viruses. 

39 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

One of my favorite distilleries switched over to making hand sanitizer back in the early days of the pandemic.  

How does it taste?

Finger licking good?

:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D