JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Youtubers

I've recently been wondering about this: JW Youtubers.

What do you think about a Witness starting a YouTube channel that deals with, let's say, theocratic history, Bible topics and that sort of stuff?  Not a defense YouTube channel. 

I've seen some that post music or old videos from conventions. Some do make original renditions of kingdom songs.  

Not that I'm going to start one. Just thinking (^^) . I'm not sure if this the right topical category for this though

I've recently been wondering about this: JW Youtubers.
What do you think about a Witness starting a YouTube channel that deals with, let's say, theocratic history, Bible topics and that sort of stuff?  Not a defense YouTube channel. 
I've seen some that post music or old videos from conventions. Some do make original renditions of kingdom songs.  
Not that I'm going to start one. Just thinking (^^) . I'm not sure if this the right topical category for this though
I would absolutely love to make a channel that explains the truth and rebuts these ridiculous one sided videos of others but I don't. It drives me crazy how apostates use half truths and pick out sentences and phrases that completely misrepresent what we actually believe and people watch and listen to it. I can only leave it in Jehovah's hands.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

We are making disciples so jw.org is suited for ministry. We receive caution about using internet with the chance to draw us to apostates. We don't want to be tempted so we adhere to those things even the searching of some out of google. The difference is that many useful things come out of our talented brothers and sisters. They can learn to play them and enjoy them. We are advised to listen the original songs just like our brothers and sisters. The jw library is perfect for that. 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

We were directed several years ago that, since we have an official website, there is no need to create a personal website to explain and/or defend the Truth ... just direct people to jw.org

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We were directed several years ago that, since we have an official website, there is no need to create a personal website to explain and/or defend the Truth ... just direct people to jw.org

Yup... Exactly why I don't. There is still a part of me that wants to though. The imperfect in me I suppose. There is just such a large audience on YouTube that might not find jw.org. it would be nice to have a jw.org channel there that had comments disabled but all the videos were posted.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2018364&srcid=share

This article is about copyrighted material but it has some good information to consider before setting up a site to discuss the bible. My takeaway from this article is to follow the branch recommendations for preaching and refer people to jw.org.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

This article is about copyrighted material but it has some good information to consider before setting up a site to discuss the bible. My takeaway from this article is to follow the branch recommendations for preaching and refer people to jw.org.
Can the society use that to take down the apostate videos that "quote" and misrepresent all of the society's publications and videos?

59 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Yes, that's exactly true. 

I was kind of thinking about one that's not necessarily targeted towards non– Witnesses. 

Let's say I enjoy talking about theocratic history in different lands (moldova, south Africa etc), not as a preaching thing but just as a content creator.  What about that sort of thing

1 hour ago, Alexa said:

We are making disciples so jw.org is suited for ministry. We receive caution about using internet with the chance to draw us to apostates. We don't want to be tempted so we adhere to those things even the searching of some out of google. The difference is that many useful things come out of our talented brothers and sisters. They can learn to play them and enjoy them. We are advised to listen the original songs just like our brothers and sisters. The jw library is perfect for that. 

The content on Jw.org is unmatched for sure. From the storytelling to the acting and right down to the pictures.

47 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It's quite an informative article.

Posting the societies videos on YouTube is still something that some do unfortunately. What if the objective is not to preach but to just have an outlet to talk about something you enjoy? Like a hobby. It wouldn't be good for a Witness to be controversial in the topics of discussion🏄

42 minutes ago, Janade said:

Posting the societies videos on YouTube is still something that some do unfortunately. What if the objective is not to preach but to just have an outlet to talk about something you enjoy? Like a hobby. It wouldn't be good for a Witness to be controversial in the topics of discussion🏄

I hope you find the answers to your questions but be aware of the dangers and follow the guidelines from the branch to help you make your decision.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Posting the societies videos on YouTube is still something that some do unfortunately. What if the objective is not to preach but to just have an outlet to talk about something you enjoy? Like a hobby. It wouldn't be good for a Witness to be controversial in the topics of discussion
I don't see an issue with a personal youtube channel, as long as we are always remembering we represent Jehovah.

6 hours ago, Janade said:

I was kind of thinking about one that's not necessarily targeted towards non– Witnesses. 

Let's say I enjoy talking about theocratic history in different lands (moldova, south Africa etc), not as a preaching thing but just as a content creator.  What about that sort of thing

I can't think about any scriptural principle against doing that.

People who like football, crochetting, astronomy, languages, makeup, whatever, make and post videos about those subjects, for the benefit of those interested. If someone likes researching JW history I don't see any reason why they shouldn't post videos about that. Of course, anything about JWs on the internet will attract undesirable comments, but it's as easy as disabling comments for that channel.

10 hours ago, carlos said:

I can't think about any scriptural principle against doing that.

People who like football, crochetting, astronomy, languages, makeup, whatever, make and post videos about those subjects, for the benefit of those interested. If someone likes researching JW history I don't see any reason why they shouldn't post videos about that. Of course, anything about JWs on the internet will attract undesirable comments, but it's as easy as disabling comments for that channel.

That's the angle I was seeing it from.

I think it's also possible to delete comments from that section I am not mistaken. Anti JW's can be so ravenous.

I imagine apostates would flood the comments on such a channels videos, and try to make their own "counter response" videos. 

It would be a mess.
Depends on the type of channel. If it was not religious based then unless someone knew them personally as witnesses I doubt it.

I am really surprised the society doesn't use this to take down these apostate videos that will reair society videos and then trash it. What they can do is, just like movie and music industry, is upload their copyrighted content and then as soon as YouTube discovers any part of it from a user uploaded video, immediately removes it. If someone does it 3 times their channel is revoked for copyright strikes.

I wonder if they know about this feature.

1 minute ago, stpfarms said:

I am really surprised the society doesn't use this to take down these apostate videos that will reair society videos and then trash it. What they can do is, just like movie and music industry, is upload their copyrighted content and then as soon as YouTube discovers any part of it from a user uploaded video, immediately removes it. If someone does it 3 times their channel is revoked for copyright strikes.

I wonder if they know about this feature.

My experience is that the thousands of brothers that are working at the Branch facilities are amazingly smart and have Jehovah's spirit. If we think something needs to be done, they are probably well aware of it and are already working on it.

On 2/1/2021 at 12:55 AM, Janade said:

That's the angle I was seeing it from.

I think it's also possible to delete comments from that section I am not mistaken. Anti JW's can be so ravenous.

There’s a brother in the USA that uses YouTube as a platform to witness, but he gets bombarded by opposers repeatedly and make false accusation against him and I have seen him needing to make videos to constantly correct the false accusations.

It’s a sleepy slope.

23 hours ago, Lewis said:

There’s a brother in the USA that uses YouTube as a platform to witness, but he gets bombarded by opposers repeatedly and make false accusation against him and I have seen him needing to make videos to constantly correct the false accusations.

It’s a sleepy slope.

Oh, I've never heard about him. 

I think if one stays clear of controversial topics it will be quite fine, you know the ones aposties like to nag about. 

I don't know if I'll ever actually do this channel but if I do, comments will be off and I wouldn't show my face. It'll just be my voice with original content.