JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Civil unrest over the presidential election?

I sense ugliness before January 20, 2021...a reverse coup d'etat (coup)? Why? Because it doesn't seem incumbent wants to leave office" ( Bro. Tracey )

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/15/politics/trump-biden-election/index.html - Sun November 15, 2020

"He won because the Election was Rigged," Trump said in one Sunday morning tweet. In another, he stood by his false belief he may be able to win the election and refused to concede, writing, "I concede NOTHING! We have a long way to go."

I think there is a very very big issue here, especially with the Proud Boys!

Things are gonna get ugly because more businesses have been destroyed since the George Floyd riots. I think that was a contributing factor to these riots. People have been angry about police brutality, true, but this is nothing new, but these riots are different. People have been so demoralized due to the economic issues introduced by the virus, putting many people in a place where they have nothing to lose anymore.

People are more desperate than in the past, and if groups of people believe there's a chance that increased lockdowns will render them homeless unless they do something, they're going to do something, desperate and drastic. Politics will be the catalyst, likely, but the virus had led to varied responses by governments that have likely led to a lot of mental health issues; people can only take so much before they explode.
It's stressful for Jehovah's people, as well, but we have a community to help us. We have reminders to be politically neutral protecting us from caring about the outcome of the election. We have Jehovah who will by no means leave us or forsake us. The world doesn't have these things. If their candidate doesn't win, either side believes the world is hopeless and what else is there, from their perspective?
I believe this kingdom campaign is going to have HUGE results. People are desperate. We can be patient when dealing with lockdowns and the economic pressures this pandemic put upon us, because we have something real that we put our hope in; the world really needs that, desperately right now.

:confused:   Wait a minute ... are we sure these things really happened?  I seem to have read in another thread that we can't trust the media - isn't that where these reports are coming from?  :cool: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

December 8 is a key date. Electoral college needs to declare who they will cast votes for. There could be "faithless electors" who vote different than what the people chose. (Some states punish or fine faithless electors,  others don't.) Note, they only declare their vote.  December 14 they actually vote. Then the counting of their votes is not actually due until sometime in January. (I know, complicated) But this appears to be Trump's wild card that will be played. And it is technically legal. It appears this is what Trump supporters are waiting for.

Edited by M.J.

In the meantime I've been hearing that some places are out of stock with guns, because so many people are buying them up.

We all need to stock up on food.  Even if there are no riots in your area, food distribution lines could get affected. Get ready. This is not over. 

:confused:   Wait a minute ... are we sure these things really happened?  I seem to have read in another thread that we can't trust the media - isn't that where these reports are coming from?  :cool: 

OT
The media is now anyone and everyone that wants to share their experiences and observations through social media...this is pure insanity.... 2 Timothy 3:1-5...is now on steroids!

Back OT
After this weekend in DC I wonder if this is going to escalate from civil unrest to civil war?

Let Your Kingdom Come!

December 8 is a key date. Electoral college needs to declare who they will cast votes for. There could be "faithless electors" who vote different than what the people chose. (Some states punish or fine faithless electors,  others don't.) Note, they only declare their vote.  December 14 they actually vote. Then the counting of their votes is not actually due until sometime in January. (I know, complicated) But this appears to be Trump's wild card that will be played. And it is technically legal. It appears this is what Trump supporters are waiting for.

OT
Supreme Court ruling on faithful electors July 2020 article

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2020/07/14/supreme-courts-faithless-electors-decision-validates-case-for-the-national-popular-vote-interstate-compact/amp/

Supreme Court’s “faithless electors” decision validates case for the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact

5 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

OT
Supreme Court ruling on faithful electors July 2020 article

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2020/07/14/supreme-courts-faithless-electors-decision-validates-case-for-the-national-popular-vote-interstate-compact/amp/

Supreme Court’s “faithless electors” decision validates case for the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact

From that article:

If the political parties do their job carefully and well, faithless electors cannot have any effect on the outcome of a presidential election—under either the current system or the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering what thoughts are now that it's looking more clear that Biden will be the next president.
I'm thinking there won't be much more unrest than before unless Biden and congress try to impose a national lockdown. Then people might be bucking a lot against that, and in some places things might get ugly, but it might vary from state to state. In at least one state, the police already stated outright that they will not enforce a lockdown nor arrest people for running their business.

Mod Note:

Please keep in mind this information from the Insight > Impartiality.

Respect for rulers. Christians are also told to respect rulers of human governments. This is not because of the personal qualities of these men, some of whom may be corrupt, nor is it because they may be in position to grant special favors. Christians respect rulers because God commands it; also because of the position of responsibility the office stands for. The apostle says: “Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God.” (Ro 13:1, 2) These men, if they misuse their authority, must answer to God. The honor, or respect, due the office is rendered to the one filling that office by the Christian according to the rule: “Render to all their dues, to him who calls for the tax, the tax; to him who calls for the tribute, the tribute; to him who calls for fear, such fear; to him who calls for honor, such honor.” (Ro 13:7) The honor rendered in this particular respect by the Christian above that accorded to ordinary citizens is not a showing of partiality.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Why I feel IMHO things will get uncivilized by January 20, 2021....

The Wild Wild West

Arizona Republican Party asks followers if they're willing to die to overturn election results
BY SOPHIE LEWIS
DECEMBER 10, 2020 / 2:18 PM / CBS NEWS

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/arizona-republican-party-overturn-election-results-death/

The Arizona Republican Party asked its Twitter followers this week if they would be "willing" to die to overturn President Trump's election loss.

On Monday, an activist associated with the "Stop the Steal" movement, which promotes baseless arguments that Democrats "stole" the election, tweeted, "I am willing to give my life for this fight."

In response, the official account for the Arizona branch of the GOP quote tweeted the sentiment, adding, "He is. Are you?"

And what about Pardon Me Mike?

Former national security advisor Michael Flynn shared a message calling on President Donald Trump to invoke martial law and have the military hold a new election.

Trump's former national security advisor shared a message asking the president to suspend the Constitution, impose martial law, and hold a new election

https://www.businessinsider.com/michael-flynn-shares-message-trump-martial-law-2020-12?amp

Unfortunately, there will be some that will drink the Kool-Aid

"Drinking the Kool-Aid" is an expression used to refer to a person who believes in a possibly doomed or dangerous idea because of perceived potential high rewards. The phrase often carries a negative connotation. Wikipedia

Anyone who remembers the tragic situation of cult leader Jim Jones and his followers knows what "drinking the kool-aid" means..

OT
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceweinstein/2018/03/29/two-great-reasons-to-stop-saying-i-drank-the-kool-aid/amp/

Yep!....
Two Great Reasons To Stop Saying 'Drinking The Kool-Aid'

1 hour ago, pnutts said:

All done. Let the fire works begin - civil war????? 🤕

It's not quite all done - there still has to be confirmation of the vote on Jan 6 - and some are trying to block/influence that ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

What speech? 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/politics/joe-biden-speech-electoral-college/index.html

"In a speech Monday night in Delaware, Biden launched the most direct and detailed defense of his victory yet -- and the harshest condemnation of Trump's flailing efforts to change reality."

He catalogued the failures of Trump's campaign and his allies in state and federal courts and state legislatures, and recounts that have not substantially changed vote tallies. He called efforts by Trump and his supporters to use the courts to overturn the election result "so extreme we've never seen it before."